Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-16, 11:22 AM  
Sara1000

Substitutions for hated moves?

I really hate supermans, but as hard as they are for me, I can tell they are beneficial. I like planks, but are they as effective? What else can I do instead of supermans, or do I really need them?

Please post your most hated move and if you have found a good substitution, what is it? Or maybe someone else would kindly suggest a substitution

I though this might be fun and informative
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 11:27 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I really hate supermans, but as hard as they are for me, I can tell they are beneficial. I like planks, but are they as effective? What else can I do instead of supermans, or do I really need them?

Please post your most hated move and if you have found a good substitution, what is it? Or maybe someone else would kindly suggest a substitution
Supermans are back extensions, right? Do you like doing back extensions over a swiss ball? You could sub that. Or what about bird dogs?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!

Last edited by KarenP; 05-30-16 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added links
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 11:34 AM  
Leonana

I do bird dogs. I read somewhere that Supermans were back for your back. I'm not sure if that is true, but I decided to sub bird dogs.

ETA: I just googled. Here's an article from Livestrong.

Quote:
If you're looking to strengthen your lower back, glutes and hamstrings, replace the prone superman with deadlifts, good mornings, back squats, Roman chair back extensions, ball leg curls and machine leg curls.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...ing-your-back/
Old 05-30-16, 12:31 PM  
susand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post

I though this might be fun and informative
great thread! i dislike 'low end' moves. hoping any suggestions?
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 01:09 PM  
Stephanie_B

I hate front lunges, they hurt. So I will do a back lunge or I can't do a front lunge with the moving leg landing on a 4-6" step.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 01:12 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I dislike burpees because I have shoulder problems and can't do them well enough to be effective, so now I do them using a chair. I learned that trick from Jessica Smith and it really helps.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 01:38 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I dislike burpees because I have shoulder problems and can't do them well enough to be effective, so now I do them using a chair. I learned that trick from Jessica Smith and it really helps.
I use my step with no risers. It lifts me up just enough to not have as much impact.

If I'm doing KBKX Body Series and am done with burpees, I'll take her move and eliminate the actually burpee - sometimes it's jump switch with a kick or punch, or jump squats. I will also do squat falls (Shaunt T does these - you are in a squat, lean forward while in the squat until your hands touch the floor and push back into a squat - it gives you a lot of the same benefits of burpees without the impact). It really depends on what I feel like doing.

For Plyo Lunges - I will do more of a lunge back with a little skip as I change legs.
Old 05-30-16, 01:55 PM  
Arielle96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_B View Post
I hate front lunges, they hurt. So I will do a back lunge or I can't do a front lunge with the moving leg landing on a 4-6" step.
I was going to post the exact same thing!! I feel backwards lunges way more because I can go so much deeper into the move. I can also put more weight onto the front heel going backwards.
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 02:12 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Supermans are back extensions, right? Do you like doing back extensions over a swiss ball? You could sub that. Or what about bird dogs?
These are great! Leslie does the bird dog in several of her abs/back bonus exercises but I like the tips given in this video for proper alignment.

The back extensions on the ball are in some Cathe workouts as I recall. Thanks!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 02:22 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I use my step with no risers. It lifts me up just enough to not have as much impact.

If I'm doing KBKX Body Series and am done with burpees, I'll take her move and eliminate the actually burpee - sometimes it's jump switch with a kick or punch, or jump squats. I will also do squat falls (Shaunt T does these - you are in a squat, lean forward while in the squat until your hands touch the floor and push back into a squat - it gives you a lot of the same benefits of burpees without the impact). It really depends on what I feel like doing.
I'd never heard of a squat fall, but that's definitely something I'll try. Thanks!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications, substitution