Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-13, 07:56 PM  
horusosiris

Mixxtreme

I did the Mixxtreme Ballet Box workout today. From the clips, I thought that the white background would bother me but it did not. I also thought that her “cheerleader” demeanor would bother me but it did not. I really wished that:

Workout Length- 63 minutes
Equipment- sliding discs, light dumbbells, pilates ball

1. She had mirror queued. Since Shandi created this workout for home exercisers, I would think that mirror queuing would be a no brainer?

2. The music was better. The music was just about inaudible except near the end where it was loud enough to almost drown her voice out.

3. Shandi did more of the workout and less encouraging and counting. I usually like workouts where the instructor does most, if not the entire workout.

4. Although the white background did not really bother me, I wish that Shandi had used a real studio or another backdrop.

The workout alternated between cardio and toning (barre/arm work). Most of the cardio moves also had a toning component. I liked that she did not do any particular move too long. The workout moved right along and was not frantic. The pacing was good.

Unfortunately, there were burpees and mountain climbers (using gliding discs)! As others have noted, I am sick of them popping up in almost every workout. Maybe the burpees would not have annoyed me as much if I had not been doing so many Zuzka workouts (which I love) lately. Zuzka loves burpees! I subbed swings for some of the Ballet Box burpees.

It had good inner thigh and hamstring work.

There was a modifier and she did a good job providing modifications, although modifications are not shown for all of the jumping moves. I did some of the jumping moves on my JumpSport.

The workout was 63 minutes. Ballet Box is not chaptered. I think that it could have used a premix or an easily identified stop point that would comprise a 30 minute workout (much like the New Dream Body Cardio series. I like that aspect to the DB workouts)

All in all, I liked the workout and I tried not to compare it to the Dream Body workouts but so far I think that the Dream Body Cardio workouts are tougher.

I need to do the other two workouts. I will do ‘Mixx’ or ‘Tabata Sculpt’ tomorrow.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 08:04 PM  
momofcha

Great review R!!!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 08:12 PM  
violingal3

Thank you for posting your impressions of Shandi's workout, please keep the reviews of the others coming!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 08:19 AM  
horusosiris

Tabata Sculpt

Three Tabata rounds (20 seconds of work/ 10 seconds rest) Each round is followed by a sculpt round

Workout Length – 45 minutes
Equipment- light dumbbells (I used 2 lbs.)

Round One Tabata (3 sets of each exercise)
1. Mountain Climbers
2. Jump High Knees
3. Plank Squat Jumps

Sculpt – Plank /Leg series

Round 2 Tabata (3 sets of each)
1. Squat Jump Burpees

2. Frog Ho Jumps
3. Lunge Jump Kick
4. Side Step Jump

Sculpt – right and left sides
1. Pushups to side planks
2. Leg extensions with arms flies
3. Sitting leg extension with alternate arms

Round Three Tabata (3 sets)

1. Double knee taps
2. Quick feet with triceps extensions
3. Squat jumps touch floor
4. Bent arm plank to straight-arm plank/ pushup

AB Series
1. Kneeling side leg lift with arm extension
2. Hip lifts and circles
3. Moving triceps pushups
4. Crunch Knee in leg extensions
5. Crunch leg extensions
6. Straight leg bicycles

Stretch

My Thoughts:
1. Again -no mirror queuing
2. Some of the exercises are repeated from Ballet Box. I though she should have used new exercises
3. Shandi should have done more of the workout. I did not notice her counting and encouraging as much in this workout. Maybe it was because I knew what to expect from her.
4. Music just about inaudible until the stretch section
5. A lot of jumping and although there is a modifier, modifications are not always shown.

I do not think that I would reach for this workout much. For me. there is nothing new or creative about it. I have Tabata workouts and barre/ sculpting workouts that I find more enjoyable. The workout was very doable. I would not call it easy but neither would I say that it was challenging. I could complete the workouts without stopping or resting any.

Now for the comparisons to Dream Body (if that is fair)
I enjoy the Dream Body workouts more because they challenge me more and provide a goal for me to work towards.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 08:36 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Thanks for the reviews! It's helpful to hear your thoughts. It seems a number of instructors don't mirror cue, which is a bummer b/c I find it very helpful.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 09:27 AM  
gerrie

These workouts really do remind me of Dream Body workouts. The two I have done (Ballet Box and Mixx) just had so many similar moves to DB, that it is hard NOT to compare them to DB. DB is definitely more advanced than Mixxtreme. But I don't regret buying the Studio Mixx workouts, not everyday is a DB day for me.
gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mixxtreme, shandi