Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-17, 02:12 AM  
Non-Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I have a few questions for when someone gets around to doing this one.

1) How much does she go to the floor?
2) When does she go to the floor? During workout or only at the end?
3) Can cardio be modified to be done without step?

Thanks!
The full workout (65 minutes) consists of cardio intervals alternating with combination strength exercises. You do a set exercises for approximately 45 seconds and then you get a 15-second active rest. This is repeated 4 times and then you move to the next track. So you would do 45 seconds of a cardio followed by 15 seconds of active rest (lower intensity exercise) and then do that 3 more times, repeating the same moves. Then you'd go to the strength moves and follow the same format. Jari says at the beginning that the step is optional and she repeats that throughout the workout when she offers modifications. This will reduce intensity, of course, but the workout is very easy to adapt to the floor. There is no floor work until the end. At 52 minutes into the full workout, she does chest work using the step as a bench. You will have to do that on the floor or a regular weight bench if you don't have a step. You could also use a stability ball, but you would not be able to do the active rest exercise on the ball because you raise your legs off the floor while you're on your back. But that's only 15 seconds, so I don't think you really have to do anything during the rest. After the chest work, one of the background exercisers leads a bonus abs section. This is done on the floor. You can skip this chapter and go to the stretch if you don't want to get on the floor. There are 2 premixes. The cardio intervals premix has all the cardio tracks and is around 34 minutes long. The weight tracks premix has all the strength exercises (including abs) and is 37 minutes long. I hope this answers your questions.

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-17, 08:23 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Dancer View Post
The full workout (65 minutes) consists of cardio intervals alternating with combination strength exercises. You do a set exercises for approximately 45 seconds and then you get a 15-second active rest. This is repeated 4 times and then you move to the next track. So you would do 45 seconds of a cardio followed by 15 seconds of active rest (lower intensity exercise) and then do that 3 more times, repeating the same moves. Then you'd go to the strength moves and follow the same format. Jari says at the beginning that the step is optional and she repeats that throughout the workout when she offers modifications. This will reduce intensity, of course, but the workout is very easy to adapt to the floor. There is no floor work until the end. At 52 minutes into the full workout, she does chest work using the step as a bench. You will have to do that on the floor or a regular weight bench if you don't have a step. You could also use a stability ball, but you would not be able to do the active rest exercise on the ball because you raise your legs off the floor while you're on your back. But that's only 15 seconds, so I don't think you really have to do anything during the rest. After the chest work, one of the background exercisers leads a bonus abs section. This is done on the floor. You can skip this chapter and go to the stretch if you don't want to get on the floor. There are 2 premixes. The cardio intervals premix has all the cardio tracks and is around 34 minutes long. The weight tracks premix has all the strength exercises (including abs) and is 37 minutes long. I hope this answers your questions.

Linda
Awesome! It does and thank you so much. I don't do anything with my back on the floor because it aggravates the area where I had shingles.

A lot of times, workouts go to the floor in the middle and in between and that just leaves me feeling frustrated. This one looks like a good fit for me. Also, since she doesn't go to the floor until 52 minutes in, it gives me a nice long workout.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-17, 08:24 AM  
Diana3271

Now, where is the best price point? Collage Video?

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-17, 11:40 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Dancer View Post

Linda
I know you were answering someone else's question, but thank you for this description and breakdown. I have been dealing with a pinched nerve in my hip and one in my neck, and worsening scoliosis in my low back. I am finally starting to feel much better after almost a year of on and off workouts and this sounded like a nice neat package of cardio and weights.

If I am leaning towards doing the full 65min workout...3x a week, that would not be overkill, would it? (in terms of repetition of moves) I was hoping to start at the new year and try it for a month.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-17, 01:02 PM  
Betty Boop

Let me start by saying that I like Jari Love's workouts, and I think I have just about all of them.

I just finished doing this new one;. I liked it, and will do it again. I realize that I have not been doing enough with weights, so this was good for me. And the music is great.

But I have to mention some observations and concerns.

Jari was originally referring to this as the Boomer workout. Boomer is no longer mentioned; it is the Calorie Crusher. But, IMO, it is definitely targeted toward older exercisers. The tone of her voice is different from her other DVDs. The answer to her "how did you do" is no longer followed by something like "I bet you did great." Instead, her voice is more mellow with a tone of encouragement. I thought it interesting that the final stretch is all standing moves.

At least one of the chapters should have been redone. Exercise #9 is Jack Jump Tuck. At the start she mentions that she will show a modification for the jacks. However, she doesn't show the modification until after the first set. Then she shows the modification but showing the modification already counts as the first part of the next set. I hit the rewind.

The count is done with bell/chime tones. A few times, Jari would say "one more" except there wasn't one more; it was the end of the set. I didn't feel so bad getting messed up with the count, since Jari seemed to also.

I'm not sure that the living room setting was the best idea. There were a limited number of camera angles. During one exercise, all three were doing a slightly different variation, but I wasn't able to see one of the exercisers because my view was blocked by Jari.

At the end Jari thanks the other two women for "taking the time out of their day" to do this. Huh? If they're not getting paid, then they definitely had the final take and setups scheduled, so this doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-21-17, 11:05 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I bought this strictly for the weights premix and knowing I’d only do the upper body exercises. Meh. I thought the exercises were way too fast and I wasn’t a fan of the active rest (or whatever) between sets. If I had no other reason not to ever do this workout again - that regularly dinging bell would be enough.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 12:52 PM  
Betty Boop

Joni - I chuckled when I read your comment about the bell. I don't know why they felt it necessary to use it.

I agree about the exercises being too fast. I hardly had enough time to pick up my weights before they were off and running.

Yesterday I started doing the video again. It does raise my heart rate, and after about 30 minutes, I put it aside -- The phrase that comes to mind is "too pooped to participate."
Old 12-22-17, 04:11 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

this is on my wishlist in case anyone needs to be rid of it.

PM me.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 04:21 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
this is on my wishlist in case anyone needs to be rid of it.

PM me.
Ditto!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 05:53 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I don’t want to do anything hasty (as I usually do), but will be sure to check here if I decide Jari and I need to part.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jari love