Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-20, 04:17 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm right there with you in feeling stiff in the morning. I like Classical Stretch and The Melt Method. Both feel good and definitely move at your own pace kind of work.

I sometimes feel as though Miranda's moving too fast, so I adjust the speed on the dvd player. Messes with the audio a bit, but not too badly.

An episode of CS and I feel much more prepared to do other things.
Old 09-05-20, 11:51 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! I appreciate it ! We have three cats. I forgot to mention that of course I feed them and give them fresh water before I do anything else!
I should mention that I also feed three TNR'd ferals in the morning, along with my indoor three. So, I'm going outside and walking around. And I start with stretching when I first get out of bed. After feeding the cats, I eat breakfast, and then wait a half hour. I clean their litter boxes in that half hour. If I had to workout a few minutes after I get up, I'd be too stiff also, especially in my lower back.
Old 09-05-20, 11:53 AM  
kat999

Following this thread! At 45, I find it's hard to get my workout in before eating or moving around gently, and it's hard to do it before lunch some days, too. Yet I remember that as recently as 10 years ago, I used to get up at FIVE AM every day and do a 5-mile Leslie workout (which I mostly ran/jogged in place in the "walking" segments) before breakfast, then had enough energy to get myself ready for work and out the door by 8 am. I have no idea where that energetic gal went, but she could burn 400 calories before the sun came up!
Old 09-05-20, 12:20 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mell View Post
I like this quick 7 minute mobility workout. I also enjoy Lee Holden's 7 minute workouts from his 30 day challenge program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmb86HcaGU
This a a beautiful routine.
I wish I could do it in the morning as I am also stiff as a board.

I cannot do it on the computer as I am still doing dvds, but perhaps I can just learn his routine, then do it by myself.

Did I also mention that his voice is so soothing.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 05:07 PM  
Hazel Porter

I sit with a heating pad against my lower back while I eat my pre-workout snack.
Old 09-05-20, 06:01 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it. I miss the days when I could just jump out of bed and exercise, but I have to be realistic and take a little time moving around first now.

I wish I could put off getting started by eating breakfast, but I have to exercise on an empty stomach. I feel nauseous if I eat anything first.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 07:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i also prefer to work out on an empty stomach - i just drink water to hydrate.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 07:36 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
I sit with a heating pad against my lower back while I eat my pre-workout snack.
That is a smart idea!

Old 09-07-20, 07:37 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I haven't done traditional strength training consistently in a while. I occasional pick up some light dumbbells to use with cardio, but not much else. I think it might be due to the morning stiffness. It's just so easy to get moving with cardio, and then to keep going once I'm loosened up. Strength training is stressful and adds tension. I need to change up my habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I should mention that I also feed three TNR'd ferals in the morning, along with my indoor three. So, I'm going outside and walking around. And I start with stretching when I first get out of bed. After feeding the cats, I eat breakfast, and then wait a half hour. I clean their litter boxes in that half hour. If I had to workout a few minutes after I get up, I'd be too stiff also, especially in my lower back.
Somewhat o/t: Do you live alone with three cats, or do you have other family members? My avatar kitty passed away in March, leaving me with just one. I've been visiting shelters to find a second one and have found two good candidates. I can't decide and I'm almost considering getting both. I live alone and someone once warned me to not get more cats than hands
Old 09-07-20, 07:44 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I haven't done traditional strength training consistently in a while. I occasional pick up some light dumbbells to use with cardio, but not much else. I think it might be due to the morning stiffness. It's just so easy to get moving with cardio, and then to keep going once I'm loosened up. Strength training is stressful and adds tension. I need to change up my habits.

Somewhat o/t: Do you live alone with three cats, or do you have other family members? My avatar kitty passed away in March, leaving me with just one. I've been visiting shelters to find a second one and have found two good candidates. I can't decide and I'm almost considering getting both. I live alone and someone once warned me to not get more cats than hands
I have been terrible about strength training the last few years due to injuries. I am not comfortable with doing it early in the day either. I am afraid of injuring myself. I did some on Saturday, so I could start it later in the day. I may try keeping it to one weekend day and maybe really pushing myself to do it one evening a week before dinner, which would be a big change for me. Twice a week is probably my limit due to neck/shoulder issues.

Tags
morning exercise, morning exercisers