Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-02, 11:16 PM  
Rochelle
VF Supporter

Initial Thoughts on Gilad's QuickFit Weights DVD

My set arrived today. Here are my observations on the weights disc only :

The 4 DVDs come in this cardboard fold-up thingy - kind of flimsy, but the graphic layout is very nice. Each DVD has its own "page" with a blurb describing its particular workout, along with a shot from the workout itself. On the center spine is a suggested weeklong roataton. The first three discs are Cardio Clasic, Cardio Strike, and Cardio Blast. The fourth is the Body Sculpting disc.

The video quality on the sculpting disc is very nice, and the music is pleasantly upbeat. Gilad and his background exercisers look like they are really enjoying the workouts, none of which are longer than 20 minutes. They may be short, but they are definitely challenging - I did the shoulder and arm workout using 3 and 5 pound weights and really felt it. There was some rotator cuff work I'd never seen before, but all the other exercises on the disc were pretty standard: lunges, squats, rows. overhead press, etc., with some nice rhythm changes thrown in to spice things up a bit.

Gilad gives little if any form pointers, which surprised me. That, and the fact that the stretches feel rushed - to me, anyway. I have worked out with the Firm and Cathe for years, and I feel I know enough to make sure I'm being careful. I would be hestitant to recommend these workouts to someone who is just starting with weights, though.

My other nitpicks with this workout has to do with aesthetics. Every now and then, the workout cuts to the participants doing the exercises in swimwear, and the women's itty bitty bikinis seemed completely gratuitous to me. And I also find it laughable that the women are wearing FISHNET pantyhose(!) in the abs workout. Ick. If Gilad was doing his lunges in a Speedo too, then maybe I'd be a bit more sympathetic, but I can't help but notice that he keeps his tummy covered.

Saying that, I really like this disc and can see myself using it for my weight work quite a bit. As mom to a two-year-old, short and effective is the name of the game these days, and Gilad's QuickFit System seems to fit the bill.

For those who are interested, The Body Sculpting DVD is chaptered thusly (but is not programmable):
Hips/Thighs/Buns
Warmup
Standing Exercises
Standing Exercises with weighs
Floor Exercises
Cool Down
Abs
Warmup
Crunches
Obliques
Mid and Lower Abs
Lower Back
Cool Down
Chest and Back
Warmup
Back
Chest
Back and Chest
Cool Down
Shoulders and Arms
Warmup
Shoulders
Biceps
Triceps
Cool Down

Whew! Hope all this helps someone make up their mind...
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-02, 06:14 AM  
PamelaP

Thanks for the info! I can't believe they put each of the four workouts on its own DVD when they could have easily all fit on one disc. Strange!
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-02, 03:58 PM  
lorrayne
VF Supporter

body sculpting workouts are all on one DVD

Just wanted to clarify that all of the body sculpting workouts (lower body, arms/shoulders, abs, and chest/back). I did notice that if you select warmup from the chapter list the DVD plays at the same starting point as if you select play the entire workout (with Gilad quickly explaining the workout).

Lorrayne
lorrayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-02, 04:00 PM  
PamelaP

Oh OK, I must have misunderstood. That sounds better! Thanks, Lorrayne.
Old 09-24-02, 04:25 PM  
mercedes

Chaptering for the cardio DVDs?

Hi,
Could someone please let me know how is the chaptering for the other DVDs - the cardio ones?

Also, what does it mean that the body sculpting DVD is not programmable?

TIA
mercedes
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-02, 01:49 AM  
Rochelle
VF Supporter

Sorry..

I wasn't clear about all the body sculpting work being on a single disc, while each cardio workout has its own disc. I don't understand why all three of those couldn't fit on one disc too.

Mercedes, when I say the chapters aren't programmable, I mean that you can't go in and custom design a workout beforehand, and have it play the exercises in that order (like on the Firm's Super Cardio Mix or Quick Fix Total Mix). You can start the abs workout at the obliques, for example, and it will start from that point and play the rest of the abs segment. But you can't go in and program it to do obliques, then back up and do crunches, then jump forward to the cool down. Does that make more sense?

I'll take a look at the cardio discs and try to post on them tomorrow.

Rochelle
Old 11-29-02, 09:44 AM  
PamelaP

Belated question about Quick Fit DVD packaging

OK, we know from the threads here that there are four DVDs: one for the strength workouts and one for each of the cardio workouts. (Do I have that right?) What I'm wondering now is if the strength DVD comes in its own case, and the cardios in their own case (or three cases?), or if all the discs are in one case.

I really only want the strength DVD and am wondering if I can find someone who only wants the cardios and would split an order with me...but most of us vidiots like to have a nice case so I figured I'd better find out more about the packaging first!
Old 11-29-02, 11:15 AM  
Bebop

How are the cardio workouts?

I was debating on getting the 3 video pack instead of the entire DVD - I have so many strength workouts.

I've never done Gilad.

Thanks.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-02, 12:22 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

I have the Cardio Strike workout on VHS.

It is pretty good. It's probably a medium to high intermediate workout if you do it with gusto. (Like all kickboxing videos, you only get out of it what you put into it...and if you go at it half hearted it is probably pretty easy.)

There are a few (I forget how many...it's been a while) little mini combinations. You do one for a couple of minutes, then move on.

Gilad is his usual cheerful self. Brenda Dykraf (spelling?) is in the background exercisers...I don't know why. They are on the beach in Hawaii, like almost always.

If I was doing more kickboxing, I would do this one more often. I think it is a little more challenging than a Tae Bo Basic. But, not so tough as a CIA or Powerstrike.

I don't have the other two, so I don't know if they are good or not. Being Gilad, I would think they can't be too bad.

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-02, 03:17 PM  
Rochelle
VF Supporter

STILL haven't done the cardio...

Pamela, you're right about the disc format. The weight work is on one disc, while each cardio workout has its own disc, but all four discs come in a single cardboard fold-out thingy. I don't know if they are available separately yet.

I still haven't done any of the cardio workouts. That may say something in itself, that previewing them didn't inspire me to actually try them.

I think I will do the two non-kickboxing ones this weekend so I can post a report.