Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-12, 01:58 AM  
ilovemybirds

Anyone use just one-two instructors for weight training?

I'm thinking about using Margaret Richard mostly exclusively, because I really like her, and her workouts work for my body right now. I've had problems with squats and lunges for years (my knees are just tweaky, I guess), and lately, my achilles tendon has been bothering me, and lunges seem to aggravate it, so I'm thinking Margaret's floor work may be the way to go -- at least for lower body. I do have some of Leslie Sansone's floor work workouts which I like to do sometimes, but I'd probably mostly do Margaret. For upper body, I REALLY like Margaret's variety of UB exercises, which is why I want to mostly stick with her. However, I do have a few of The Firm's UB workouts, a Denise Austin UB workout that I like (Hit the Spot Arms and Bust), and I plan on getting a few Cathe UB workouts.
My question is, will I plateau, if I mostly focus on Margaret Richard's workouts? How can I mix it up to keep challenging myself?
Thanks!
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:04 AM  
Artist of Eyes

I tend to stick to the same 2-3 instructors for weights myself. I have many more instructors/brands that I pop in occassionally when I want something different, but it's not often. To keep yourself challenged you will need to increase the weights- that prevents the plateaus. You can also change the order in which you use the DVDs and workouts and if the segments are short enough, you can double them up time permitting.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:07 AM  
shoegoddess

I mostly do Cathe but have been really enjoying
Michelle Dozois lately!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:09 AM  
Cammie-Cam

Mostly Cathe for me too especially for heavy weights.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:27 AM  
txfitmom

I only do a handful of instructors for weight training workouts as well. Right now it is Margaret Richard, Joyce Vedral, and KCM and I am about to add on Athlean XX. Occasionally, I will do a Cathe workout, but mostly I just stick to the same instructors. I think you could easily do Margaret Richard workouts only and not plateau because she has so many different moves and believe me that stuff is not easy! Every time I break out one of her workouts I feel like she is killing me...some of the exercises I find even tougher than STS! To keep from going into a plateau, I just slightly shift gears every now and then, maybe through in a circuit workout one day, just something different from another instructor or maybe get on the treadmill or elliptical or use different equipment. I like stuff from Gilad and Kendell Hogan for helping shake things up and breaking plateaus.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 01:38 PM  
Kyra

I suppose. I've used four trainers (the Cosgroves, which may really count as one trainer, Dos Remedios, and now Cressey) for the past two years or so. I'm happy with what I've been seeing (else I'd be sampling a different trainer pool!); I haven't seen any serious plateaus but then the workouts change frequently so it's difficult to get stuck.

I know very little about Margaret and if/how she varies her workouts. From what I recall she does high reps (like, in the zillions) using light weights; I think if your program is that one note it stop delivering for you after a while, although it's impossible to guess when that might happen. You could ride it out and rethink things if/when you hit a plateau; for all you or I know, you may get completely bored with your program long before that happens. In the past, I've ridden workout schemes until I could tell I was just done with them; there was no real harm done (IMO) because I was willing to move on when it was time. So that's a long winded way of saying, I'd just go for it and not worry about when it won't work. That day will come, but there's no need to think about it NOW.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 02:52 PM  
workoutjunkie

I used to use mostly Cathe. She has so many workouts that I could probably get all the variety I need so I wouldn't plateau. But I've recently tried Kelly Coffey-Meyer and really clicked with her as well, so I'll be acquiring even more workouts of hers too. Nice to have the variety and her workouts are definitely different. And lately, for me the 30 minute format has been nice to make sure I get my workouts in.

There are a few other instructors I like, but I really just stick to a few that I know I like. Seems often when I branch out I'm disappointed, but every now and then I'm pleasantly surprised. While I like variety and think it's good to branch out and try new things and new instructors, sticking with just a few helps me to keep my collection somewhat under control too.

My point is, it seems Margaret has a variety of workouts so you won't plateau. But, I think you should try some Cathe too. I hope I didn't confuse things more...
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 03:37 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I use mostly Cathe because she's the one who produces most of the weight training dvds. I do use some old ones: Cory Everson's Basic Sculpting System, Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Upper & Lower Body, and Amy Bento when I want a change of pace from Cathe.
Old 02-17-12, 06:31 PM  
Sara1000

I also plan to use mostly Margaret Richard for a while. I don't think you would plateau if you have several of her workouts - she does so many variations. I will also use some Leslie for strength on light days and for cardio.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 07:33 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

On some of Margaret's newer workouts, she goes heavier than in the older ones. And yes, she does have quite a variety of moves/exercises so there's your muscle "confusion". When I do finally get a chance to workout, I tend to reach for Margaret or Erin O'Brien's Strong Body, Ageless Body (only one of hers I really love) or Jari Love (her Original Ripped or Ripped and Chiseled). I still hang on to CLX for heavy lifting...and is Chalene a change from the others