Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 01-08-02, 03:12 PM  
Anne V
VF Supporter

Yoga Bolsters

I'm looking for advice on yoga bolsters. I don't have one and after playing the roll up the pillow to the approximate shape game for my restorative the other day, I'm very tempted to get one.

First off, there seems to be two basic shapes, one that's round, the other that's somewhat flattened. But the flatter one is shorter. Is one better than the other?

And what's best for filling? Cotton batting seems to be a popular stuffing but there are also some with buckwheat and another with some sort of bark...can't remember the name.

And of course, where can you get one cheaply?

Thanks!
Anne V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-02, 04:14 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I dont' know about cheaply, I tend to look for quality over price. I have one rectangular bolster I bought from Living Arts (before they were Gaiam). I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was around $36. It's very good quality and seems to stand up to whatever I want to put it through. My cats will claw on it if they can get away with it (the little beasts!) but it doesn't seem to hurt it.

I have one round bolster that I bought from the close out bin at the local futon store for $7. I use it for a pillow, much more than for yoga practice, but I do incorporate it now & then. It's softer and less stiff than the rectangular one. One of my teachers said that they always use the rond ones at the Iyengar Institute in Pune, India.

I think that what kind you got would depend on what you were going to use it for. If you're going to do stuff like supported setu bandhasana then I think the rectangle would be preferable, but that's just my opinion, of course.

If you are crafty like Lianne & Rainy you could probably make yourself a nice bolster using a round or rectangular pillow form from the fabric store.

Oh, one more thing, I just got a zabuton from Hugger Mugger and it can also be folded in two to be used as a bolster. It's got a combo of buckwheat & cotton filling. It's very versatile, because of it's shape (large flatish rectangle) and I've used it every day since I got it for sitting and inverted poses.
Old 01-08-02, 09:41 PM  
Rainy L.
VF Supporter

Crafty like Rainy!

Ha!

I've found after buying all the stuff to make mine, that it might have been as expensive to have just bought them ready-made. Oh, well. Mine will be beautiful, and I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

I think the name of the bark, Anne, is kapok--is that what you mean? That's what the old-fashioned life-preservers are stuffed with--it's lightweight and resilient, used mostly for meditation pillows (zafus).

Do 5 good Kegels right now!
Rainy L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-02, 11:00 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

sooo - the astangi wants a prop -LOL

Hey Anne,

I have both a round and a rectangular one, but if I could only have one, it would be the round one. I made the round one myself - with a little help from my local futon store. I made the shell the dimensions I wanted and then took it to them and told them to pack it with cotton -and to really pack it full and hard- cause it always shifts and squashes down after you've used it awhile. I had them do it cause they are experienced stuffers. If you aren't a do-it-yourselfer, I would just take a picture and dimensions to the futon store and ask them how much. I bought my rectangular one at halfmoon yoga props in Vancouver. Their prices are cheaper than hugger mugger, and they are in CDN $. But how much would shipping be, that is the question.

I wouldn't suggest making one using a foam pillow form - they just aren't firm enough.

I've never had anything filled with kapok,but maybe that will be my next project.

Lianne
Lianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-02, 11:07 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Re: Crafty like Rainy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainy L.
I've found after buying all the stuff to make mine, that it might have been as expensive to have just bought them ready-made. Oh, well. Mine will be beautiful, and I'll post pictures when I'm finished.
It's not the cost savings, it the satisfaction of having made it yourself, right? Beautiful, one-of-a-kind handmade things are wonderful!!
Old 01-10-02, 09:05 AM  
Anne V
VF Supporter

Re: sooo - the astangi wants a prop -LOL

Oh oh, will they kick me out of the sisterhood? Brotherhood? Siblinghood? LOL

I really want it to prop behind me while I'm doing brainless things like watching tv but don't tell anyone that!

One restorative and I'm hooked. This is dangerous. Next thing you know I'll be rearranging my house to install a rope wall. And maybe I should add a huge gong. And I'm sure I need every style of bolster too!

And Lianne, thanks for the idea about the futon store. There is one close to here and I can check to see if they'll stuff for me. I'm semi handy and could probably make one without too much trouble but I have noticed that buying materials for most things costs almost as much as buying it in the first place.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
Anne V is offline   Reply With Quote