Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-20, 05:54 PM  
Leonana

Thanks for the link, Donna. I'm going to check her out!
Old 05-29-20, 09:53 PM  
momofcha

What an interesting thread. I am so sorry for the recent losses, that is so sad to hear.

I have no advice as I’m in the same boat and also hypothyroid with no thyroid. I’ve gained probably 25 pounds and it makes me miserable, frustrated and sad. I’ve tried lessening the intensity and did only essentrics for a month - no weight loss. I read Debra Atkinson and went back to lifting and kettlebells. They make me happy. I can’t gain muscle very well any more but I enjoy it. I go for walks, nothing. I’m confident that it’s all in what you eat. I go through phases where I eat okay, and then I don’t. I’m tired. So tired of things that aren’t working.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 12:01 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Just one note on intensity: I don't think it's that high intensity exercise is BAD for weight loss, it's that, for some, high intensity for LONG DURATION is ineffective. A quick, high intensity workout (may 20min. max) has a negative effect on cortisol. At least I think that's what I've read!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 07:18 PM  
fitloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Just one note on intensity: I don't think it's that high intensity exercise is BAD for weight loss, it's that, for some, high intensity for LONG DURATION is ineffective. A quick, high intensity workout (may 20min. max) has a negative effect on cortisol. At least I think that's what I've read!
I agree. I think it's all about variety. Not beating yourself up or overtraining, but varying the intensity, length, and type of workout can be good.
fitloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 07:50 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

I think it is definitely not a one size fits all approach. the hard part may be overcoming our thoughts about what we "should" be doing vs. what we need to be doing - and trying to do more of what our bodies need and less of what our mind tells us we "should" do. That is a hard thing to do - especially when we CAN do all the hard stuff - I know I mention Pahla B a lot but she says in many of her videos that at this age we CAN do it - the trouble is we need more recovery time and if we don't take it we crash and burn a lot sooner than we did in our younger days and for some people that results in weight gain/inflammation.

Donna
This may be a silly question but is there a way to know if we have inflammation because we're exercising too much or too hard? I suppose it's not the same type of inflammation we get with an injury, so do we feel it in our body?
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 08:10 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I agree, too.

I think that most of the evidence for high intensity being counterproductive is related to long-distance, long-duration endurance exercise. Like people who regularly train for and run marathons or do triathlons.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 10:39 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
This may be a silly question but is there a way to know if we have inflammation because we're exercising too much or too hard? I suppose it's not the same type of inflammation we get with an injury, so do we feel it in our body?
Nathalie
Theoretically the Heart Math products/training can help with this, but I've not tried it. Just heard a little about it.

https://store.heartmath.com/technolo...281.1590939493
Old 05-31-20, 11:05 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Nathalie
I think inflammation makes sense if workouts are too strenuous. I don't know for sure, but it seems logical to me. Rest is really, really important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think that most of the evidence for high intensity being counterproductive is related to long-distance, long-duration endurance exercise. Like people who regularly train for and run marathons or do triathlons.
Exactly. I know a lot of people love endurance sports, but I wonder if it's really good for you. I suppose it depends on the individual.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 12:30 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Nathalie
I go by how I am feeling. I have gained a lot of strength in the past couple of years, but I also need more rest between my more challenging workouts than I did ten or fifteen years ago. So it might take me an extra week or two to get through a challenging (for me) rotation that is written for six or eight weeks.

I guess the caveat would be that if someone has a solid fitness plan which includes eating right, but isn’t getting the results she wants and feels run-down a lot of the time, she could look at whether she is pushing too hard, for her. Maybe it doesn’t mean completely giving up long distance running or strength training and switching to walking, but doing a little less of the one and a little more of the other to find the right amount for her. Personally, I think that some strength training is really important as I get older, regardless of its effect on my weight or appearance.

Also, sleep is so important! And can be harder to achieve at this time of life.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 10:14 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm convinced that my body is the complete opposite of what works for everyone.

As I wrote higher up in this thread, I'm 46, and have gained 27 pounds in two short years. No end in sight. My waist is now bigger than my hips, so none of my clothes fit. Two summers ago I wore a size 8 shorts and was incredibly great shape. Now I'm a size 16, size 38DD bra, so much swelling that I have switched to elastic waist everything. Just so depressed from this.

So for the past 10 days, I decided to try lower carb, lower intensity mostly walking workouts, some Ellen, a few CS. No weight workouts. Lots of rest and plenty of protein. I had a plant-based protein shake for breakfast, a small sandwich and salad for lunch, and a dinner with lots of veggies. (I had been ramping up my workout intensity and weights to try to lose some of this weight.)

After 10 days, I've GAINED ANOTHER 6 pounds. My breasts are even more swollen and my elastic waist shorts are even tighter. Granted, my period is due this week (maybe, but you never quite know!), so there's that, but come on!

I'm just befuddled. I just can't stop this freight train. I just wish I knew how long this period of perimenopause will continue, I just feel like if I knew how much longer or how much more damn weight I am going to gain, then I could deal with better. So depressed. I've literally tried everything and each time ends up with just worse peri symptoms and more weight gain.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, intermittent fasting, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, over 50