Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-03, 11:26 PM  
Erika

I made my first post a few days ago, but am generally a lurker. That doesn't mean that these posts have been any less important to me though! They have been a constant source of encouragement, not to mention entertainment. I've been reading the video reviews for two years or so, and couldn't do without them. I'm 28 and have lived in Tokyo, Japan, for going on five years now. I'm a translator at a securities company, and as if that weren't stressful enough, Tokyo must be one of the most hectic crazy cities out there. There are days when I just can't take one more morning commute stuffed like a sardine onto the train. or another day when me and my grocery bags can't make it down the sidewalk due to the crowds. But I'm finally going back to the States next month and am very excited but also nervous about making the transition. I really think that all the fabulous reviews and recommendations here have been a key part of getting me through the stress here. I discovered the Firm through this site, as well as Cathe and Christie and Bryan Kest's yoga program, all which have helped me destress. The other thing I just love about this site is the positive body-image you all seem to have. Everyone seems to be exercising for health and well-being more than to get bikini bodies, and that's a reinforcement I really need living here in Japan, land of the tiny 90-pound women. I'm 5"3 and a size 2 but often feel immense here in comparison! I'm sure that when I'm adjusting to life in the States again, this forum will have the same important role! Thanks to everyone,
Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-03, 04:20 PM  
kdoodles

Hello to everyone!

I am new to the site. I found this through the Firm Ya ya board. I tend to lurk more than post, but I thoroughly enjoy reading other people's success stories and their journey to achieve their fitness goals.

I currently am a SAHM to 3 kiddos. I am 30 years old and have always been fairly thin all my life, then child #3 came along and things just haven't been the same since. I still haven't lost the baby fat and am looking to do that......so I needs lots of motivation!

Kim
Old 07-09-03, 06:44 PM  
nova52799

:)

Hi. I'm Leslie. I just became a member about 10 minutes ago, however, I have been a lurker for the past week.

I live in New York with my cats and dog. I am a "start again, stop again" exerciser, hoping to be able to stick with it this time. This time, I have been at it for about 6 weeks - I started out with Leslie Sansone's WATP 1 mile for abs, and now I try to do a 1 mile in the morning before work and the 2 mile after I get home from work. I do a few other tapes occassionally to keep from getting bored.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning from all your knowledge!
nova52799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-03, 05:47 AM  
PamelaP

It's been great to see all the new intros over the past few weeks. Welcome welcome welcome!
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-03, 07:21 PM  
Catgirl
VF Supporter

Hi,

I'm new to VF. I stumbled upon your site a few days ago and was immediately amazed with the amount of info and experience here. Since I'm try to get healthier and fitter, I signed up right away!

I'm 37, have been married for 7 years to a great guy, and am mother to 2 spoiled cats. Plus, I take care of several "homeless" cats who live on my street...I think they call me mom too. I've loved cats all my life, and people started calling me Catgirl when I was pretty young, hence, the id I chose for these boards.

I'm trying to improve my overall health and strength as well as drop some weight (it has crept up since I got married!), and I've started looking into video workouts. I came across VF, and just reading the boards really inspired me! I'm happy to be a part of this community and I hope all my questions won't be too pesky

Here's to good health!

Beth "Catgirl"
Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-03, 05:58 PM  
funathome

New to this site!

I just loged on to this site this evening and love it! This is my first time ever to do something like this! I like looking at the different threads and getting good "suggestions and helps". I like "Old Firms" and just found Cathe!! I would like to increase my video collection, so would like to read more threads & get advice! (Thanks Loretta S. for yours on ABS!) I am a SAHM & homeschool, 9 1/2 - 3 yrs. old. We are military, so move a lot. I look forward to this foum/thread and group! Thanks, Amy
funathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-03, 08:45 AM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

I'll bite on this one.
I am a general lurker except I post to the pilates threads and occasionally others (bosu, and certain cardio)
I sometimes get caught up with work (I am a writer on beauty/fitness/fashion for print and web) and forget about coming here.
I lurked for a loooooooooooong time and just used the exchange forum. Now I post and love to talk about Pilates, my fave cardio people (Kari, Cathe, Christy), Bosu (everyone!) and also the strength ( Mindy, Keli and Cathe, Janis S)

anyway at one point I had over 150 videos and I started swapping and giving them away because I had mastered them.
I went to pilates for help with rehab from a back injury and modified a lot of what I do. I tried the gym and hated it. Just not enough good cueing. I kept waiting for stuff that I saw on video and it just wasnt' there!

I live outside Los Angeles. Went to IDEA and forgot to hook up with the VF there though we were all in the EXPO at the same time and saw the same people. I had a tight time frame and was there only a couple hours. Loved talking to Keli and the pilates people (*all of them!)

reading here keeps me motivated to keep trying new things. alerts me to new trends. I talk to a lot of fitness people (rob, kari, cathe, christy, lisa gaylord, keli, petra and janis) enough that I am aware of what they are doing. Just trying to do all that and the usual stuff keeps me very busy

I am married (LONG time!), have a 12 year old daughter and a crazy dog (Vizsla) and I live at the beach....

thanks for listening to my babble. I think I said too much
Stevie
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 08:06 PM  
lis_marie

I've been reading this thread for quite awhile, but for some reason, I'm just now getting around to right my own introduction!

I'm 22 and have been doing some kind of home exercise since I was about 15. I love working out! Over the last year, I've really tried to increase the intensity of my workouts---especially with strength training (I can FINALLY do full push-ups!) I started out with Kathy Smith tapes, and I still like some of them (Power Step, LWTLW). I've recently aquired a few Cathe tapes, and they are definitely getting my attention!! I'd say I'm advanced when it comes to intensity, but my coordination is kind of lacking when it comes to complex choreography.

No marriage right now, but the guy I'm with shares my love of fitness . He has a degree in health and performance, so it's nice having someone to go to with questions on form and rotations!

It's great reading about everyone else!

Lisa
lis_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 08:35 AM  
Aria

Am I suppost to post to this???

Well, anyway, here I am. Lurker for only one day before deciding I had to join <g> Well I did have quite a few questions that I wanted some informed opinions on.

Hope to be able to stick around, however, I know from other online forums, that sometimes I tend to come and go, mostly due to my college schedule =) I'm a senior voice performance major at a small Christian college. I'm also in the midst of audition for opportunities for when I graduate, so that will keep me pretty busy as well.

Joined the Y this summer to start using weights, and started attending some of their group classes as well. (Monday night was my first step class ever, and I think I'm already hooked!)

Lucky for me, back at school I do have access to the weight room, however, if I don't want to drive 20 minutes to the Y (and pay for a Y membership) I won't have any step or other aerobics, so thats why I'm trying to get into videos. Do have access to a tredmill and a stationary bike downstairs in my dorm, though, so that will help on variety too.

Well, I think thats it <g> probably more than you need to know =)

Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-03, 03:46 PM  
Vispateresa

Hello! Let me introduce myself: my name is Mariateresa, I'm Italian, I live and work in Milan. I'm 38 and live with my mum (yes, in Italy we tend to leave the nest very late). I have a lovely niece, Michelle, who is 8. I work for the Milan Municipality, and part of my job is writing for their website (www.comune.milano.it).

I must confess that I have never loved exercising or doing sports :rolleyes: I have been overweight all my life, so I decided it was to time to do something about it. I love walking but the weather is a bit of a problem (too hot in summer, too cold in winter) so I was looking for an alternative to walking (I don't like gyms).

In May 2003, while I was looking for walking programs on the net, I found out about videofitness.com and I was hooked! At first it was a bit frustrating because video fitness is not very popular in Italy, but now that I have built a nice collection of tapes it's getting better.

My BF thinks this is just another American craze, but I'm sure I'll prove him wrong, and I'll convince him that this is a way of life . I must say that if it wasn't for you all at videofitness.com I would have never had so much enthusiasm. The forum is a great source of support and information. Thank you! Ciao!
Vispateresa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread