Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-18, 11:18 PM  
BunnyHop

Before this thread, I really hadn't made the connection between some of the discomforts I used to have and the workouts I did at the time.

Lately I haven't done any KCM or JS workouts.

For a long time earlier this year I was just walking, and realized my back pains had gone completely away.

For about the last 6 weeks, in the heat of summer when I'm reluctant to walk outside and have needed something to do, I've been able to do Jari Love's original Get Ripped dvd about every other day. Haven't felt stronger in years. (I modify the weights down or up depending on how I feel that day. She says you can do the workout with body weight, but I prefer the feel of it all with at least 5 pound dumbbells, or plates on my barbell, except for the shoulder work, where I use 3.

Suddenly I notice my lousy posture when sitting at the computer. Gotta work on that.
Old 08-24-18, 01:43 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Jennifer, thanks again for sharing this here! I've done it a few times since reading your post and I do believe it is helping me when I thought pretty much nothing could!
I'm happy about that, Bee. It doesn't work for everyone but I've recommended it to a number of folks who have found it very helpful when done regularly. It's only 3 minutes but apparently a lot of people don't even "have time" for that.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 07:41 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I found a nifty little routine that is magic for me, from the book "3 minutes to back pain relief" or something like that. Every day, in this order, for at least 30 seconds each:

Child's pose with arms extended in front of your head
Cobra, concentrating on NOT clenching glutes
Cat/cow, alternating EXHALE when contracting, INHALE when extending
Malasana (deep squat, doesn't matter what your foot position is, can elevate heels if needed)
Upavistha konasana (wide-legged pose, can bend forward or side to side, whatever feels best)
Baddha konasana (cobbler's pose) with spine straight or bent forward, whatever feels best.

Not in the prescribed routine but I usually do 30 seconds at least of downward dog after this because it feels good.

It sounds so simple but really made a difference for me. Haven't been to the chiropractor in years!
Hi Jennifer,
I am not completely familiar with a few of these and want to make sure I get them right:

Malasana (deep squat, doesn't matter what your foot position is, can elevate heels if needed) Is this just a regular standing squat like sumo?

Upavistha konasana (wide-legged pose, can bend forward or side to side, whatever feels best) Is this seated?

Baddha konasana (cobbler's pose) with spine straight or bent forward, whatever feels best. Is this sitting with soles of the feet together?

Thank you.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 01:45 PM  
Sara1000

I found these poses on youtube - the only one I had trouble with is Malasana - I used the high step for support to get into the pose (more or less) - it was somewhat painful - should I pursue this one? Any suggestions on how to build up to doing this correctly?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 01:57 PM  
mandie123

Femfusion on youtube has a video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dGmZWqlvo0
Old 08-24-18, 04:11 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

That's a good video Mandie linked to. And yes, the last two poses are seated wide leg stretch and seated "butterfly" stretch with the soles of the feet together.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 04:12 PM  
Sara1000

Thanks. I followed what she did in the video and did not have trouble getting into the deep squat - I can't go all that deep but maybe that will improve with time.

I think what I was doing wrong was trying to get into the pose from sitting on the ground. She shows it starting from standing. So stand up after the cat/cow pose !
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-18, 08:28 AM  
Beth D.

Smile

Hi. I saw your thread and since I also deal with weak SI joints, thought I would let you know what hurts and helps me.

What hurts: walking up hills, impact exercises, long bike rides and heavy lower body weights all irritate the muscles around and the SI joints. I have been in PT off and on for almost 3 years (after trying to find a diagnosis for 6 months). I still do my stretching daily to keep the joints unlocked.

What I have learned that helps: no impact workouts, lighter lower body weight, Cathe's low impact series, using the pool, the hot tub, and focusing on what I can do instead of what I can't!

Good luck.

Beth
Beth D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-18, 02:14 PM  
Diana3271

I also did a new post about cardio suggestions. But I will ask here, too. Beside regular walking, what type of cardio DVD's can you do? TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-18, 02:41 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I'm happy about that, Bee. It doesn't work for everyone but I've recommended it to a number of folks who have found it very helpful when done regularly. It's only 3 minutes but apparently a lot of people don't even "have time" for that.
Crazy, right? Yes, it can be done in three minutes, and potentially makes such a difference. I am doing it at least twice a day and holding the stretches longer so it's five minutes each time. Gosh, how do I fit it in?! If it helps me from feeling pain all day long, I will gladly take that time!
bee is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulging disc, kcm, kelly coffey-meyer, sacroiliac joint, si joint, si pain