Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-20, 12:00 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Workout sets where you only really like one (or two) of the workouts?

I've owned a few sets where I ended up only liking one or two of the workouts:

21 Day Fix - not a fan of Autumn. I find her personality and voice grating. Yet, her Barre Legs in that set is one of my favorites. I like it enough that I can ignore her and focus on the moves.

Project You - I like Kathy Smith. Her cueing is very good. I rarely do any of the PY workouts except for Full Body Circuit. I really like this one, even though it is a bit longer than I like these days. One can go heavy as there aren't a million reps. Good warm-up, good cool-down and stretch. (Which is probably why it is so long.)

P90X3 - not a Tony fan, but I can tolerate him in some workouts (ETA: With the "Less Tony" option, of course!). I like Isometrix quite a bit, even though I have to modify some of the moves. With the exception of Dynamix, the rest of the set is a bust for me.

Are there any sets where you only like one of the workouts?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 01:02 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Um. This describes every set I have ever tried. I've never found an instructor, set or not, where I liked every workout. Even with instructors I .

Maybe I'm just on the picky side of things... (If so, I don't really care to change. )

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 01:35 PM  
laurajhawk

Micheline Berry's Liquid Asana Live. The practices are nice enough but they're just too long for me ... but I LOVE LOVE "The Power of Staying," which is yin-ish.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 01:46 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Micheline Berry's Liquid Asana Live. The practices are nice enough but they're just too long for me ... but I LOVE LOVE "The Power of Staying," which is yin-ish.
I bought this when it was released and I think that is the only practice I tried! I wish they were shorter. I cannot even remember if they are chaptered. I need to check.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 01:49 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

caribbean aerobics - stretch into yoga - only like one practice but it's great so I keep the dvd.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 03:21 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm really trying to go through all my DVDs, to decide which ones to keep and which ones to get rid of. I recently did an old one: SHAPE Bikini Body Cardio Workout. I HATED every single one of the "five 10-minute fun, easy-to-follow dance-based workouts". Since I needed a cool-down, I let the "Bonus: 18 minute Long and Lean Workout" play. It's a yoga/pilates flow and I LOVED it! So now I'll keep the DVD just for 1 out of the 6 segments - lol!
-Anita
P.S. I'm SURE I have other examples !!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 05:49 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I am good about not buying sets for the most part because there is always going to be a few that I am not over the moon about.

I would say maybe Cathe's Lite series. I really like Body Weight and Bands, I also like the Kickboxing workout and PHA 2 to an extent, there are a couple exercises that I need to modify.

The rest is okay, the Stacked Upper and Lower aren't my favorite because of the repeats but there is a premix that just runs though the exercises once and I cannot get enough short workouts these days so I just usually do that premix. Again there are a couple of exercises in these that I need to modify or substitute something else. I will say that I appreciate the use of lighter weights in these which is why I really should use them more.

The Metabolic workout is okay, have only done it once as I prefer the one from ICE, I should revisit again and just lighter weights because it is very heavy on shoulder work. Cardio Party is okay, again only used it once.

I like the ICE series much better but there are some workouts that don't get used a ton, Metabolic Total Body and the Chiseled Upper/Lower are favorites from that set. Boot Camp is decent but I am not a big fan of the cardio parts, Low Impact Sweat and the kickbox I haven't used much. To the Mat is one I need to use more of.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 07:17 AM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I'm really trying to go through all my DVDs, to decide which ones to keep and which ones to get rid of. I recently did an old one: SHAPE Bikini Body Cardio Workout. I HATED every single one of the "five 10-minute fun, easy-to-follow dance-based workouts". Since I needed a cool-down, I let the "Bonus: 18 minute Long and Lean Workout" play. It's a yoga/pilates flow and I LOVED it! So now I'll keep the DVD just for 1 out of the 6 segments - lol!
-Anita
P.S. I'm SURE I have other examples !!
I also kept this one just for the Bonus Long & Lean Workout.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 11:50 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalina View Post
I also kept this one just for the Bonus Long & Lean Workout.
this motivates me to pull it out - thanks Kathy! i went back to read the VF. i'm a big Lisa Wheeler fan too - she leads this segment.

in answer to the thread question, cathe's low impact series - i purposely acquired individual DVDs ala carte rather than purchase the entire set. i like TriSets and the Barre workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 03:57 PM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
this motivates me to pull it out - thanks Kathy! i went back to read the VF. i'm a big Lisa Wheeler fan too - she leads this segment.

in answer to the thread question, cathe's low impact series - i purposely acquired individual DVDs ala carte rather than purchase the entire set. i like TriSets and the Barre workout.
Anytime, Jeannine! I just did this one today. ENJOY!!
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
systems