Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-14, 06:28 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I am so extremely picky and careful before I purchase a workout, that I already know I'm going to like it. Therefore, I don't own any workouts that have a dread factor.

However, if I did own a workout that had a dread factor, it would be something with a lot of choreography in it, like Christie Taylor for instance. I dread those kind of workouts because the learning curve is so steep for me I never get anything out of them. I get frustrated trying to learn the steps, and mad at myself that I'm wasting my workout time stumbling around doing nothing.
Old 12-17-14, 08:08 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Cathe and Tracy Anderson. Can't do either. Just one or two minutes in and I'm done.

I used to do V-Core on a regular basis. I don't think I can anymore, though. Dr. Emily makes me nuts.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 08:29 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I seem to dread any workout that has, what is to me, endless repetition of something, whether is be cardio or toning moves.

Ugh. I've realized that I do best with workouts that flow from one move to another without overdoing any one thing.
I agree with this. If a workout has what I perceive to be reps ad nauseam, then I am almost sure to Joni'O it. I also do not like too much of TIFT.
There are various reasons why I may dread a workout on any particular day. I tend not to do "dread workouts." I may dread a workout a particular day because of how I am feeling and then can do it on another day with no problem. If I am dreading a workout for whatever reason I sub another workout. My workout time is my "me" time and thus I want it to be enjoyable.
Some workouts I instinctively know that I will never do again and very quickly get rid of them.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 09:53 AM  
rose2boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I agree with this. If a workout has what I perceive to be reps ad nauseam, then I am almost sure to Joni'O it. I also do not like too much of TIFT.
There are various reasons why I may dread a workout on any particular day. I tend not to do "dread workouts." I may dread a workout a particular day because of how I am feeling and then can do it on another day with no problem. If I am dreading a workout for whatever reason I sub another workout. My workout time is my "me" time and thus I want it to be enjoyable.
Some workouts I instinctively know that I will never do again and very quickly get rid of them.
I agree with both of you! Repetition is just a killer for me -- plus anything w/too much floorwork. Ugh!
Old 12-17-14, 11:03 AM  
horsemom2

No dread here.
I edit to remove moves I do not like and replace soundtracks with music I love.
(doubt there is a workout out there that would be as perfect for me)

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 11:45 AM  
Indy

It is anything that is too long. And right now, for me, that is anything that is an hour or more. I just look at the time and move on if it isn't short enough. This is a recent development for me whose philosophy up to this point was if it wasn't an hour then I couldn't have possibly gotten a good workout.

I have discovered that I have a low tolerance to anything I consider boring and it seems that if it isn't steeped in complicated choreography (doable. not frustrating) then its too boring. But it is rare for me to even attempt a dread inducing workout.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 12:38 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post

I used to do V-Core on a regular basis. I don't think I can anymore, though. Dr. Emily makes me nuts.
She'd be fine if she had some grammar and elocution instruction.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 04:28 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm finding my dread factor changing as I'm getting older: in my 20's, the dread factor was low impact, low weights; in my 30's, the dread factor was pilates, yoga, and stretching. Now, in my 40's, that's all I want to do -- low impact, low weights, pilates, yoga, and stretching! Ah, such is life.

My current dread factor is: repetition, high impact, TIFTing, too much choreography, HiiT, heavy weights and/or kettlebells, anything over an hour, basically anything that I don't feel good after.

I'm a person who thrives on variety, so rotations just don't work for me. (I'm an Aries woman!)
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 04:51 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I'm a person who thrives on variety, so rotations just don't work for me. (I'm an Aries woman!)
that explains it for me too

Barb S
another Aries woman LOL
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 05:17 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
that explains it for me too

Barb S
another Aries woman LOL
Well, I'm a Leo and I can't stand rotations either!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dread factor, joni o