Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-13, 04:41 PM  
kariev34

I consider them high intermediate/low advanced. The harder you push/faster you go, the more intense. Definitely a notch down from DB. There is a modifier too showing low impact/easier options
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-13, 06:37 PM  
twinkletoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Thanks for the review. I was thinking of getting these but had a feeling they would have a lot of mountain climbers because she relies on them to get the heart rate up. That mixed with burpees, and I'm definitely going to pass on these.
I wouldn't say there's "a lot" of burpees or mountain climbers (because the cardio bursts are short).

She shows lots of modifications through the entire thing (I did Mixx, too).

I didn't like that there's no menu though. The workout just starts playing right after the intro.

It definitely has a Dream Body feel to it but it's not as fast (still fast though, where she doesn't stop or rest in between moves).
Old 08-18-13, 07:07 AM  
gerrie

I did Ballet Box last night.

This is just about an hour-- a tad longer than the Mixx dvd. You will use: gliders, playground ball, 2-3 pound dumbbells, and a chair (barre).

The workout alternates between cardio intervals and barre intervals. The cardio intervals use plyometric moves, the gliders (mountain climbers), and some boxing/kicking to get the heart rate up. The barre sections are toning focused with a lot of work at the barre using the playground held behind a bent knee.There was a barre section that reminded me of Cardio Barre -- a dumbell in one hand , both limbs moving quickly away and then towards the body (I think this move is shown in the sample clip). There is also plank work with glute work done with the ball behind the knee (similar to a move in one of the new Dream Bodies). There is also arm work done while in "chair" position with the ball squeezed between the knees (this also looks similar to some Dream Body moves).

This is a good, solid workout. Shandi's instruction has improved since her download workout. This workout certainly seems to fit in with the Dream Body type of workouts, but it is not as advanced or as fast. Shandi briefly demonstrates some of the upcoming moves , this slows the workout down a bit and gives you a chance to catch your breath. I think that is the main difference between Ballet Box and Dream Body workouts-- those brief explanations add up to a less hurried workout. If you like DB, then you will probably like Ballet Box. If you like the idea of DB, but think DB is too rushed, then you might want to try Ballet Box.
gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 07:50 AM  
azuniga

Thank you girls for the reviews!!!
Old 08-18-13, 08:48 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes, thanks for reviews! I'm curious to see clips.

Do they wear shoes in these, or is it all barefoot?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 09:13 AM  
gerrie

Ballet Box and Mixx are done barefoot. Shoes are worn during Tabata Sculpt.
gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 10:49 AM  
edensmom

Ah Gerrie you pushed me to hit order! I have to admit I was waiting for your review since you gave such thorough, good reviews for the Dream Body Cardio series!

A break to set up sounds good to me. Also an instructor that doesn't TALKSOFAST!!!

Keep the reviews coming ladies. Thank you!
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 11:13 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrie View Post
I did Ballet Box last night.

This is just about an hour-- a tad longer than the Mixx dvd. You will use: gliders, playground ball, 2-3 pound dumbbells, and a chair (barre).

The workout alternates between cardio intervals and barre intervals. The cardio intervals use plyometric moves, the gliders (mountain climbers), and some boxing/kicking to get the heart rate up. The barre sections are toning focused with a lot of work at the barre using the playground held behind a bent knee.There was a barre section that reminded me of Cardio Barre -- a dumbell in one hand , both limbs moving quickly away and then towards the body (I think this move is shown in the sample clip). There is also plank work with glute work done with the ball behind the knee (similar to a move in one of the new Dream Bodies). There is also arm work done while in "chair" position with the ball squeezed between the knees (this also looks similar to some Dream Body moves).

This is a good, solid workout. Shandi's instruction has improved since her download workout. This workout certainly seems to fit in with the Dream Body type of workouts, but it is not as advanced or as fast. Shandi briefly demonstrates some of the upcoming moves , this slows the workout down a bit and gives you a chance to catch your breath. I think that is the main difference between Ballet Box and Dream Body workouts-- those brief explanations add up to a less hurried workout. If you like DB, then you will probably like Ballet Box. If you like the idea of DB, but think DB is too rushed, then you might want to try Ballet Box.
Great review. I just finished this one myself. I liked it, just didn't love it. It certainly worked me over,but I just prefer dream body. The pace was manageable, the music almost unnoticeable, a big white screen. Surely they could have made it more inviting? Burpees, mountain climbers ick. I'm pleasantly sore though, so we'll see how I feel later.

I didn't like the plyometric session - had an insanity feel to it, and she gave no modifications for this segment. It was brief though and I just did the moves, but with no impact.

I think those that like the idea of dream body, but feel it's too rushed will like this one. Jury is still out for me, I still prefer dream body, more variety of moves & the set is certainly much more inviting. Maybe it will grow on me with repeated use.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 11:19 AM  
edensmom

So the set is a plain white backdrop?
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 11:45 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
So the set is a plain white backdrop?
Yep. What you see in her clips is what you get.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote