Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-18, 09:05 AM  
deineira

Jari Love rotation

Hi,
Many of you have posted that you've gotten very good results using Jari's workouts over the years. I'm thinking about doing a rotation of these mixed with cardio workouts from Les Mills and some pilates as a change of pace.
I would be curious to hear how frequently you've included these workouts and what you've mixed them with. I'm going for fat loss.

Thanks!
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-18, 10:14 AM  
kat999

I don't do a strict Jari-only rotation personally, but I use her workouts in combination with the FIRM (all eras), Anna Benson's post-FIRM series, and some Tracie Long Training videos to create a little "aerobic weight training" rotation two days a week. Two days a week, I do pure cardio in the form of outdoor jogging or a walking video (in either case, I do 5 miles), and then on the weekends I do shorter cardio sessions of around 4 miles. One day a week I do active or complete recovery, either no workout or a very gentle yoga session.

As I reach some of my personal fitness goals and the weather transitions to make it less feasible to do outdoor workouts, I plan to increase my AWT days to three. But for me personally, doing a Jari-only rotation would be a good plan if I were in a mode where my goals were primarily about increasing lean muscle mass and/or maintaining some kind of fitness level achievement.

Another point is that with AWT workouts, since I'm not doing them too many days per week, I wait a very long time to progress to a new higher weight level. Currently, I'm using dumbbells of 3-5 pounds, and I'm probably going to stay in that range for another month or so before increasing my upper range by another pound. I believe in extremely small incremental changes, so I personally have a dumbbell set in 1-pound increments from 1-10 pounds. As my fitness level has fluctuated over the years, this approach works for me in terms of providing a challenge, a good range of weight sizes for my personal body type, and allows me to pyramid up or down very easily.
Old 07-21-18, 11:42 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post

Another point is that with AWT workouts, since I'm not doing them too many days per week, I wait a very long time to progress to a new higher weight level. Currently, I'm using dumbbells of 3-5 pounds, and I'm probably going to stay in that range for another month or so before increasing my upper range by another pound. I believe in extremely small incremental changes, so I personally have a dumbbell set in 1-pound increments from 1-10 pounds. As my fitness level has fluctuated over the years, this approach works for me in terms of providing a challenge, a good range of weight sizes for my personal body type, and allows me to pyramid up or down very easily.
Can you share which workouts you are using? I am recovering from surgery and can only use lighter dumbbells.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-18, 01:33 PM  
kat999

I do all of Jari Love's DVDs, from the original Get Ripped through Get Extremely Ripped and Chiseled, etc. Just lighten up the weights as needed. For the FIRM workouts, I have and do so many from all the different eras (classics, pinks, Wave, Express) but you might want to stick with the Basics set and use lighter or no weights if your shoulder is an issue. The three Basics videos are awesome and I believe available on DVD reissues.

With Jari, if I'm having a tough go through one of hers which are all around 60 minutes long, I just do the first half; since she has stretching after each exercise, I don't feel like I'm missing an overall stretch/cooldown if I don't fast forward to the "official" cooldown.

Tags
dumbbell size, jari love, jari love rotation