Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-09, 09:20 AM  
Inchworm

Those who have Jari's newest workout w/ 2 30 min w/o's is it any good?

I have all of her other ones and like them, however, I definitely find a 30 minute workout more appealing, because I usually like to add on something else like kbells or barre.

Is her new Extreme workout good?

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 08:15 PM  
like2bafit42

I have this and previewed it and I have to say for me, I don't like this workout because it is full of endless squats and lunges. My 48 yr old knees would truly rebel doing this workout. It is going on my trade list as soon as I get thru cataloging the stacks of dvd's I no longer want and getting my wishlist items in order. If you like compound moves with lots of squats and lunges then this would be the workout for you!

Tonyia D.
like2bafit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 10:07 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I'm with you, Tonyia, and I love your signature line.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 10:09 PM  
like2bafit42

Thanks!

Tonyia D.
like2bafit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 05:46 AM  
Sandi S

I love them

I thought the lunges and squats looked endless also and was hoping my 53 year old knees wouldn't complain. But, I tried the workouts and love them. They are longer then 30 minutes if you include the ab section though.

As a matter-of-fact, I liked Extremely Ripped so much that I've traded for the rest of Jari's workouts that I didn't have. I work my legs only when my arms get tired and I love the chest/ab section. The best part - I look forward to working out.

Sandi
Sandi S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 05:55 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Hmmm...I got this DVD and started workout 1 and after 5 min I switched to another DVD, which I rarely do, but the "chemistry" just wasn't there.

I don't like to warm up with weights as it's done in w/o one and, even though I didn't think it would, the dark set distracted me and somehow distorted the picture. I can't even explain it.... I'll give it another chance of course, but I was disappointed at my first experience.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 06:18 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

I've only previewed it, but does Jari's form look "off"? She seems to be just "going through the motions", kind of all over the place. (the background exercisers seem to have way better form and control over their weights!) Being an instructor, you shouldn't be flailing your weights around--if a "newbie" is watching, they may emulate the instructor and get injured.

I got this more for my 18 year old daughter and I hope she has better control of her weights than Jari does in this workout!

Denise
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 08:39 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

I agree with Usia on both the warm-up and dreary set. The warm-up felt rushed & incomplete. I had thought about doing 15 min of cardio before the weight work. As far as the set I liked the industrial feel but there wasn't a need to make it dreary - they could have brightened the set and still kept it industrial. You can't really see the people's faces clearly.

And I would definitely agree with DeniseR on Jari's form. It was off in alot of places and especially in workout #2 she seemed to lose her focus several times.

I did like that Jari seemed more personable and a little silly in the workouts instead of so serious. And I also liked the workouts themselves. There are alot of lunges & squats but it seemed like you were doing them more 1/2 way instead of a full-out squat. Anyone else feel like that?
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 08:56 AM  
mtnmom

I posted my thoughts on another thread, but I'll tell you my experience yesterday morning...

I had notions that I'd do both workouts. I set out about 5 pairs of dumbbells, not knowing what I'd need. I also set up my high step topper on two risers (8"). Next time, I know I'll only need 5lb and 8lb dumbbells (maybe 10lb for the back track) and nix the step.

I usually don't mind squats and lunges, but there are endless pulses. It seemed like every set was more pulses than not. I didn't see any modifications like Krista did in S&L. After the 3rd round of the first workout, I did without the step. I finished the first workout, but my legs were screaming. I really wanted to get a full hour in. I ended up skipping the first couple of rounds of the second workout, as it was more of the same lunge or squat with upper body moves. I did do the round that had tricep work, but did it without the leg movements (more on that below), and did the same with the back track. I completed the workout with the pushup/plank round and the bonus abs. It clocked in at about an hour and I felt everything was worked completely. I may do the same again but skip different chapters to mix things up.

The set and outfits didn't bother me. I liked Jari's personality much more in this one (she actually seems like a fun person to work out with!). But I wonder about the longetivity of hearing the same remarks she makes to her class. Lots of talk to/about the lady with 7 kids. Is Leslie Sansone like this?

Jari's form is off, especially on bicep work. I think she's busy talking to the rest of the room and not concentrating on what she's doing. I know better, so it doesn't bother me - I watch Laurie, who looks incredible. What did bother me about form is on one of the end tracks of workout two. It's a squat/tricep kickback move that glute extensions are added to. Some of the background people are raising their leg so far back, it looks like a lower back injury waiting to happen. Jari keeps her lifts more controlled, thank goodness. My legs were fried by this time, so I only did the tricep work myself - but I tried a couple of glute lifts and the combo was awkward anyway.

I'll keep the workout, but make adjustments and modifications. I'm not as happy with it as I have been with Jari's previous releases. The big plus about ExR is Jari's persona. Nothing sounds scripted. It sounds like you were in a real class with her.
Old 04-17-09, 09:12 AM  
BunnyHop

I've only done the first workout so far, but as others have said, the lunges, squats and pulses seem endless. The main thing that saves it for me, is that it's all done in relatively short sections, say repeating something seven times, then seven more times, etc. If it were all done as one giant torture session, with no attempt to break things down into shorter segments, it would seem a lot more endless, LOL!

It seems as though Jari's the only one with a microphone, so I can't hear the rest of the chit chat, so at least it's minimized in that way.
(IMO, Leslie's much more chatty)

Maybe I'm in better shape than I realized, because I don't have any sort of DOMS today. (Whew.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jari love