Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-20, 07:59 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I developed fast-growing cataracts about eight years ago. Both eyes were affected and because I'm on Remicade infusions, I could only have them done in a short window in that 6-week cycle. So, I had both eyes done in the same week two days apart.

Even with having both eyes done in the same week, my doctor told me that I could go back to work around the surgeries. I talked him into giving me a note to take the time off since the company I was with gave no sick time, only if you had surgery.

Anyway, the first surgery was a breeze. The second was just a little harder. I was awake during them with that sedative and remember some lights and talking above me. It was all vague, no definitive memories.

I couldn't exercise for a few days and there was some kind of weight restriction in what I could carry for awhile.

The best thing was that one side effect of the drugs given around the surgery was that might sight after the surgery was fantastic. I could see so far and only needed glasses to drive. (This was after not being able to see much beyond my nose since the age of eight.)

Even after the surgeries, I can see better than I ever could before since I got glasses at the age of eight. I don't need my glasses for computer work or reading. It was the best physical problem I ever had.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 01:09 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I was just at the ophthalmologist with my husband discussing his upcoming cataract surgery. He is not having the laser surgery, but the manual surgery with standard lens implant in both eyes, a week apart.

His only restrictions are not lifting more than 10 pounds for a week post-op, not leaning below the waist, and not driving as he needs glasses to drive and won't be able to use his glasses until he gets both eyes done and gets a new prescription.

Call me Ms. Uber.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 07:35 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I removed the lens from my frames for my first eye after surgery. That way, my surgery eye could see on its own while driving and my other eye still had the prescription.

My biggest disappointment was not bring able to get multi-focal lens implants because I had previous Lasik, which changes the shape of the cornea. My hubby got them and will never need glasses again. They adjust to whatever you’re looking at, near or far.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 09:06 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you everyone, great tips and encouraging stories.

It sounds like adjusting glasses prescriptions afterward is the biggest hurdle.

I don't see why he can't just give me a little twilight sleep. You'd think it would benefit him and the staff, too, without me freaking out.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 12:51 PM  
meg39

Wow - I'm jealous of those who have better vision than before. I've always been nearsighted, and have had progressive lenses since about age 40.

I developed cataracts at age 52 that were fast developing. I had the surgery on both eyes 2 weeks apart, and now I can see distances fine, but can see nothing closeup without reading glasses. I can't read anything on my phone without glasses, I can't even tell the difference between shampoo and conditioner in the shower! I feel such a loss and some sadness. I don't if it was the surgeon or the lenses he used.

Anyway, as far as recovery, I probably started walking a day later and exercising within a couple weeks. I really don't recall it being much of a problem.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 12:54 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Great idea about the glasses, Joni.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 01:16 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg39 View Post
Wow - I'm jealous of those who have better vision than before. I've always been nearsighted, and have had progressive lenses since about age 40.

I developed cataracts at age 52 that were fast developing. I had the surgery on both eyes 2 weeks apart, and now I can see distances fine, but can see nothing closeup without reading glasses. I can't read anything on my phone without glasses, I can't even tell the difference between shampoo and conditioner in the shower! I feel such a loss and some sadness. I don't if it was the surgeon or the lenses he used.

Anyway, as far as recovery, I probably started walking a day later and exercising within a couple weeks. I really don't recall it being much of a problem.
If both your eyes can see distance, it’s normal that you can’t read as you age. My eyes have been monovision (one corrected for distance, one for reading) for many years. Glasses, then Lasik, now implanted lenses. Glad my eye doc suggested that years ago.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 06:50 PM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
If both your eyes can see distance, it’s normal that you can’t read as you age. My eyes have been monovision (one corrected for distance, one for reading) for many years. Glasses, then Lasik, now implanted lenses. Glad my eye doc suggested that years ago.
Yep, that is how my eyes are now (no cataract surgery). I can see distance OK. I am slightly nearsighted but can still do 20/20 without correction. Near stuff is blurry without contact/glasses. It's super annoying. It started in my early 40s.

I don't know if I would want to do multifocal for cataract surgery. I wear multifocal contact lenses. It took 3 brands to find ones I could see well out of. They don't work the greatest in low light. I should have a about 20 years until I need cataract surgery (if I follow my parents' health). Maybe they will have some advancements by then. Some people can adjust to monofocal, but I think I would be fine. My right eye sometimes doesn't want a contact so I just don't wear it. I can still see quite well.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 02:24 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Wishing you a quick recovery, Pat! My father had cataracts surgery and did have light sedation.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 07:22 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg39 View Post

My doctor gave me the option - I could choose to see distances without correction or see close up without correction. I chose to be able to see close up without correction (my doctor said most folks make the other choice). That was probably 10 years ago. I wear glasses for driving and at church, but nothing the rest of the time - no readers, no nothing. It's great - I see so much better than I ever did before the surgery. Recovery was quick - I don't really remember any restrictions after the first day or so.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataracts, cataracts and exercise, surgery