Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-14, 04:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

karen voight - great weighted workout.

i did everything except the abs, making it a 62 min workout w/o stretch. the stretch was an additional 6 min, which felt nice.

when this vid first came out on vhs, it was difficult to do the entire workout. with the DVD version, you can choose which segment to do. somehow, segmenting it this way makes it less intimidating.

for example, after the warm-up i picked the UB segment, and you see that she's jamming with 3# weights, and somehow it's not so bad.

then it takes you back to the mix & match menu, and i selected the standing LB, and she has the 3# weights, which are obviously too light. but no big thing - you could easily select heavier weights, and it's only 6.5 min long.

then from there, i chose the LB floor work, and by then, i knew that it was only going to be 30 min long, and somehow, i got thru it. it is a difficult section, but i had a bit of a "rest" before doing it.

if you do the workout as is, i think it goes LB standing, UB, LB floor, abs.

so if you choose to pick heavy weights in the LB standing, and then the UB segment shows up, you are blindsided by the high reps. then mentally, you could get bummed out by the time the LB floor (which can be killer) section comes around.

and duh.... i didn't realize that the first move in the floor work omits the ankle weight on the moving leg....

....i know i over analyze these things, but you're all on the same page w/me, right???

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 07:49 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Today I tried The FIRM Vol 1 with Susan after so many years of it sitting on my shelf, unwilling to part with it but reluctant to do it because it was my least liked FIRM.
I had to look away from the screen a couple of times as the filming seemed too intimate but I took the high impact to the trampoline and had a blast with the whole workout.
I very much admire the amazing Susan then and now.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 09:54 AM  
Judy W.

Nobody has mentioned this one in awhile, and it used to be very popular, so I think it fits this category! Today I did Bootcamp Boogie with Petra Kolber. It's a pretty long workout -- 62 minutes, but is broken into "blocks" so it goes by quickly. It generally alternates light bootcampy moves with easy dance moves and higher intensity "intervals". Good workout -- worth pulling out.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 03:38 PM  
marya

I this tread so much! I thought that today I would finally be able to post about one of my vintage dustbunny virgins, Stephanie Herman's Fitness Through Conscious Movement (first workout on her Artistry of Fitness compilation DVD). Alas, 5 minutes into the workout, I joni-o'd it. Took it to the resell pile. Did my go-to, Gurmukh's Kundalini Yoga, which always makes me feel like a new-minted coin.

I did learn something from Stephanie in those 5 minutes, though. She said that when most people try to breathe more deeply and consciously, they tense their nostrils, blocking air flow. I know I do, and in the future I'll try to remember to keep my nostrils relaxed.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 09:36 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

I did Christy Taylor's Just for Fun-Still Jumping. It was fun!

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 09:49 AM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
I did Christy Taylor's Just for Fun-Still Jumping. It was fun!

Patrice
I did that recently too...and also Happy Hour. I love her vintage hi-lo workouts, although Happy Hour was (sad irony, considering the title) the workout where one of her backgrounders disappeared abruptly halfway through....
Old 07-01-14, 02:51 PM  
patrice
VF Supporter

I have never done that particular Christy. Guess I will have to look for it.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 05:09 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

dance step reebok!

that was awesome

i even remembered the arm moves
Old 07-08-14, 08:46 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Sunday I did "The Gauntlet" from Cathe's Terminator DVD. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it---if that's the right word since it's tough! Cathe's presentation seemed more natural and less plastic-y in that series than in her more recent DVDs (just my opinion---I still buy them since I like the workouts themselves, just not loving her more recent efforts as well as soon of the "old" series).

I think I'm going to pull out Cardio and Weights this week, since it was an earlier version of some of the circuit-type workouts that seem to be a standard now. I don't do much with my step these days, so it will be a nice change.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 10:31 AM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post

I think I'm going to pull out Cardio and Weights this week, since it was an earlier version of some of the circuit-type workouts that seem to be a standard now. I don't do much with my step these days, so it will be a nice change.
I did Cardio & Weights two days ago (before succumbing briefly to the heat and not working out again until this morning ) Love that workout! The cardio portions didn't seem nearly as intense as in some other workouts, but that's ok, because the weight sections are pretty tough, IMO. And there's the signature "Buttercup" song...

Tags
dustbunny, oldies but goodies, vintage, vintage vfers, vintage workouts