Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-18, 12:50 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thank you Karen - that's the deal breaker for me. Kelly's music seems to be getting worse, for my tastes anyway.

I agree. I really dislike the techno noise she has used in the last few releases. I liked when she used instrumental versions of classic rock, but I am a music geek.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 02:36 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I agree. I really dislike the techno noise she has used in the last few releases. I liked when she used instrumental versions of classic rock, but I am a music geek.
Does Kelly have a music "off" option? She usually does. Do you stream music and make playlists? That helps make the workouts more fun.

I am glad I didn't get these. I knew the stepboxing was out, though I thought I might want the sculpt one, but for some reason it's just not grabbing me.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 04:16 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Kelly does indeed have a music-off option. I used it this morning when I did WO 2 although I think the music isn't as bad on that one. I could barely hear the music in the background and that was perfect. I love Kelly and really liked both workouts, but really hated the music in WO 1. I'm looking forward to doing the interval premix of both workouts but will do it without music.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 05:43 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I did the "both workouts" premix of Sculpting Rx. I liked it--good, solid workout IMHO.

Random thoughts: I wish Kelly had said what weights everyone was using as a guide for what I should have handy. I like to know not because it's a competition, but "medium" and "heavy" can mean drastically different things for sure!

There's a glitch in the second workout (at least on the premix) when the crew goes to the floor for some mat work and there was absolutely no time for me to grab mine before they got started.

The "heavy" workout consists of two sets of two different moves, usually but not always using the same weight for each of the two moves. It moves quickly, but that's okay by me.

Workout 2 used "light" weights (she did tell you after you started the first move that you should choose 5 or 7 pound weights. As an aside, am I the only one who doesn't have 7 pound weights? I have 5s and 8s and a weird set of 6.6 pounders that are ancient and huge. I used 8 for the first movement and promptly changed to the 5s. Kelly does not repeat the moves in the this one. You do the same movement for approximately 45 seconds and then on to the next one. As I mentioned above, the only "issue" for me was lack of time to grab my mat. I'm currently working out on a tile floor, so I want something on it to lie down on. I finished a couple of hours ago, and I can feel that my abs were definitely worked.

This is different from anything I have of Kelly's, and I can see using it frequently. There wasn't a boredom factor in either workout. I want to try the interval premix next.

I have to comment about the music. I wouldn't describe it as terrible. It's background, and she does move to the beat of the music (unlike in some of her other workouts, and unlike a number of other instructors). I actually have had my fill of classic rock/faux lyric/80s music and for weight work in particular I don't really care about it, as long as it isn't annoying, distracting. or the instructor is off the beat. This is not the case in these workouts IMHO. If there's a finite budget for a workout project, I'd rather they allocate it to actually making a DVD (as opposed to just streaming) than on music that could make that impossible. To each his own, however! I know it's important to others, and it matters a little more to me in a cardio based workout.

I've also done the combined workout of Stepboxing 2, but I think I may do it again before posting my thoughts.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 12:05 PM  
margaux

I have done both workouts on Stepboxing 2. Kelly does not disappoint I tend to ignore the background music and care more about the intensity. I did both workouts together and got a good sweat in @ 48 min. I also think the premix of cardio drills and dumbbell moves (with a medium to heavy weight) is alone worth the purchase. I have also done both workouts of Sculpting Rx but want to do them again before commenting.
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-18, 07:45 AM  
owltx

Yesterday I did Stepboxing 2 Workout 1. I found it enjoyable, time passed swiftly, and I was definitely breathing hard and sweating. One note - I had to do this all low impact, as I am working through (yet another) plantar fasciitis flare up. So the BOSU was my step. There were actually only three moves for which I had to do complete substitutions; the rest I was easily able to keep low impact through the BOSU and mods - something for me to note for myself in the future. There were three combos, with three "drills" in between each combo.

One thing to note - there is no music off on Stepboxing 2. I am not sure why - I find it much easier to put up with uninspiring music on weight workouts as opposed to cardio. And not that I found the music all that bad, but I thought this would be a great workout to some rocking hair band music. But it appears the music off option is only on Sculpting Rx. (unless I am missing something and please tell me if so).
Old 10-01-18, 12:15 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Sculpting Rx workout one

I finally had a chance to try the heavier lifting workout. Yeah, now I see what you all are saying about the music in this one---not so great and I do agree. It's a shame.

I like Kelly, have all of her workout, love the thirty minute format, great premixes and find working out with her is fun. But the music let me down when it could have really added more energy and motivation.

Of the two workouts that I've done, I think I prefer the lighter weight sculpting one and would probably do that one more often. Though, in this one I liked the seated rows, for a nice change.

I also liked the toe touch squat mobility exercises and think it's a nice addition during the warm-up in each workout.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 12:17 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I did the heavier weights one in Sculpting Rx -- better music than Stepboxing 2 but still quite boring. I like the different moves in this one, but not much lower body work. I have a wonky shoulder and I'm feeling it after this one. I'd probably reach for this one over Stepboxing 2 though.

I wish she had the weight of the dumbbells instead of just heavy, medium, or light. I also wish we knew how many reps or sets we were doing, but I think it was 10 per and two sets? Some of them seemed different. I totally dreamweavered because the music was putting me to sleep...

Gosh I wish these were more inspiring like her old stuff!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 03:18 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I also wish we knew how many reps or sets we were doing, but I think it was 10 per and two sets? Some of them seemed different. I totally dreamweavered because the music was putting me to sleep...
I think this is correct, but I did the workout at 5am, so I could have errors -
Sculpting Rx, Workout 1:
3 circuits of biceps & legs; each circuit is done twice:
A. hammer curl, alternating arms for a total of 10 reps (5 each arm)
B. squat & step out; 10 reps
A. bicep curl, 10 reps
B.box lunge / step up / knee lift, alternating legs for a total of 10 reps (5 each leg)
A. supination curl, alternating arms, 10 total reps
B. squat/deadlift combo, 10 reps

3 circuits of back & shoulders; each circuit is done twice:
A. 1-arm row, 10 reps ea arm
B. front raise, 10 reps
A.bent-over row, 10 reps
B. side lateral raise, 10 reps
A. seated pull, 10 reps
B. 1-1/2 press (overhead), 10 reps

3 circuits of chest & triceps; each circuit is done twice:
A. flye,10 reps
B. skull-crusher, 10 reps
A. bench press, 10 reps
B. kickbacks, alternating - 10 reps on ea side (total of 20 reps)
A. push-ups (not sure, I didn't do this circuit, likely 10 reps)
B. dips (same as above)

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 03:51 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks for the breakdown! I was doing it at 5 am too! Just need more energizing music at that time of the morning for me to stay focused...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcm, kcm sale, kelly coffey-meyer, music off option, sculpting rx, step boxing 2