Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-14, 04:32 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Good luck with school! I really like the music stand idea, and I might have to steal that.

I loaded up on 30 minute workouts when I was in school a few years ago. I didn't have quite 8 hours of homework a day, but 3 credit hour classes required 6 hours of class time, so it was very time consuming.

My list:

* iTrain's iTread 20 minute workouts. They are short, but if you want to keep your running habit they will do the trick and are effective and intense.

* Cathe: 4DS, XTrain Low Impact HIIT, XT Hard Strikes (w/o core), LIS Cardio Supsets, HIIT, Afterburn (1 set only premix), actually there are plenty of ways to shorten most Cathe workouts with chapters, and doing parts.

* Chalene's CLX

* Les Mill's Combat has a several shorter workouts.

* The Supreme 90 set is mostly 30 minute workouts
Old 03-04-14, 04:44 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Susan, I didn't know you were in nursing school - wow, kudos to you!!!

I *LOVE* 40ish minute workouts; for the 'meat' of my exercise program they're my preferred length! Here are some of my favorites off the top of my head- mind you, I'm happily intermediate (and sometimes below ):
~ Exercise TV Walking Cardio ShapeUp (2 Chris Freytag circuit workouts)
~ Also Chris' Prevention: Fight Cellulite Fast - just the cardio section
~ LOTS of ≤45min Firms from the BBH/BSS1 era. These provide an excellent and effective AWT punch.
~ Karen Voight's Ballet Body Sculpt
~ Amy Dixon's 2 Women's Health workouts, Ultimate Fat Burn and Total Workout in Ten. The backgrounders' woo-ing is unfortunate but the workouts are really good.
~ Can't omit Cindy Crawford's New Dimension, workout C. It's sooo mellow but deceptive and complete. LOVE the music and relaxed vibe.

I'm sure I'll think of others, though I'm not sure how advanced you're looking for.

ETA - Oh, they're a little too draining for me but how about Chris' 10 Pound Slimdown Extreme? It has 5 or 6 40min workouts plus shorter ones too.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 05:06 PM  
txfitmom

I know how you feel about having time to workout while in school. Last year I was in an accelerated laboratory science program. It was the most crazy time of my life. I barely had time to sleep and take a shower. I think the first semester I tried to keep up my workouts, mostly walking on the treadmill, elliptical, Jessica Smith's online workouts, and some KCM workouts. By the time the next semester rolled around I was doing only maybe one workout a week, and then by the time I was in clinicals which was even more crazy and a really really tight schedule, I basically gave up on working out. So now, 10 pounds later, I have had to start all over again.

One of the main workouts I could find time to do at that time was getting on the elliptical and studying at the same time. I would just focus on what you can do. Pick workouts that are short, that you really like, things that destress. Maybe just go for a walk outside to clear your head. Interestingly enough I found that I did better on my exams when I was working out and studying at the same time. I guess I am just not the kind of person to sit and study for hours on end. I have to say I can identify with all the sitting and studying because I had to listen to hours of lectures and takes quizzes etc all online.

Anyway, just know that you may not get to workout as much as you want while in the nursing program, but when your done you can refocus on fitness again. I had to accept that my priorities had changed and it was all temporary.

Here are my favorite workouts that are on the shorter side:

KCM Start Here and Your Best Body
Kendall Hogan's Crunch Total Resculpt (can be broken up into two shorter workouts)
Powerfit and Powerfit Harmony
Exhale Core Fusion (10 min segments)
Jessica Smith Youtube workouts
Cindy Whitmarsh (love her new Ufit workouts and all her older stuff as well, lots of shorter options!)
Caribbean Workouts (shorter, around 20 min or so)
Gilad's Express Workouts
Suzanne Bowen (she has several DVDs that have shorter segments, she also has those online workouts that you can try with lots of shorter options)

Hope this helps!

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 05:09 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Of course, I'm going to say either or the P57 expresses or Thigh & Seat! Didn't you get a couple of those? They're not scratching where it itches?

Also, I've been known to split up the 57 min. ones. They divide nicely--up to seat one day, the rest the next.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 05:11 PM  
RachelW

SusanP: Good luck with school! I went back to nursing school at 30 with three kids. I actually started working out for the first time ever during nursing school with P57. It helped me deal with the stress tremendously. I was in the best shape of my life. I'm struggling more now than I did then because of working nights. 😔 I just repurchased all the P57 videos in an attempt to try again to get back to that shape. Good luck to you! Nursing is a great profession that is very rewarding. I look forward to seeing you post when you graduate, pass NCLEX, and get your first job!!
Old 03-04-14, 05:18 PM  
mrsyancy

I can definitely relate even tho when I was in nursing school I didnt have any children, but I still gained weight bc I didn't have time to workout like I was doing(I was running 4 miles per day 6 days a week). We had 8 hour clinicals 3 days per week(paycheck please.....NOT). Lets not even talk about all the studying. Kudos to you and good luck bc it's definitely worth it.

I don't have any workouts to add bc there are already tons of excellent choices already posted
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 05:26 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

During the week my job is super hectic and all I have time for is about 30 minutes. Here are my personal favorites.

P90X3
any Kelly Coffey-Meyer 30 MTF
Jillian Michaels Body Revolution
Deltafit w/ BJ Gaddour
10 Minute Solution DVDs. I string together 2-4 segments depending on time.
Chris Freytag 10 lb. Slimdown. These are 19 minutes. If you get the 10 lb. Slimdown Extreme, the extreme workouts are 40 minutes and the original 10 lb. Slimdown workouts are included in the set as recovery workouts.
Chris Freytag ACE HIIT series
Chris Freytag Get Your Body Back - 10 10 minute segments to mix and match
Cathe has a lot of shorter premixes on her DVDs
Katami 4x4 set. While the workouts are actually about 45 minutes it would be very easy to eliminate the last quad to bring the time down to about 35 minutes.
Focus T25

Congratulations and good luck!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 05:33 PM  
neatski

Barre3 all the way!! I do them at lunch or when the baby naps. I dont even change my clothes a lot of the time. That's a big part of it- i work hard without ending up a sweaty, drippy mess.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 06:59 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Being a fellow student I can sympathize. I work full time, commute 2 hours round trip daily and just about 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 39 I because a first time college student. I go part time for the most part but my loads the past couple semesters have been hefty. I simply want to plow through and finish, even though I probably have 3-4 years left.

Anyway....I am all about shorter workouts and they are my preference. Not that I don't do longer workouts here and there but the only time I really can is on the weekends. Here are some of my favorites....

Strength -

Margaret Richard All My Best (30 minutes)
Charlene Prickett It Figures (22 minutes)
Michelle Dozois Fat to Firm Fast (40 minutes)
Michelle Dozois Slim Strong Body Sculpt (upper/lower split - 30 minutes)
Michelle Dozois Your Best Body Circuit (express premix - or sometimes I will just pick a few chapters to shorten it up - 35 minutes)
Cindy Whitmarsh - 10 Days to a Better Body (upper/lower split - 35 minutes)
Cathe Pyramid Upper/Lower (up or down premix)
PowerFit original series (20 minutes)
Fitness Fix Intermediate (30 minute fix or upper/lower segments)
Firm - Jiggle Free Arms, Supercharged Sculpting, Cardio Sculpt Blaster, Total Body Toner, Hi Def Sculpt (express premix), Express Cardio

Cardio -

KCM 30 MTF Kickboxing
Tae Bo Get Ripped Basic
10 Minute Solution Knockout Body
Caribbean Workout Aerobics or Kickboxing
Leslie Sansone one or two miler

Yoga/Pilates -

Sara Ivanhoe 20 Minute Yoga Makeover series
Yoga Zone (Evening Stress Release, Strength and Tone, Strong Healthy Back)
MTV Pilates
Winsor Pilates Buns/Thighs
Quick Fix Pilates Abs

Good luck to you in school!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 08:58 PM  
dela

Not sure if you like kettlebells, but the My Mad Methods Fitness is Function kettlebell set has 18 workouts all under an hour, most are likely around 30 minutes, but they get longer as you work through to #18. I recommend lowering the volume and using your own music though. The moves are traditional kettlebell moves combined with body weight and core focused moves.

Kettlebell kickboxing The Body Series are all around 30 minutes and it's a system so there are strength, cardio, core and even a stretching/joint mobility workout.

ETA: Here is a thread for Fitness is Function, many of the workouts are listed out by Rozy with times:
http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...d.php?t=194733
dela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40 minute workouts, deltafit speedshred, keli roberts, short cathe workouts, short workouts