Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-06, 08:24 PM  
benemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy
I think Jari is still on track for releasing her next new dvd the end of February. Only a few weeks away! But the release date has less to do with her and more to do with the production company so don't hold me to it.

I love this workout, too. My barbell has 20lbs for the tricep work, and 30lbs for the chest/back work. Then I use weenie 5lbers for the shoulder work and it still kills me.

Super weenie here. I use dumbells (I don't have a barbell) and I use 8lbs for deadlifts and 5 lbs for everything but the last shoulder things and then I use 3 lbers. Now I really feel like a loser. LOL! Oh well. I'm okay with that.

It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
-Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
benemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 08:31 PM  
stephanie_932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellens2
All this talk about this workout made me want to do it again. So I did but I skipped the shoulder work since I did so much of that doing SIM last night. I still love this workout though. The time flies.
I wonder why time does fly with this workout? I've been trying to figure it out after about the 4th time doing it.

I thought the "fastness feeling" of this would wear off once the honeymoon phase was over.......but there is no dread factor for this workout for me..........despite the terrible DOMS I get the 2 days following the workout.

Things that make you go......hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 01-28-06, 08:41 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Krista, I'm a strength and endurance person, not a step person. You'd fall on the floor laughing if you ever saw me trying to do step. Actually, I just ride my bike for cardio cuz I got so disgusted trying to follow the choreo.

AND, I danced (classes) until I was 33!!! Now if they would just turn around and let me follow them from behind, I'd be fine.

So I'm a step-dork.

Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 08:52 PM  
ellens2

benemma - don't feel like a Super weenie. When I first started doing ripped I only used 3 and 5lb dumbells and still couldn't complete all the reps. If you keep doing it 3x/week, you'll gain the strength and endurance to up the weight. We've all been there at some point.

stephanie_932 - It's definately a hmm on why this workout flies. I can't even count how many times I've done it and I'm still amazed when it's over. I think because it flows well and you complete all the reps for a body part at once.
ellens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 09:18 PM  
Fitstick

I found this workout at Best Buy today for $10! Great price!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 09:35 PM  
Mary09

My copy finally came from the DDD 'preorder', and I did it tonight. My barbell isn't here yet so I used 8 lb. dumbbells, except for 5s and 3s for the shoulder work.

I liked it, and it is in the style of Body Pump, but it's no match for the intensity of live Body Pump, in my opinion. I always burned 400 calories in Body Pump class and I burned 179 over this one. I couldn't go as heavy here at home, though. And she goes WAY fewer on the lunges, which are big calorie burners for me. Not that this is a cardio workout, I know.

And the music was not comparable, to me. BP is LOUD, rock/pop hits by the original artists. I know that's hard to arrange on DVDs, though.

I'm sure I'll do it regularly, though. It was well worth $8. I like Jari. She is pretty serious, but that suits me.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 10:02 PM  
fab40's

I have done this one a couple times and I like her, but I found this a little boring. I was hoping for a couple different exercises per muscle group, but that wasn't the case. the lower body weight work wasn't very long or effective. It's like a really short Cathe routine. I will use this though on days where I don't want much of a weight workout. I just found myself getting bored and thinking this is the same ole same ole weight work.
fab40's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 10:08 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I kinda cringed when people started comparing it to BodyPump because I didn't really agree, although I can see the similarity. It is very much like the BodyPump consumer workout WITHOUT the great music.

I guess the BodyPump brand has oodles of money to spend on music cuz getting original recordings or remakes is very expensive. Jari's next workouts will have the same type of instrumental stuff but, hopefully, better.

And by the time she gets to the 4th dvd, it'll be AWT. She definitely had a plan when making the new workouts to be a progression/series of more intense workouts.

BodyPump is BodyPump and I don't see anyone who could compare. They'd need big bucks to do it.

Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 09:48 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy
It is very much like the BodyPump consumer workout WITHOUT the great music.

I guess the BodyPump brand has oodles of money to spend on music cuz getting original recordings or remakes is very expensive. Jari's next workouts will have the same type of instrumental stuff but, hopefully, better.
Since I dislike working out to most "orginal recordings" or "remakes" (uinless they are of my choosing), prefer instrumentals to vocals, and LOVED the music in "Ripped" (like I'm in a muscle factory, building muscle, and have my own theme song), I was hoping Jari would stay with the same type of music and not go the route Cathe did and start putting in a lot of vocal songs.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 11:23 AM  
Gardengirl

I'm wondering if you use a barbell with this workout, can you go heavier? What I mean is it sounds like some of you use 5-8 lb dumbbells and others use 15-20 with a barbell. So does using a barbell allow you to be able to use a heavier weight?
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumbbell size, get ripped, jari love, strength