Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-14, 06:07 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
In my mind I am. My body disagrees
Ditto
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 07:01 PM  
adrien_73

I was. Over 2 decades later, my joints are blown to hell. I have to modify everything I do now. I have other overuse injuries, but my sports med doc says I have worn away an excessive amount of cartilage in my knees and there is little that can be done to remedy it. I am 41 now, so I imagine it will continue to get worse.

I guess some of my workouts are considered intense by most people's standards, but I can only do a fraction of what I used to.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 07:06 PM  
momof10

I am an intensity junkie, always have been and hopefully always will be. I might have to slow down some, but at 58, I am still going strong. It doesn't have to be an all out high impact, either. I think the newer Toniques are quite intense without all the high impact, except there are a few segments that have higher impact.

Cheryl
Old 04-09-14, 07:18 PM  
aquakat

Nope, I'm definitely not. I'm 48 now, and I've been a solid intermediate-level exerciser for at least 30 years. I was Jazzercising back in my 20's. Not it's mostly a mixture of the Firm, Zumba, and Jessica Smith. I like the way I look and feel. Hope to stay active for many more decades!
aquakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 07:43 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
I admit, I am hopelessly addicted to intense workouts. Nothing makes me feels as good as the TapoutXT2s -- those are my most intense workouts I think. I wish they'd make #3.
Hmmm. Never considered these until I saw your post. I love workouts like Insanity and Asylum . . . but I do not like Kickbox workouts. I hate punching into the air. I don't mind kicking, but I'm not a fan of punching. Based on the clips this seems more like Insanity than Kickbox. Do you agree ???

I've always loved the high I get from intense workouts. But in this past year, I've had some set backs and workouts I used to consider "not hard enough" are giving me plenty of challenge. I'm also doing shorter workouts. I'm trying to build myself back up but it's just not happening. I'm trying not to get frustrated. The good part is that I have lots of old workouts that I didn't use because they were too "easy" and now I am enjoying them. It's nice to have so many workouts to rotate through.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 06:25 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Yes, some punching. I do wear wrist weights and use my heavy bag, so it is a lot more fun that way. Its more insanity than kick boxing. Awesome program. If you love Insanity you'd love this.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 07:31 AM  
ellaenchanted

Not anymore. I do like to do occasional (1x per week max) all-out intensity workouts. But, after going back to moderate intensity for 30-60 minutes per day, I realize that high intensity and heavy lifting was doing me no favors. I was bloated and bulky and hungry.

I reduced intensity simply because work became very stressful and busy and I just did not have time or mental/physical energy for intense workouts. I had resigned myself to the possibility of losing strength and endurance for the sake of sanity. Well, I lost neither. What I did lose was weight (7lbs), bloat, and the bulky arms and calves I had. At first I thought it may have been in my head but I received so many comments/compliments from coworkers, friends, and family about how healthy and good I looked.

But, more importantly, I am enjoying exercise so much more again! I don't have dread because I do what I have the energy for that day rather than forcing myself to "bring it" every day. And all those stupid fitspiration quotes and memes can go suck an egg.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intensity junkies