Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-15, 11:55 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
Do you ever overcome the dread factor with workouts you really wanted to like?

Yes.

In my younger years, I hated Pilates and floor work. Pilates is now my bread and butter, my salt and pepper. I chalk it up to getting older. I also think that a steady diet of Tracie Long workouts a while back was a gateway drug: You can clearly see the influence of Pilates in a lot of her work.

So . . . maybe you hold onto CS a little longer? Your tastes may change. Maybe you find a CS-like workout that you enjoy, and buoyed by your success, you move back into CS? Or maybe you figure out what you like about CS -- the feeling afterwards -- and find something else that fits the bill?

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Yeah, PJ O'Clair (from Zen*ga power and strength, and Kathy Smith (segment from Total Body Turnaround) ... there HAD developed a MAJOR dread factor for a hard workout that no longer did anything for me healthwise, so those two: yoga-close but no cigar ... I kept returning to yoga after that despite being DELIRIOUSLY happy with having left ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 11:59 AM  
TinierTina

Duplicate post.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 08-12-15, 12:53 PM  
faith458

Jane P and Aunt Famous, what are the Pilates workouts you like? I did one yesterday, but I have serious dread about doing that one again.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 01:46 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I like Classical Pilates and Hilary Burnett workouts. Both of these are old, but they are Pilates workouts as designed by Joe himself so that's why I stick to them. Karen Getz has a Pilates style core workout on her X-train Fit dvd that I also like.
Old 08-12-15, 01:57 PM  
Kitten

Yeah, I just don't do them. Why would you? My take on exercise is find something you love & then there's no problem sticking to it.

I was a fan of fusiony workouts for years & now I barely look at them because I wanna lift all the heavy things! I keep them around because ya never know. Same with discovering I now like kickboxing.

There are even some instructors I won't buy, no matter how good the workout looks. I never "clicked," with them.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 02:30 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Yeah, I just don't do them. Why would you? My take on exercise is find something you love & then there's no problem sticking to it.

I was a fan of fusiony workouts for years & now I barely look at them because I wanna lift all the heavy things! .
In the category of "lifting heavy things" I would include sheer bodyweight ... vertically either upside down or rightside up. Not just barbells/dumbbells ...

Of course, I do not (try to even) go that road anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
There are even some instructors I won't buy, no matter how good the workout looks. I never "clicked," with them.
I know that. Instructor personality counts for plenty with me, in most cases.

-Bettina

Old 08-12-15, 04:08 PM  
horsemom2

Avoiding Dread is my magic bullet.

To totally avoid any dread factor, I edit most of my workouts, removing any moves I know I would want to skip and adding music that I know will keep me wanting to move.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 04:51 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
is it the length of the workout? would doing a shorter CS be more appealing? could you try another CS workout? or maybe do one led by Sahra?

p.s. i could not get into miranda. i joni-o'd it. i happily traded it away. i liked sahra, though. i like her barre workout. also sahra's class of 2012.

in another experience, i traded away a KCM workout - 30MTF bootcamp. wanted so much to like that first KCM. just couldn't. a few years later, however, i found her NYC at a book sale, and wow, i really like that workout.
For some reason, I dread the short CS workouts even more than the long ones! Go figure...

Along with Gurmukh's Kundalini Yoga (the Gaiam one), Full Body Workout/Athletes Intense Stretch have the best production values of any workout I own. The crashing ocean waves in FBW do help me get into the flow of the workout (at least to some degree), and I so look forward to the tabby cat's arrival in AIS.

(Aside: I wish instructors would always include animals in their workouts. Animals add a much-needed "grace note" of fun and playfulness. They're inspiring, too--especially in stretch/yoga workouts. Demeris--remember Buddy in TappCore?)

I've generally dismissed workouts that had a dread factor, but CS is different. I can tell that it does me good. I think my body craves it, even though my spirit would rather be doing kundalini yoga. I guess it's like some food that you eat (Brewer's Yeast, for example) because it makes you feel healthy and strong, even though you're not crazy about the flavor.

Cybersparkle, those are great ideas! I think I actually could break the workouts I have into segments. (They're not chaptered, unfortunately, but it wouldn't be that difficult.)
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 09:18 PM  
faith458

Jane P. thank you for the recommendations. I have been taking Pilates reformer classes for the last 5 weeks. There is no dread factor!

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 09:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
I've generally dismissed workouts that had a dread factor, but CS is different.
Miranda is such that you could probably mute her, put on your own music, and follow along with her moves.

for me, with Miranda, I just didn't like her voice and style, and the ocean looked so grey. I live in Hawaii, and I want my oceans to be BLUE!

as far as the moves, I can get the joy from doing maybe Yoga Booty Ballet or other dance videos that I own (Kari, for example) that have good instruction and a higher fun factor.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dread factor