Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-15, 02:53 PM  
marya

The Dread Factor

First, I want to thank everyone who responded to my recent thread about hip joint rotation issues. Classical Stretch was recommended so often, I decided to dust off Full Body Workout/Athletes Intense Stretch. I absolutely love the background of these workouts--the beach with rolling waves in the first, and the porch with its resident cat in the second.

I did Full Body Workout yesterday, and even though I was only partly awake and my efforts were half-a---d at best, I noticed significant improvement. In fact, my whole body felt so much better!

The thing is, I have a deep dread factor where CS is concerned, and I don't understand why. Given my body type--think Mary Helen Bowers with a few extra pounds -- I should take to it like a fish to water, but I just don't enjoy it. Yet. I intend to persevere with CS because of its effectiveness. I'll alternate it with workouts that are fun for me (kundalini yoga; belly dance), and hopefully the day will come when I can include CS in my "fun" category.

I'd be very interested in other VFers' experiences with The Dread Factor--especially if you've successfully overcome it re workouts you really wanted to like.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 03:01 PM  
PhyllisG

I long ago gave up workouts that had a dread factor. Life is too short. There are too many other workouts that I enjoy.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 03:16 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Sometimes I just push through the dread factor, and sometimes I give in to it and do other workouts. If I had my way I'd probably do nothing but Pilates with a few upper body weights thrown in and my body needs more than that.

I suppose it's always better to do something.
Old 08-11-15, 10:48 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Sometimes I just push through the dread factor, and sometimes I give in to it and do other workouts. If I had my way I'd probably do nothing but Pilates with a few upper body weights thrown in and my body needs more than that.

I suppose it's always better to do something.
Jane, I know what you mean--I'd probably do nothing but kundalini yoga, yet I'm also feeling--my body needs more. Pilates--hmmm. I remember, I once had a dread factor re Pilates, and I DID overcome or outgrow it! I don't do Pilates often, but now when I do, I enjoy it.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 11:16 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I long ago gave up workouts that had a dread factor. Life is too short. There are too many other workouts that I enjoy.
Absolutely agree. I might throw in a tough dread induced workout every now and then but not all the time. A lot of those workouts collect dust. If I'm going to consistently workout, I need something to look forward to.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 11:54 PM  
Cybersparkle

For workouts/methods that I dread I have a few approaches

1) I can only do about 5 to 15 minutes at a time. For me, barre is super effective, but I just dread it. Say, I do one of my faves for 45 min. Then, the last 15 min, I'll pop in a barre dvd segment to round out the hour.

2) If I can not even stand to put in a dvd, I memorize the moves of the method I dread. Then, while a fav workout is playing, I'll do the memorized reps for a few minutes. Usually as the credits roll for warm-up or cool down.

3) I'll just play some music I really love & do 5 to 15 min of the dread method.

4)If you have some new dvds or virgins you want to preview, but still get some exercise in, do the dreaded workout moves while you are previewing.

And I psyche myself out. There are say 5 barre moves that work for me but I dread. So, I just say, "Ok, I can give myself less than 1 minute" I do 10 reps of every move, so that is like 50 seconds. More doable right?

HTH

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 12:16 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
For workouts/methods that I dread I have a few approaches

---
---

3) I'll just play some music I really love & do 5 to 15 min of the dread method.

---

And I psyche myself out. There are say 5 barre moves that work for me but I dread. So, I just say, "Ok, I can give myself less than 1 minute" I do 10 reps of every move, so that is like 50 seconds. More doable right?

HTH
I dread everything except 5 Rhythms (freeform dance) practice and occasional outdoor walks. Oh, used to be yoga (rather slow, mild, low-impact/low shazam factor kind with much floor postures). Would need to do 10 hours a week total of any of those for current needs, and I've bad feet and knees, so in such quantities, they are a no-go.

Yep, I do not do them more frequently, since my compromised physiology demands everything BUT 5 Rhythms practice and there are steep hills that slow me down for the outdoor walks ... so I throw freeform (cardio) dance (itself, not in the 5 Rhythms template) into HiiT music, into Intensati practice, into other things.

Yeah, I could have figured out to make my 5 Rhythms practice read like Shaun T or somebody of that hip hop nature ... but, you know what?
There are times I can't think so straight any more. And you really have to change your rhythms in that modality—life itself is not all the staccato rhythm—not even here in NYC - otherwise you wouldn't see those 3 pm slump crowds at Starbucks. Workouts don't feel to me like LIFE itself, period! Energy wastage implied by something that feels "not natural", though, is still a part of living. ...

Which leads me to my next point. With not too much taste or budget for programmed workout variety, I stick to tried-and-true, old-school. But, the real thing, that must be downmodified for the lower body; upmodified for the upper body.

Telling myself I will just do the first 10 minutes. 99% of the time, I do far beyond 10 minutes.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 02:29 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

is it the length of the workout? would doing a shorter CS be more appealing? could you try another CS workout? or maybe do one led by Sahra?

p.s. i could not get into miranda. i joni-o'd it. i happily traded it away. i liked sahra, though. i like her barre workout. also sahra's class of 2012.

in another experience, i traded away a KCM workout - 30MTF bootcamp. wanted so much to like that first KCM. just couldn't. a few years later, however, i found her NYC at a book sale, and wow, i really like that workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 06:33 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
is it the length of the workout? would doing a shorter CS be more appealing? could you try another CS workout? or maybe do one led by Sahra?
This was my question. Do you have that same dread for one of the episodes or for her shorter youtube/vimeo samples?
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 11:47 AM  
Aunt Famous

Do you ever overcome the dread factor with workouts you really wanted to like?

Yes.

In my younger years, I hated Pilates and floor work. Pilates is now my bread and butter, my salt and pepper. I chalk it up to getting older. I also think that a steady diet of Tracie Long workouts a while back was a gateway drug: You can clearly see the influence of Pilates in a lot of her work.

So . . . maybe you hold onto CS a little longer? Your tastes may change. Maybe you find a CS-like workout that you enjoy, and buoyed by your success, you move back into CS? Or maybe you figure out what you like about CS -- the feeling afterwards -- and find something else that fits the bill?

If it's any consolation, I tried Essentrics, thinking that I should love it, and I didn't. I've never looked back.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dread factor