Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-06, 11:52 AM  
stephanie_932

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl
I'm wondering if you use a barbell with this workout, can you go heavier? What I mean is it sounds like some of you use 5-8 lb dumbbells and others use 15-20 with a barbell. So does using a barbell allow you to be able to use a heavier weight?
I would say, most definitely!!! In the workout, Jari always has 1 person using dumbbells..........so you can do either.

I think that's why I like this workout, too.........So many options!
Old 01-29-06, 12:01 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Actually, I don't think so. Weight is weight whether you're using dumbbells or barbell. The only difference would be the distribution of the weight and that does allow people with a weaker side to lift, maybe, slightly heavier with a barbell because the strong side is compensating (carrying more weight) than the weaker side.

If one side of your body is weaker than the other, it's actually better for you to use dumbbells to avoid that compensation. I change between both depending on my mood and the weight doesn't change, just the equipment.

Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 12:38 PM  
Gardengirl

Lexy - Yup, logically it would seem that weight is weight and it wouldn't make a difference. But squats with 5-8 lbs are challenging for me and when I did Ripped the other day (first time) I had 13 lbs on the barbell and it didn't seem as difficult (although I do think my form is better using the barbell). And even doing the bicep curls (which I normally use 8 lbs dumbbells) I did with the 13 lb using barbell and I felt like I could up the weight. Anyone else find this true??
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 01:05 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Gardengirl, I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you use 8lbers in each hand for bicep curls and 13lbs total weight for the barbell? That's a three pound difference in what you're lifting so it would seem you could go up in weight.

Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 02:19 PM  
Gardengirl

That was a bad example wasn't it! I meant to put in 5 lbs dumbbells and and 13 lbs with barbell! Ooops! Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the distribution of the weight in the barbell makes a difference in how heavy you can lift. Overall, the barbell just seems easier for me to use than dumbbells even with more weight on it (when I do the math correctly - LOL)!
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 02:35 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I can see where the barbell would be easier to manage than trying to control two dumbells. Sometimes I wish I could find our barbell rather than trying to manage two heavy dumbells, other times I'm glad for the extra challenge

I've been adding ankle weights for the floor work for the legs (abductor/adductor work). I suspected Jari wasn't being consistent with the counts on both legs; one thing I used to do when I had far fewer workouts and wanted to bring in some muscle confusion, was to start off with a different leg. IOW, instead of always leading off with the right leg, try starting with the left leg. That may not confuse the muscles much, but by alternating the starting leg (or any body part side) each time you do the workout might even things up over time?
Old 01-29-06, 03:28 PM  
stephanie_932

Good idea, Lydia..........Thanks for the suggestion on the leg work!

Tags
dumbbell size, get ripped, jari love, strength