Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-19, 12:37 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Lightbulb Considerations about subscriptions?

It seems that the world is going the way of subscriptions, not just streaming exercise sites, but all kinds of things online and even in the real world.
  • How do you decide what is worth paying something every month and what is not?
  • How much is too much (to pay)?
  • Do you pay monthly or go for prices breaks with yearly subscriptions?
  • What types of things do you enjoy involving yourself in?
  • What keeps you in a plan? How do you know when to cancel?

And, I'm sure there are other questions.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 12:50 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

OK. I'll answer my own questions:

How do you decide what is worth paying something every month and what is not? If it is something I will use regularly, I will consider it. I also need to be able to figure out what I will get out of it for it to seem worth it. That can mean that I will have a plan for how I will use the site and have a way of committing to it.

How much is too much (to pay)? I have signed up for some sites that have been as high as $20 - $30 a month. They haven't been exercise sites, but sites off which I could take classes on fitness/health topics from a Christian perspective. I guess if it is specialized content I can see the value in and that is put out by an individual I feel has my best interests at heart, I'm more likely to subscribe than with a generic site by a big company. I still prefer paying for content on a one-shot deal rather than an ongoing basis. And free is always best!

Do you pay monthly or go for prices breaks with yearly subscriptions? I usually start out by paying a month to see how it goes and if I'm actually going to use it and then go for the price break once I've proven it's worth it.

What types of things do you enjoy involving yourself in?

I've subscribed to both Cathy Morenzie's Weight Loss God's Way and Faithful Workouts. I followed both for awhile and then moved on.

I do creative journaling type activities and have enjoyed the Reset Girl community. I've done her summer camp twice. I think she's going to come out with a subscription and that I probably would do. She tries to keep prices as low as possible and that's nice.

I've seen physical boxes that small companies send out for journalers and have considered that. But, I like to buy the stuff I want for my stash and that doesn't feel like enough control for me. I'd probably buy less and save money if I did this, but not sure it's good for me.

In reading VF, I've considered a lot of streaming exercise options, but for now I'm going to the gym. If I ever get back to exercising at home, I'll likely try to do my DVDs. If I did a streaming exercise site, it would probably be KCM's site as she's one of my 1-3 favorite instructors.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 08:53 AM  
dmlarue1

How do you decide if it's worth paying for?
It has to be something I like enough to be doing multiple times a week. I have to feel like I am getting my money's worth

How much is too much?
20.00 is really my limit. I would like to try barre 3 but it is over my limit

Monthly or yearly?
I usually like monthly as I can cancel anytime. I did do yearly to the balanced life because it w as cheaper

How do you know when yo cancel?
For me I try to be frugal so if i am not using something enough i cancel. That being said i have been a balanced life member for 2 years because i use it
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 09:06 AM  
bubbles76

How do you decide what is worth paying something every month and what is not?

As for exercising, I haven't found anything that is worth paying for every month . There are so many free options on youtube with instructors I like that I have not felt the need to subscribe. Plus, I have a huge collection, and still buying. If I were to subscribe it would have to be with a site that had multiple instructors that I liked, multiple workout types (pilates, barre, heavy weights, cardio, etc.), who offered workout rotations for a reasonable price.

Non exercise related, my friend gave me a six month Sipsby subscription. I received my first box, and the teas are lovely! It's nice receiving teas from all over. I am considering continuing the subscription, but we'll see. I buy a lot of tea anyway, but don't get a chance to get out to try every tea brand, or to frequent tea shops as much as I used to. So this is a nice way to try different teas.

How much is too much (to pay)?

If I wasn't still buying dvds, I would say $20 a month is my limit.

Do you pay monthly or go for prices breaks with yearly subscriptions?

Monthly, I want to be able to get out of it if I can.

What types of things do you enjoy involving yourself in?

Still trying to figure that out . When I had more time, I has involved in Toastmasters, tea rooms, and belly dance. I also volunteered. All that seems to have taken a back seat to my job and Tiny Bubble.

What keeps you in a plan? How do you know when to cancel?

If I'm still getting a use out of it and the price doesn't keep going up exponentially.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 09:08 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Bottom line for me is I have to love the site and use it. I also want to keep my total monthly subscriptions to less than what dh pays for a gym membership.

Costs....definitely under $20/month. I guess if I really loved a site, and knew I'd use it daily I'd consider paying more...maybe.

I like when a site I love offers a discount on annual subscriptions. But if I'm just trying it out, I don't want that committment!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 08:23 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
How much is too much?
20.00 is really my limit. I would like to try barre 3 but it is over my limit
Barre3 has a $20/month option. Do the free trial, then try to cancel. They will offer you a deal for the workouts only option (the full site has other features--recipes, workout plans, reminders.) If you are ok with just having access to the workouts, you can get them for $20/month!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 08:30 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I typically never pay full price for anything, so I wait for sales on streaming sites that interest me. I recently got 30% off a year of barre3, and I must say, I'm loving it. I paid for the year up front, which I prefer to paying monthly. There are some months I don't get as much use out of streaming and if I'm paying montly, I feel stressed out because I'm not getting my money's worth and that sucks the joy out of working out!

I subscribed to Physique 57 for a quite a while and I really enjoyed that. I got a screaming deal on the subscription, but the deal expired and over time, I wasn't using it as much. I just had too much going on and some of the workouts were just too hard for me. What I'm loving about barre3 is that the workouts are 'just right' for me at this time of my life, there are so many options and I feel like the site is just really well done.

I really resisted streaming for a long time. I don't like recurring monthly charges and Lord knows, I have enough DVDs to keep me busy for a very long time! But my barre3 subscription came at just the right time for me and I'm so thankful for it. It has rekindled my love of exercise and makes it really easy for me to stay active. For me, right now, it's totally worth it.
Old 07-29-19, 09:32 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Barre3 has a $20/month option. Do the free trial, then try to cancel. They will offer you a deal for the workouts only option (the full site has other features--recipes, workout plans, reminders.) If you are ok with just having access to the workouts, you can get them for $20/month!
Would this work if you had subscribed to the site before and not renewed your subscription? Meaning, is this only offered to those who have never subscribed before? I like their workouts, but this is the one site that I feel is ridiculously overpriced for what they offer.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 05:49 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
Would this work if you had subscribed to the site before and not renewed your subscription? Meaning, is this only offered to those who have never subscribed before? I like their workouts, but this is the one site that I feel is ridiculously overpriced for what they offer.
mmmm, don't know.

I agree that it's overpriced, but I do think they offer a lot--many, many workouts, recipes, workout plans... they'll even text you a reminder to workout! But I agree that $30/month is too high. Even for all that. Generally, I try to avoid paying full price for anything.
Old 07-27-19, 12:23 PM  
marki64

What Bubbles said. So much free quality workouts on YT, I wouldn't feel the need to pay. I am overwhelmed by the choices on You Tube. I like the variety of different instructors and different workouts. My playlists are getting too long. No time to do it all.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
streaming, subscription, subscriptions