Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-19, 11:13 AM  
Lannette

MsThistlebottom, Joan! I owe you an apology. I just reread my post to you. What I should have said was; “It wasn’t your tone, it wasn’t really you. Your post for whatever reason just got me blabbing.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 11:15 AM  
pcdoctor01

I’m not upset either. I like DVDs or whatever physical media because it’s tangible. If the streaming site goes bust or if I decide to not renew the subscription anymore, I can use the DVD or streamed downloads offline. If streamed downloads are available in a non-proprietary HD format I’m happy. Check this out. Are you old school if you like streamed downloads and save them to flash drive, etc. or some other medium to use them offline instead of them being controlled by the subscription company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
I’m honestly not upset by the move from DVDs to streaming. In a few years people will be bemoaning the passing of streaming for the next new thing, or maybe there will be a pill for exercise.

I just want to be allowed to enjoy my DVDs and talk to other like minded adults about said DVDs without being reminded that I better accept streaming or worse yet being shamed for not being progressive, minimalistic enough or heaven forbid less than green. That’s what irritates me. Honestly, I’m adult, an old one and you really don’t need to constantly point out the errors of my ways.

It’s funny. This site is called Video Fitness and it’s becoming taboo to talk about actual videos!
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 11:16 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I still use my dvds and although I haven't bought any for a long time, contemplate a couple purchases.

What does give me pause is the possibility of any of the streaming sites pulling the plug. I would be very said, indeed.

I can see feeling a little resistance to change regarding dvds. We stream music at our house and haven't played a CD in ages; if we watch a video it's Netflix or Amazon. I do understand wanting access to a workout program multiple times. My goodness the number of times I've done Ellen's Quick Tone, etc...like I said I would be upset if it did disappear.

My dh and ds2, who work as engineers in technical fields, assure me this is unlikely.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 11:23 AM  
pcdoctor01

Kinda in the same topic. I used to watch Asian soap operas on https://dramafever.com. The site went bust. Ultraviolet went bust. https://www.myuv.com. You could watch the digital version of DVDs or Blu-rays that you purchased. I guess having a digital library of your favorite movies controlled by a company is like rolling the dice. You never know when they are going to be sold or go bust.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 11:34 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
MsThistlebottom, Joan! I owe you an apology. I just reread my post to you. What I should have said was; “It wasn’t your tone, it wasn’t really you. Your post for whatever reason just got me blabbing.
No apology required, Lannette. But I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I think this is a great topic, and it relates to so many other things I see going on. I live and work in a large metro area, for instance, and parking downtown is disappearing. The trend is definitely moving toward living downtown ($$$) and biking or taking Uber or public transportation to work--all impractical options for me. I'm very glad to be retiring soon. Even though I'm "old," I have a lot of vitality left (and hopefully many years), but I'm starting to feel quite obsolete in this rapidly changing world.

I could rant on, but I don't want to derail the original topic.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 11:46 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
I live and work in a large metro area, for instance, and parking downtown is disappearing. The trend is definitely moving toward living downtown ($$$) and biking or taking Uber or public transportation to work--all impractical options for me.
This is exactly what ds2 wants to do, Joan. He is saving his money to live in downtown Minneapolis and doesn't want to purchase a car. He's driving and commuting in one of our cars....he hates the traffic right now. And yeah, parking is challenging.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 11:49 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I guess I'm old school, but I generally prefer something in my hand.
Streaming is nice, and i do stream some stuff, but if the internet is out, I can't stream. But I can still use a dvd in my collection.

And if the company goes under, no longer able to stream that workout. But I can still use a dvd in my collection.

I'm old I guess.
If you're old, I'm old right there with you because I completely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
This.^^ My kids and stepkids are millennials, and they think it's quaint that we still own DVDs, CDs, and photo albums. Young people want convenience, speed, and simplicity. As a rule, they'd rather rent than own. They grew up with digital media and are very comfortable with it. I get why people are upset (hey, I'm 65 and still remember eight-track tapes!), but like it or not, DVDs will soon become rare as VHS. It's a brand-new world.
Quote:
I’m honestly not upset by the move from DVDs to streaming. In a few years people will be bemoaning the passing of streaming for the next new thing, or maybe there will be a pill for exercise.

I just want to be allowed to enjoy my DVDs and talk to other like minded adults about said DVDs without being reminded that I better accept streaming or worse yet being shamed for not being progressive, minimalistic enough or heaven forbid less than green. That’s what irritates me. Honestly, I’m adult, an old one and you really don’t need to constantly point out the errors of my ways.

It’s funny. This site is called Video Fitness and it’s becoming taboo to talk about actual videos!
YES! Heck, in my past, I moved so many times I became very minimalistic before streaming was even really a thing. I'm in a different phase of life now, and I have a place to put my DVDs so now I want to enjoy them without shame or feeling like I'm some sort of dinosaur, and yes, I'll keep buying them! Besides, our internet connection isn't reliable in some parts of our old house, so while I enjoy some streaming, more often than not it's a frustrating experience and I end up popping in a DVD anyway when I can't finish the workout due to connectivity issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
To me, age, resistance to new technology, etc. has nothing to do with this. I just don't care for the business model. I wouldn't mind streaming so much if I only had to pay one price to access what I want in perpetuity. For example, some years ago I purchased an online workout series called Rippedism. I believe I paid $20 or so to access this workout 'forever'. I haven't used it in years, so I just checked and I still have access. That kind of model is ok with me because I paid a one time price and it's almost like owning the DVD. With the subscription model, you have to keep paying every month in order to retain your access, so you're really paying over and over for the same content. I know a lot of these services add new content all the time, so if you are someone who likes a ton of variety, then maybe that works for you, but I am not that way. I tend to stick with the same 3 or 4 instructors so I'd end up paying for a lot of other stuff I'd never use.

Unfortunately, if people continue to support the subscription model then this will never end, but I'll still be buying DVDs as long as I can and supporting folks who have other ways to access, like the Rippedism guys and Jessica Smith.
Again, YES! I so agree!

Tytbody, thank you for starting this thread!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 11:50 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Our satellite internet is lousy for streaming. I like it if I can download the workouts on to my iPad to use whenever. (I mentioned in another thread that I'd had over 30 workouts downloaded from BOD and an update deleted them all. Nobody can delete my DVDs!)

I'm more concerned that one day DVD players will be hard to find. I'm a movie nut and have an embarrassing amount of films on DVD. I want to be able to watch them for the rest of my life. DVDs/Blu-rays/4K discs also have extras and specials about the films that are rarely available for streaming. Streaming workouts don't have the pre-mix options as far as I know.

So, if I get the sudden urge to watch "Forbidden Planet" (1956), (one of the few films with a lead character named "Alta"), I just pop it in the player and go. That is way more instant than streaming at our house.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 12:01 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Check this out. Are you old school if you like streamed downloads and save them to flash drive, etc. or some other medium to use them offline instead of them being controlled by the subscription company?
I didn’t know that this was possible other than downloads.

Quote:
What does give me pause is the possibility of any of the streaming sites pulling the plug. I would be very said, indeed.
Jackie, I know of a few cases where it’s already happened.

Quote:
My dh and ds2, who work as engineers in technical fields, assure me this is unlikely.
I don’t believe streaming will totally go but it will morph - much like the move from VHS to DVD. I just hope that fitness doesn’t fall into some crack along the way.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 12:01 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
This is exactly what ds2 wants to do, Joan. He is saving his money to live in downtown Minneapolis and doesn't want to purchase a car. He's driving and commuting in one of our cars....he hates the traffic right now. And yeah, parking is challenging.
Good luck to your son, Jackie. Living downtown is so expensive. But then, maybe it's doable if you don't have to worry about car expense. When I look at the rents downtown, I'm reminded that I probably chose the wrong profession.

I have parking now, but it's closing this fall for ramp construction. Then my choices will be to have DH drive me or park at interim parking in a sketchy part of town and walk or take a shuttle to work. The thought of walking around a dark parking ramp in the dead of winter doesn't exactly fill me with joy. Fortunately, DH has offered to drive whenever he's available, and I'll be working from home two days a week.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, streaming