Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-13, 09:10 AM  
Inchworm

Is the new Dream Body Fusion set better than the old?

I had wanted the other set so much, but never got it. Now that the new set is out, I'm wondering if I should get that one instead. Does it actually have more cardio than the other set? I usually like to make sure I'm getting enough strength in too.

Do you feel its worth the price? I usually only have about 30-45 min to work out, otherwise I am exhausted. I've been doing JNL Fusion, which I love, but I'm getting burnt out. There is a lot of high impact moves in it, but when I was doing that at least 4 days a week, I got really toned. Do you think the DB Cardio set will be good for toning up? I love barre/pilates/yoga and strength.

Thanks

Kelly

Also, would it be better to order from fusion fitness if I'm looking for the new set?
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-13, 06:31 PM  
gerrie

Kelly,

I have had the first Dream Body series since Christmas and I have had the cardio series less than a week so it really is too early to answer your question. But I'll answer it anyways. Just remember I have done the new workouts only once each.

All the workouts in both series seem very much blended workouts in that so many of the individual exercises are both toning and cardio. For example the newer Bikini Bootcamp includes in its cardio section a move where you are doing curtsey lunges while using a band for upper body work--clearly this is cardio AND toning. A move from the Bata Barre dvd, from the Tabata section has you doing some advanced triceps moves with stomping feet-- again cardio AND toning. I felt I got a good cardio workout from all the earlier Dream Body workouts and I feel I will get good toning from the new cardio workouts. I think the new series has more cardio but not a lot more.

The new workouts are worth the price to ME, but keep in mind I love their earlier workouts and have used them a lot. What makes a workout expensive or not to me is how much I use the workout. I have bought innumerable workouts through the years for a low price that turned out to be just money wasted. Even after the price of the original series was lowered I did not feel cheated because I had already gotten so much use out of those dvds.

As for impact, there is a lot of impact but modifications are shown.

I am not at all disappointed with the new series. At this point I don't think either series is better than the other. If I could only have one of the series I would choose the first series, because I feel my body needs less cardio and more toning. But I'm glad I don't have to choose between the two series.

Perhaps you could try one of their online workouts (first series only, at this point). May be that would help you decide.
gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 09:00 PM  
Inchworm

Hi,

Geez, I'm more confused than ever now. Both sound great, but is the music better in the new set? Also, as far as results, which one do you think is more effective? Is the new set easier to break up into shorter workouts?

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-13, 08:40 AM  
gerrie

Kelly,

The music is not a selling point for these workouts. The music is similar in both series (in some cases I think it is the same music). The cardio series has a music off option not available on the first series.

The second series will be easier to make into shorter workouts because of chaptering. But if you are willing to fast forward, the first series of workouts has a natural "breaking" point (excepting for Tabata and Toning) to use for making a shorter workout.

The first series was very effective for me and I also expect good results from the second series. These workouts have a nice variety of moves so that no two workouts are too similar to each other.

The stretching is somewhat better on the second series.

I don't expect the newer series of DB workouts to change anybody's mind about DB. If you liked/loved the first series, you will probably like/love the cardio series. If you disliked the go-go-go pace of the earlier workouts and the out-of-breath talkative instructors , then you will probably dislike the cardio series also.
Old 07-31-13, 09:01 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrie View Post
I don't expect the newer series of DB workouts to change anybody's mind about DB. If you liked/loved the first series, you will probably like/love the cardio series. If you disliked the go-go-go pace of the earlier workouts and the out-of-breath talkative instructors , then you will probably dislike the cardio series also.
gerrie - thanks for your great feedback on the new series so far! Although I love the last set, it is plenty fast paced for me and certainly took a few times to really know the moves and have fun with the workouts. My only hesitation this time around is picking up the pace even more so and throwing in more compound moves.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-13, 09:30 AM  
marmact

Does Darby talk as much or as fast as in the original set? (I know I can mute her and do, but her fast talking does lend itself to a frantic feel at times.)

Does the modifer actually modify? (I mean, start on the modification and keep with the modification and not have to be reminded by the instructor to do the modification.)

I like the first set, but these two issues were big for me.
Old 07-31-13, 09:54 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrie View Post
Kelly,

The music is not a selling point for these workouts. The music is similar in both series (in some cases I think it is the same music). The cardio series has a music off option not available on the first series.

The second series will be easier to make into shorter workouts because of chaptering. But if you are willing to fast forward, the first series of workouts has a natural "breaking" point (excepting for Tabata and Toning) to use for making a shorter workout.

The first series was very effective for me and I also expect good results from the second series. These workouts have a nice variety of moves so that no two workouts are too similar to each other.

The stretching is somewhat better on the second series.

Great reviews! I'm so excited to receive mine, but yeah, I'm not expecting them to be much different - which is why I them. I like the idea of having 10 "classes" to choose from to keep the variety going. I get bored easily, but I am almost 8 months in to the original set, and I am still doing them on a consistent basis.

I have more than gotten my money's worth on this first set!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-13, 10:56 AM  
gerrie

violingal3,

I'm not sure the cardio series is any faster than the first series, but I don't think it is slower. It is hard for me to compare the pace at this moment because I have done the older workouts enough to have learned their routines and that influences my perception of their pace.

marie,

Darby is a little less talkative on MILF than in her two previous workouts. The other instructors seemed much the same to me.

As for the modifier, I did not pay particular attention to this but my general impression is that the modifiers on the cardio series were more consistent in their modifying. I will try to take special note of this as I work through the series again.
Old 07-31-13, 11:00 AM  
gerrie

Sue,

And with the original DB workout and Bump-- we will actually have 12 DB workouts to cycle through. I just love the original series and this follow up series has not disappointed me. I hope you get your cardio series soon. I'll be very interested in your opinion of them.