Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-21, 12:01 PM  
Vantreesta

Challenges and Check-ins descriptions

I thought with it being the new year it might be nice to give a little description of the various check-ins and challenges to help anyone looking for one to join.

Please share the title of the check in; what the primary focus is; whether it is a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly, or ongoing thread; and maybe a little about how active it is and the general vibe of the group (chatty, mostly reporting workouts, hoping to have good feedback, no worries about posting personals, that kind of thing). Feel free to post a link to a recent thread. Oh and I know there are some check-ins in the General Discussion section as well so maybe also share where to find the check-in.

I'm running like an hour behind my schedule this morning so I'll be back later to share but let's start posting and welcoming new check-in buddies!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 12:59 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies

The Crone Cronies check-in has been around for a long time. It used to be a big check-in and now there are a few of us who check-in every day with others who drop in when they can. We also have lurkers who drop in periodically to respond to something in the thread.

We are a chatty group. Some post a lot. Some post less (frequency and/or volume). We don't really care and want everyone to take part however they want. We talk about workouts, life, whatever is on our minds.

Being a Crone/Cronie is a state of mind. We have had women of from 30s and up in our check-in. We are probably best known for our themes. We restart the thread every Sunday with a new theme.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 11:16 PM  
Vantreesta

Getting Buff Challenge to Keep Moving

Here's the intro to the Getting Buff check-in. We do a monthly check-in.

If you're trying to increase lean muscle mass, lower body fat through strength training, and tone up, this is the check-in for you! We're a small, friendly group doing a wide variety of workouts: weights, kettlebells, barre, pilates, yoga, running. We don't tend to be chatty, but if more people join and it becomes chatty, that's fine, too.

Some list our workouts and the number of minutes worked out accumulating the minutes toward a year end goal while others post workouts when they find time.

Everyone welcome.

Edited to add link http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230069

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 01-04-21, 11:19 PM  
Vantreesta

Add 'em up Goals & Habits Challenge

Come join us in setting and achieving goals to promote your overall wellness! We are a friendly and welcoming group who love to chat when we have time, but please also feel free to join us if you want to just focus on your goals. No pressure here to address everyone; share as little or as much as you want!

We do a monthly check-in. There are about half a dozen in this group this month.

Edited to add link http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230042

Old 01-04-21, 11:24 PM  
Vantreesta

Endurance Check-in -Run, bike, swim, hike, row and more

INTRO: This check-in celebrates the art of staying in motion. Some of us are training for marathons, some for 5Ks and others for triathlons. Some of us are just training for life or trying to keep up with life.

We talk a lot about running, but we are also cyclists, occasional swimmers, hikers, past and future triathletes and any other long distance sport you can think of. We struggle with fitting in all the workouts, what we "should" be doing to overcoming injuries and life's challenges. We learn from one another and trade training tips, links to cute workout clothes and, of course, recommendations for good workouts.

We are currently running about a quarterly check-in as there are only a few of us posting right now.

Edited to add link http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230122

Old 01-04-21, 11:27 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for posting, Laura! I thought there would be more posted by now!

Old 01-05-21, 06:52 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

"Workouts..." threads in General Discussion

Since September, 2017, I've been starting most of the threads with titles formatted like "Workouts, 2021-01-05, Tuesday" in General Discussion. Following existing practice (see below), I post these threads daily in General Discussion. (I don't know the initial reasoning for posting them here instead of "Challenges and Check-ins.")

These threads are a place for posting workouts. There is no one "specific" purpose; I can imagine a few possibilities, and each thread is what you posters make of it. These threads are active enough, and rare is the day when there are no replies at all. People do reply to others' posts; the environment isn't generally very chatty. I neither encourage nor discourage chatting as such (I try to avoid imposing any "rules" or expectations beyond things like standard VF rules and basic courtesy), but maybe some posters prefer a place that isn't as chatty or deeply into "personals" as some of the check-ins.

If you feel drawn to post, you're invited!

Historical sidebar

These threads weren't my creation, and I didn't really read them at first. Several years ago, though, I'd started to appreciate their presence more. By 2017, these threads started becoming sporadic, and after what was probably a few weeks without a new thread, I revived starting threads. Even if I'm good for little else here, at least I can reliably start daily threads that don't require much writing. Ever since, people have been posting--thanks! Without replies, these threads would look rather silly.

I vaguely remember the existence of an initial thread, but I don't remember any details of it. For example, I don't know the initial "name" for this thread series, whose idea it was, or when these threads started. I just searched, though, and have found threads from 2009.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 08:22 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I'm in 2 check-ins:

Friends in Fitness
Margaret Richard & Friends

The Friends in Fitness has been around about 7 or so years. It started as a 12 Lbs down check-in for we were all looking to lose 12 lbs. It morphed a few times into what it is now. It's a small group and people have drifted in and out through the years but we're very flexible. I usually post daily but others post weekly or when they can. We post our workouts and often chat about what's going on in our lives but that's not mandatory of course. The purpose is to support and encourage each other in their fitness goals.

The Margaret Richard check-in started because Gypsy Rose was doing Margaret Richard workouts and wanted a place to record her reviews of the workouts. It is also a small and supportive group and we do many other instructors not just MR. Another very encouraging check-in.

ETA -- All are welcome to join either check-in or just pop in when you can.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 08:30 AM  
Vantreesta

Thank you, hch and summer breeze!

Old 01-05-21, 08:40 AM  
Vantreesta

Tear off the Shrinkwrap! New workout check-in!

This check-in can be found in the General Discussions. It is an ongoing thread that was started in Sept 2019 and has sporadic postings.

Since several people liked the idea of a check in for untried "virgin" workouts I thought I'd start one! Share what new-to-you workout you've done lately. Whether it's stayed in shrinkwrap on your shelf for years, you just purchased an oldie or it's truly a brand new workout, tell us about it!

Edited to add link http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=226773

Tags
check-in, check-ins