Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-12-21, 08:31 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 12 (strength) - 22 minutes;
Pilates By Lisa - Beginner's Series - Day 2 - 22 minutes

This was the most straight-forward strength work I think I've ever done from Pahla. I liked this one a lot!

Donna - I liked Pahla's balance work in Day 11 too. Normally I struggle with her balance work, but this one felt a little easier than some of her others. I do not have good balance, genetically or otherwise. I was thrilled with my bloodwork, except for my blood sugar. I don't know what else I can do, except give up the fruit I eat and the little bit of bread that I have in a week. I've also thought about dragging out Jessica's WS1 set and working through it again. I may do that in February.

Brenda - Nice job! And thanks! How's your busy life going? School, job, etc.?

Waves to Dana and Linda!

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 09:13 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Carol, congrats on much improved blood labs! Your hard work and consistency is paying off.

JS Energy Walk - 30min. This one is off one of her earlier walking dvds.
JV Non-Impact HIIT Fundamentals - 24min

I really enjoyed Jessica Valant's HIIT Fundamentals which was essentially lower body squats and lunges workout. I didn't go quite as low as Jessica did, but I know I'll be feeling this one tomorrow. Jessica Smith's Walk for Energy was a nice steady-state cardio which surprising gave me about 4400 steps and solid 2 miles. I'll take it!

Donna, my balance was pretty good my entire life until recently. I used to ice skate and then I used to do inline skates regularly up until about 2 years ago. I'm planning to go back to inline skating regularly this spring because I love the speed. Nowadays, I also need to pay more attention to balance work. Ah, the joys of getting older....

I'm going to the office today and need to get ready now. Waves to all!
Old 01-13-21, 10:35 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 12 - Simple Strength Training. A nice straightforward workout. You could definitely go heavier if you were so inclined since this one moves slowly and there are no fancy moves.

Jessica Valent - Power of Twists - I hesitated on this one - thinking it would be hard - and it was - but in a good way. Jessica mentions up front it would be wrist intensive - I know she likes to do a lot of body weight stuff for arms, but I wish she was more inclusive in this regard to people who may not be able to be on their hands/wrists for so long. I personally don't have an issue with it - but I know many people do. Maybe she should post alternative workouts on the days she knows are wrist intensive. This one was also filmed outside and it was windy so the sound quality was not great. But, it was a good workout that I found challenging in some spots and definitely had to modify. I do like the challenge though.

Yesterday for my extras I did CS 1106 - Standing and Barre work and Ellen's Quick Fix, which was all floorwork.

Dana - I like Jessica's Non-Impact HIIT fundamentals...nice and straightforward!

Carol - Good job! I wonder if your blood sugar needs more time to adjust? Did it improve at all? Maybe if it is going down that is a good sign and it will continue to get better over time?

Waves, Brenda! Good work w/ Jessica.

Soooo...for February I'm thinking about options - either doing Jessica's WS1 again, doing Pahla's other weight loss series or her body shaping program, or following Jessica V's calendar and mixing in a variety.

I'm not sure....I am surprised that I'm sticking it out w/ Pahla so far. And, I actually feel a little less bulky....for lack of a better word....I did start logging my food (something I hate doing) and being more mindful of snacking and I think it is at least working to depuff me.

I have plans for extras today just not sure which ones..LOL!

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 11:25 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Donna, thanks for the warning about the Power of Twists being wrist intensive. I was thinking about doing this one tomorrow but I'll probably do her Intermediate Full Body Pilates instead. That one was listed for Jan 1 but at 50min in length, I never got around to doing it.

As for February, I'm not even thinking that far ahead. I'm still just going for consistency but so far, I haven't been successful. These past couple of weeks were really stressful for me and I am just now getting my motivation back. Sort of......

I have a feeling that after my upcoming physical on the 25th I will have to get my butt in gear and make some lifestyle changes.
Old 01-13-21, 06:24 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith's HIIT Walk

Jessica's 4-week Walk On rotation is still happening here.

Carol, thanks for asking! Life is crazy but I'm feeling better about it today. I realized I had way too many plates to spin so I needed to unload those "plates" by getting those things crossed off of my list. So spent the last couple of days painting the closet at our rental house that hubby was waiting on, did all the church donation reports, and did the bank reconciliation job I'm paid to do. THEN I could finally think straight to work on school stuff today.

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 09:15 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 13 (walk & low impact) - 25 minutes;
Jessica Valant - Gentle Pilates - 15 Minute Beginner Workout - 17 minutes

I enjoyed this cardio workout from Pahla. This must show how much I like Pahla - I generally hate cardio and for me to say that I liked a cardio workout is truly a miracle!

Donna - Actually it didn't improve at all, even going up a couple of points, while all of my other stuff improved even from 3 months ago. My fasting blood glucose numbers are in the "pre-diabetes" range, while the 2 hour glucose tolerance test results came back as full blown Type 2 diabetes. My doctor recommended a supplement, which I ordered tonight off Amazon. We'll see what the numbers look like in another 3 months. Honestly, I think I am just barely diabetic.

Brenda - Glad you got some of those things marked off your list! Doesn't that always feel good?

Dana - I am in awe of anyone who has ever ice skated or inline skated! I'm another one who isn't a fan of wrist intensive pilates work.

Waves ~

Carol
Old 01-14-21, 09:24 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I'm still sticking with Pahla!

Today was:

Pahla B- Walk off the Weight Day 13 - Low Impact "Knee Friendly" cardio. Typical of Pahla's workouts - it was 30 seconds walking alternated with 30 seconds of low impact.

Jessica Valent - 10 Min Beginner Ab Workout & 20 min Full Body Opening.
I enjoyed both of these - the ab work focused on foundational moves and the full body opening included some nice stretching and mobility work.

I think I will get some CS in today!

Yesterday for extras I did - Ellen B - Core Cardio - this is a 20 min low key core and cardio workout - very gentle....and I added on Yoga w/ Bird - (You Tube) - Yoga for Stiff bodies.

Once again, I feel at odds w/ Adriene. Did she change or did I? Anyway, I had been hearing about Yoga w/ Bird here on VF and decided to try her out. She has a You Tube channel and so far, so good, I enjoyed the practice I did yesterday. On her website she has monthly calendars - which I am a sucker for! Not entirely sure if I will completely ditch Adriene or not, but I may do a little more with Bird and Kassandra..

Along w/ my Pahla B plan I'm working my way through the winter solstice sadhana (40 days of yoga) so I am trying to add a little bit of yoga in every day. The Yoga w/ Bird practice I did yesterday was about 10 min.

Carol - It does more like pre-diabetic than diabetic...but it is good that your dr is on top of it and suggesting alternatives to treat it and get things under control. Here's a shocker, I am seriously considering doing Pahla's first weight loss series after I finish this one. This is just so easy for me to stick to. I hope I'm getting something out of it - I suppose I am - Pahla's stuff is sneaky and I suspect I'm getting more core work and balance work than I even think I'm getting from her workouts. At some point I would like to do the Body Shaping challenge, too. Of course, I'm not even half way through this rotation yet - so things are subject to change, LOL!

Brenda - good job on your workout and for getting stuff done!!

Dana - I think Jessica also had a reformer workout scheduled on the day of the "twists" workout - do you have a reformer? I did do the long Pilates workout on Jan 1st, I don't remember all of it - but I think it was fairly challenging. I'm really enjoying her stuff, still....so that is good! LOL!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 01-14-21, 09:12 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 14 (low impact & strength - no equipment) - 22 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Full Body Flow - 14 minutes

I must be tired - I found Pahla's workout today more challenging than the last few have been. I think it was all the arms over my head in that second circuit.

Smriti's Full Body Flow is a new offering on YouTube. All of the exercises were well within my capabilities, with the exception of the Leg Pull Back exercise, which is really wrist intensive.

Donna - Nice workout choices! Maybe all of Adrienne's success has changed her?

Waves ~

Carol
Old 01-15-21, 09:03 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Happy Friday!

This morning was a bit of a change of pace:

CS 1107 - I can't remember the title - but it was all standing which is my favorite.

Ellen- Gentle Barre - this is her new workout on her streaming site for January. I always feel very relaxed and zen when working with Ellen.

I *may* squeeze Pahla's workout in later today as my mid-day break, but I will see how i feel. I think it is only 22 minutes, so easy enough to sneak away to do.

Yesterday's mid-day, well, actually, late afternoon activity was a walk w/ my doggie and DD. I got my hair trimmed last night so no evening workout - there were just two stylists - one left after we got there, and my DD and I were the only clients - we all had our masks on - so I felt it wasn't too risky to be there. I think they make sure to leave lots of time between appointments.

Carol - I was wondering that about Adriene - she seems a bit more "snobby" now - but maybe it is just me...I should try one of her older challenges to see how I feel about old Adriene vs. New - it could be that my tastes have just changed....thanks for the "warning" about Pahla's workout. Believe it or not, I'm feeling a bit less puffy for lack of a better word since doing this rotation (and honestly, this week I have been much better about watching my snacking during the day). Thanks for mentioning Smritri's workout - I may put that on my radar to do in the future. I did a short trial to her site or maybe joined one of her challenges, either way, I liked her....

Waves, everyone!

Donna
Old 01-15-21, 09:38 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

JS Strength Interval Walk off 30 Day set - 30min. Then I lost my mind and did:
Turbo Jam Cardio Party Mix 2 - 43min. This was SO much fun! High energy and good music. I've always liked Chalene and used to do TJs and Turbo Fires a lot back in the day but not for at least 5 years or more. I'm so glad I've hung on to all these sets and that I still can do them!

No pilates for me today but I will definitely need to do a nice stretching workout later in the day.

Donna, yes I do have an Aeropilates reformer but I haven't been using it lately. I always seem to circle back to things, so I'll probably start using it at some point - maybe with Jessica Valant.

Hi to Carol, Linda, Brenda, Christine and Cheri!