Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-06, 12:03 AM  
cambet

I'm so glad that I read this thread before I did Ripped. I got it last week from Netflix but I had not done it since I am doing a Slim Series rotation. I usually burn over 300 calories with SS.

I substituted in Ripped for my SS (Tone It Up) w/o this evening. I even did 6 mins of WATP 1 Mile Super Challenge just to get my heartrate up.

Well, I burned a measly 62 calories (granted, I used dumbbells and went a little lower than Jari's weights, but still). I was not in my target zone for most of the workout. If I had not read this post first, I would have wondered if I was doing something wrong or if something was wrong with my HRM because I've read the claims about how many calories you can burn with Ripped.

I know that others have said that the caloric burn is not so important to them since they really enjoy the workout, but if I'm going to spend 55 minutes doing a workout, I'd like to burn more that 62 calories. I'm glad I got this from Netflix. I think that I'm going to pass on buying this one.

cambet
cambet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 09:24 AM  
stephanie_932

When I do this workout, I usually warm-up about 15 on the treadmill, just walking. With that and the workout I burn over 300 calories......so, all you enablers just ended up talking me into pre-ordering these ones.

I love Jari and the Ripped workout.......so, I know I'll enjoy these!
Old 03-17-06, 12:50 PM  
cambet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie_932
When I do this workout, I usually warm-up about 15 on the treadmill, just walking. With that and the workout I burn over 300 calories......so, all you enablers just ended up talking me into pre-ordering these ones.

I love Jari and the Ripped workout.......so, I know I'll enjoy these!
Wow, Stephanie,

You burn over 300 calories??? Maybe I should give it another try and do more cardio beforehand. As I said, I did 6 min of cardio just to get my heart rate up and the total caloric burn was just 92 calories. I tried to jump around between working each part, just to get back in my zone. I liked the workout ok, but I would like to burn more calories. Maybe I will give it another try.
Old 03-17-06, 01:11 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie_932
And the 2 new ones are supposed to be more advanced, so we should burn more calories.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 01:14 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambet
I'm so glad that I read this thread before I did Ripped. I got it last week from Netflix but I had not done it since I am doing a Slim Series rotation. I usually burn over 300 calories with SS.

I substituted in Ripped for my SS (Tone It Up) w/o this evening. I even did 6 mins of WATP 1 Mile Super Challenge just to get my heartrate up.

Well, I burned a measly 62 calories (granted, I used dumbbells and went a little lower than Jari's weights, but still). I was not in my target zone for most of the workout. If I had not read this post first, I would have wondered if I was doing something wrong or if something was wrong with my HRM because I've read the claims about how many calories you can burn with Ripped.

I know that others have said that the caloric burn is not so important to them since they really enjoy the workout, but if I'm going to spend 55 minutes doing a workout, I'd like to burn more that 62 calories. I'm glad I got this from Netflix. I think that I'm going to pass on buying this one.

cambet
Yeow, I burn more calories than that when I'm sitting at my desk working! Are you sure your HRM was working?

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 02:03 PM  
cambet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Edington
Yeow, I burn more calories than that when I'm sitting at my desk working! Are you sure your HRM was working?
Martha,

Exactly! I think it was working because it recorded that I burned 30 calories with the 6 min WATP 1 Mile Express. Then after the squats in Ripped I fell below my target zone. It is my understanding that if your heartrate is not at least 100, most HRM don't record the caloric output. During most of the rest of the workout I was below my target zone.

When I finished and saw that I burned so few calories, I threw in the TJ 20 Min w/o just so that I could see that I burned some calories. The HRM worked fine, showing the usual number of calories that I burn with TJ.

Maybe I wasn't working hard enough during Ripped, but it did not keep me in my target zone. Someone else on this thread has said that they only burned 96 calories doing Ripped according to their HRM. Who knows? I might do a cardio w/o, then give it one more try.
Old 03-17-06, 02:31 PM  
ellens2

I don't wear my hr monitor doing strength work. I don't care how many/few calories I burn doing this as I'm more looking for results. I enjoy Jari's style and I enjoy the look of my muscles from the workout.
ellens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 03:09 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellens2
I don't wear my hr monitor doing strength work. I don't care how many/few calories I burn doing this as I'm more looking for results. I enjoy Jari's style and I enjoy the look of my muscles from the workout.
EXACTLY!!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 03:20 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellens2
I don't care how many/few calories I burn doing this as I'm more looking for results. I enjoy Jari's style and I enjoy the look of my muscles from the workout.
Me three.
But, hey, whatever gets you working out is your priority.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 03:31 PM  
Aline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
I can gurantee that when you get the "Alta-Tude Fitness" workouts, you will burn 750 calories just trying to get them out of the packaging!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Edington
Speaking as someone who's traded with you in the past, if you're doing the packaging, that's probably true.
Martha, I've traded with Alta too and know exactly what you mean.

The purpose of weight training isn't to burn calories while you're doing it. But if as a result of lifting you gain muscle then you might burn more calories all day long permanently.

OK, that statement is both debatable and widely debated and I don't mean to start one right now (but, it does seem to hold true for me, so I'm mentioning it).
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jari love