Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-20, 10:01 AM  
desderata

Susan, I am so terribly sorry for your shocking loss. The first rule is to be kind and compassionate to yourself. Everyone processes grief differently. I lost my parents within 3 weeks of each other. It's not the same, but my thoughts - you experienced an enormous trauma, and now you are grieving and feeling guilty (without reason, but emotions are emotions). Give yourself time. Do gentle workouts. Sleep as much as you need. Try to eat something healthy at every meal to nourish yourself, but other than that, do not add more emotional stress by worrying about your diet.

Hugs to you.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 12:48 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you.

My mom died suddenly last fall, I found about it minutes after I posted my last daily workout on VF. It's been more than a year and I have just begun to get back into exercising with simple walking and short strength routines off Youtube. So don't feel you have to rush. The whole world has had to change its routine drastically for covid, so you;re not alone in having a knocked-over apple cart. I think about how my mom grew up in post-WWII Japan, rebuilding from literally acres of rubble, and that helps give me strength to carry on.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 04:46 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

So sorry to hear about your mom, Susan! I'll be praying for you and your family at this time!

Only you know when it will feel right to exercise again and I would start out simple. Walking and something gentle (like yoga) might be good, when you're ready. Take the time to do what matters to you, with no-guilt about when you might come back to workouts again.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 07:14 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

You are such dear and wonderful people, I appreciate you so much.

Even as I was writing my first post, by the END of it, I thought "yes, 'getting back on the wagon' is a form of stuffing emotions." (at least FOR ME, and at THIS time.) It just became clear as I wrote about it.

I appreciate the responses so much I am crying. Thank you, thank you, wonderful people.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 07:15 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I think the suggestions to focus on self-care and on walking outdoors and finding some support are really true for me at this time, that's where I need to be for awhile.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 07:26 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I think the suggestions to focus on self-care and on walking outdoors and finding some support are really true for me at this time, that's where I need to be for awhile.
I think this is a great idea and hope it helps.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 10:42 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Susan, I'm so sorry for your loss!

I've sent you a PM.

PM or email me anytime! (((HUGS)))

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 10:43 AM  
desderata

Quote:
Even as I was writing my first post, by the END of it, I thought "yes, 'getting back on the wagon' is a form of stuffing emotions." (at least FOR ME, and at THIS time.) It just became clear as I wrote about it.
I suggested that in my first post and went back and edited because it seemed harsh. That's what I did - losing my parents at the end of 2019 capped off an entirely awful year that was filled with death and other losses. January 1, I decided to kick myself into gear and started an intense workout schedule, but I still felt mentally out of it and distracted. Two weeks later, I broke my foot in two places while exercising, because my mind was elsewhere. So, yes, it backfired. I think you are wise to recognize this and focus on what will allow you to face your emotions.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 10:48 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I am so, so sorry for your loss, Susan.

My father died 10 years ago of a heart attack, but he was an alcoholic which seriously impacted his health. After his death the grief was mixed up with a lot of what ifs and anger and guilt, and it took a long time to process. Eventually (years later) I went to a therapist and also found a book called The Grief Recovery Handbook that was very helpful.

At this stage, you need to take care of yourself and just do what feels like the right thing for that day. Journaling may help too--just writing down free form in a notebook that you can always burn or throw out later can help just get the knot of feelings out.

((hugs))

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 12:13 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Susan, I am so sorry for your loss. ((HUGS))

It is so recent. Give yourself time to grieve and do whatever you need to, to get through the next several months. You are strong.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grief, healing after loss, loss, suicide