Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-20, 01:21 PM  
manleym

Paul Katami 4x4 Daily Deal at Mary's - worth it?

I've had my eye on Paul Katami's 4x4 10 dvd set and it's on sale today at Mary's. If you have it (or have had it) what are your thoughts? I guess I'm asking if the set is worth buying.

Thanks for your input!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 06:27 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have it and enjoy it, although admittedly I haven't done it for awhile. They are relatively short (roughly 30 minutes each, IIRC), offer modifications, and get the job done efficiently. I like Paul's demeanor, calm and encouraging.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 06:43 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I think it is worth it, I did a two months rotation a while back with them and really enjoyed it, full body workouts are around 45 minutes each, with no stretch , so you have to do it on your own, or do one of the bonus stretches, both recovery workouts are good, I specially like the foam roller. The only ones I haven't try yet are the upper/lower and cardio/core DVDs, I think those are around 30 min. each. I think it is a great set, challenging and fun. I was able to double the amount of push ups I could do from my toes, so I gained strength and endurance with them. I got it at one of Mary's sale. HTH

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 08:57 PM  
kristiep

Yes, Katami 4x4 is a set that I love!

Currently, I have been working out with Michelle Dozois’s Peak Fit and Cathe’s Strong and Sweaty, but Katami 4x4 is one I revisit regularly for a rotation. If I have taken a break from working out, I often use it as my restart rotation. Also, I like to snow ski, and I have used it a number of times to ensure I am in shape for a trip.

The format is predictable - 1 minute each of cardio, lower body, upper body, and core with 30-second rests - but I like that and it’s not boring to me. The routines are easily modifiable, up or down, and the workouts are increasingly challenging. When I do a rotation, I have always seen an improvement in my conditioning. The set also includes shorter routines for when you have less time as well as stretch and foam roller bonus.

Maybe the best part is Paul. He is one of my all-time favorite instructors. Charming, encouraging, never over-the-top, and he’s in great shape. He sweats with you!

If you like a boot camp, circuit-style workout with athletic moves, you will like this.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 07:22 PM  
fanofladyvols

Manley!!
I'm looking at this set too. It's making me grin seeing your thread

Did you read review from 2lazy for the gym?
https://2lazy4gym.com/2017/08/19/katami-4x4/

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 10:32 AM  
laurajhawk

It's still up today (under More Daily Deals further down the DOTD page). I've looked at this so many times - maybe this time I'll get it?

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 11:40 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
It's still up today (under More Daily Deals further down the DOTD page). I've looked at this so many times - maybe this time I'll get it?
I keep looking at it to, though I have no business doing so. For one, 45 min + cool down stuff is just too long for me. Plus, I'm a perpetual beginner...even his modifier looks like more than what I can do.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 11:53 AM  
Garrie A.

Plus the lack of back work is a bit of a deal breaker to me. Like Jen/2lazy4gym, the back is my favorite muscle to work.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 12:56 PM  
bubbles76

Garrie, it's not a total lack of back work. I believe he has push ups I get it though, I love to work my back too. I still bought the set, as I just love Paul's personality, and the set it doable. I usually do halfsies when I do the set, as it is pretty long. It's been awhile since I've done this set. Maybe I'll pull it out near the end of the year when I want to do a metabolic rotation.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 01:46 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
I think it is worth it, I did a two months rotation a while back with them and really enjoyed it...
You're the reason I bought mine! You were checking in on JTW and you made them seem fun, so I had been watching for Mary's sales and ebay. I found it for $24 shipped on ebay, so I couldn't pass it up. I'm ashamed to say that I've only done one workout so far and it was the short one, the 2x4. lol
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 system, halfsies, paul katami