Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-16, 11:55 AM  
desie

I think you have to go with self love and embrace your shape. The body has to store fat somewhere, just be glad it doesn't go to other places that you are vain about. I can drop my body fat to get my inner thighs to be smaller, but my chest and face also lose fat at that low level, and I actually feel more beautiful with the higher body fat.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 12:17 PM  
Aurora C.

I already walk 3 hours a day, 90 minutes AM & PM with my dog. As much as I love walking there's no place left in the schedule to do more and it's not been all that effective at thinning my legs, though they are strong & sturdy! I recall giving various barre workouts a try and my quads getting even bigger...I recall P57 putting particularly high stress on my psoas so I stopped. I used to do Callsnetics with my Mom as a kid, I'd like to try the new ones, which do y'all recommend?...I prefer DVDs that are well chaptered if at all possible so I can tack on an extra 10-30 minutes without having my whole workout be a Callanetics routine.

Similarly with Tonique. I have the mat/floor work disc, which I like since its divided into 3 segments I can easily tack on after a lower body routine 3 times a week. I'm in better shape now than the last time I tried another Tonique, though I don't recall which one, only that it had too many lunges that hurt my knees & hip flexors and seemed to go on forever...so painful and boring was not my cup of tea. I'm eager to hear what recommendations y'all may have about which Toniques would best suit me!

I'm also going to revisit Essentrics/CS, I had good results leaning out my arms & waist in the past with those, but I'd like recs on which of those would be best for succinct add-ons to lean the legs but not the hips or glutes?

And Bubbles, thank you for the link to that thread that didn't turn up in my own search! That was super helpful and can't wait to take a closer look!

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
Aurora C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 12:23 PM  
Aurora C.

Desie, thank you. Please don't misunderstand, I'm huge on self love! I totally embrace my shape & I approach fitness like an artist sculpting a masterpiece not beating my body into submission - not that this was always the case and there is a HUGE difference. I am a lifelong learner and fitness fanatic because I LOVE it not due to some imagined deficiency.
Old 08-25-16, 12:29 PM  
Aurora C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I've tried exploring Essentrics/Classical Stretch and the amount of workouts on their site overwhelms me a bit. Are these workouts just stretching? More barre type? Is there a cardio effect? I can't seem to get a handle about what these workouts are all about and how is it they lean the legs. Thanks for any clarification!
Yes! Thank you, this is something I'm wondering too!
Old 08-25-16, 12:32 PM  
Aurora C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I initially started them for the stretching benefits, which I really needed in my mid-40s, and then realized how the toning benefits went right along with the stretching benefits. By lengthening out the muscle at a long lever, it's strengthened. I gain muscle very quickly with traditional workouts, but these workouts lean out my muscles instead of bulking them. Some are labeled as barre, but that mostly means putting your leg up on a barre, or chair, for stretching. Some have a definite cardio effect, some are more toning, some are more deep stretching. I have done them for two years now, so it just takes watching and doing them consistently to find the ones that you like and that work for you. Within two weeks of starting every other day CS/Ess, I could see my legs looked noticeably different and my posture is completely different now than it used to be. I even grew a half inch in two years! Hope that helps!
Lori, I bulk easily too, which are your favorites that you seem to get the most use out of and results from?
Old 08-25-16, 12:53 PM  
donnamp

I think any of the CS/Essentrics that has a lot of floor work would be good for toning w/ out bulking. Since CS/Essentrics does not use weights I don't think the standing work would be too bulking, either.

Most of the workouts have a mix of standing, barre and floorwork. Seasons 11 and 10 specify if it is standing, barre or floor or a combo.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 01:20 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora C. View Post
Lori, I bulk easily too, which are your favorites that you seem to get the most use out of and results from?
I do mostly Sahra's workouts for toning, but I also really enjoy Miranda's floor work for the thighs. They are deceptive!
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 01:36 PM  
Cowgirl32

I've actually seen great results from alternating traditional weight training weeks with barre/pilates the next week. YMMV!
Old 08-25-16, 01:37 PM  
Scorpio6

Jane Fonda Workout Challenge floor work

Oldie but goodie -- I highly recommend JF's floor work from the workout challenge video. That was Gilda Marx's advanced class that was put together by Leni Cazden, and it's what got Jane F in shape in her 40's for the swimsuit scene in "Golden Pond." It's all bodyweight calisthenics, no ankle weights are used although you could if you want. If anyone is interested, I have a spreadsheet of those floorwork exercises.

Also, Jane F got her entire workout and workout style in the early years from Gilda Marx, who wrote a book Body by Design (I think that's the name). the book has a 4-week progression of calisthenics.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 01:40 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora C. View Post
II tried another Tonique, though I don't recall which one, only that it had too many lunges that hurt my knees & hip flexors and seemed to go on forever...so painful and boring was not my cup of tea.
Oh it must have been Premier lol!

Maybe it would help to know what you consider bulking? It seems you've tried lots of activities that many wouldn't consider causing bulking. At least, from the threads I've read many wouldn't consider them bulking. I haven't tried TA or Essentrics or most barre or pilates, and only stayed on the fringes of Tonique and one CS dvd. Do you want to be strong in your legs but very slender without any noticeable definition? I had someone explain it to me recently as "someone who only does pilates or yoga". Obviously strong because they can hold those poses, just no noticeable definition in the legs.

If I'm way off base, I'd like to recommend Cathe's Xtrain or Weider X-Factor ST. Xtrain gave me great definition and hardened my legs. Got rid of cellulite in some places too. I think it was all the plyo. However, I wasn't "bulky". I'm actually going for the bulkier look, but I'll take whatever definition I can get. And Weider made my legs and abs very hard, although I didn't finish the whole rotation.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
debulking, inner thighs, leaning out, overdeveloped quads, sculpting, season 11, thigh slimming, thighs