Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-14, 05:59 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Joseph Pilates referred to his system as The Method, among other things. When she "inherited" Pilates mainly in the form of the original studio and business on his wife's death, Romana K was the one who brought suits trying to prevent anyone else from using the term without permission or teaching anything that was not Pilates as Joe did it with her. But, if you know much about studio Pilates you will know that it is to be adapted to the individual so the other first generation instructors all had slightly different experiences of Pilates as taught by Joe. That's part of what sunk Romana's suit. The other was that she couldn't get Joe's wife to bring suits and by the time Romana had control it had been loose in the world for too long to legally reel it back in. Plus, there were about 15 first generation teachers and more second generation ones out there producing things like Stott and Fletcher and Balanced Body which would just have gone by different names. I do like instructors and studios that came out of what Romana called Authentic Pilates as they have a rigorous training system but the ones I've worked with all tweak it a bit based on their knowledge and more modern understanding of how things in the body work best. But the core principals and moves are still there.

Jennifer Kris did have a couple of DVDs out before the TV show and DVDs that were launched together. Those original ones were not called The Method and weren't really available anywhere until after the show started and people knew who Jennifer was. The production on them was marginal, the workouts were really long and the whole feel was much more subdued, which seems to be Jennifer's style when left to her own production. I bought the original The Method DVDs on their release at the time I was watching the show on the brand new Fit TV, then her earlier DVDs when they became more available. I think it was Giam or someone Giam bought who produced the shows and DVDs. Some of the DVDs were not actual show episodes but were done on the same set at first and then on a different one. The DVDs continued after the show was no longer produced but on the second set. When Jennifer had a falling out with them the producers claimed the right to the name The Method and sued her for putting out a couple of short-lived videos on her own using the name. So she went to The New Method. All of this was going on during the several years when Romana was suing everyone over the use of the name Pilates so no one used it.

The original show had a few episodes produced as videos that weren't Pilates like the African dance workout, which is horribly taught by the way, and Tracey Mallet's kickboxing episode plus things like Jennifer and Lisa's dance workout, which kind of counts since the Pilates world is so full of dancers, but most of the not-really-Pilates stuff started after Jennifer left. Jennifer did do Pilates work other than just the basic mat routine and brought in other Pilates instructors to do some other aspects of Pilates. There's actually a lot of different stuff that Joseph Pilates did both with and without equipment. Some of the other instructors stuck around for a short while after Jennifer left before moving on to other things and Giam brought in a continually changing cast of instructors. I think they've kept most or all of The Method DVDs in production since they first started coming out in 2000.

I'd bet the newest re-release is still Giam. This would be the 3rd or 4th covers for some of these, maybe more. The show and non-show ones had different styles of covers when first released. Then after Jennifer left they all came out with similar covers. There's been at least one more iteration for some of them when they were released on DVD and a series of compilations such as both dance workouts on one DVD was done plus "re-release" of most though they hadn't really gone out of production. Maybe one more set of "updated" covers.

I have no idea if Jennifer still gets anything from the sale of these. When she left The Method she did have funds to immediately produce her own videos and then a second set when she had to stop selling those. She still comes out with her own video occasionally and she's done a inch of stuff for the Pilates Anytime on-line videos. I think she still teaches.

I don't think Tracey Anderson has any Pilates training or anything to do with Jennifer's various productions. A lot of the concepts she uses are also in Pilates as well as the Lotte Berk Method and Callanetics which both incorporated some things from Pilates. What we now call bare came out of the Lotte Berk Method as taught by Lydia Bach at her New York studio for decades before it took off as part of the Pilates and fusion boom and most of her instructors left to form their own studios. I'm not sure where TA pulled her ideas from since she seems to have done it in her own sphere and as far as I can tell doesn't claim to have any training in anyone else's method. I think she picked up her use of Method from it's history in both Pilates and barre.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copyright, jennifer kries, new method 20/20, repackaged workouts, the method