Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-02, 10:41 PM  
Tugger31

FIRM Lower Body Split

Any opinions on this video?? I'm looking for another lower body tape to add to my video collection. Some general info on me...I do Cathe 95% of the time, and own all of her tapes. I have tried a few FIRMS in the past, but got rid of most of them b/c of some of the "usual" quirks, ie. the sultry voices, "ta da" poses, etc, but I'm always willing to give one another try. I did own Standing Legs at one point, but for the reasons mentioned above I couldnt stand (no pun intended) to do it. It also bothered my knees. The only FIRMS I own now are Super Cardio and Super Strength which I think I will soon be getting rid of b/c I just dont feel like they give me a good workout even using 15 and 20 lb dumbells when possible. And please tell me this tape doesnt contain those curtsy dip things!!

Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-02, 10:53 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

No Curtsy Dips....

In this one, but you still might not like it......
LBS use to be my favorite!

Leg tapes... hmmmmm.....

Karen Voight's Total Pilates with the Ring. Works well.

Haven't read much about, but just did and enjoyed and FELT:
Janis Saffel's: Brand New Butt and More. This tape can be broken into two sections: Standing portion and floor portion!

Will redig out and do KV's: Great Weighted Workout -- seem to remember THAT having a good leg workout

Can do Sinister Sisters: PowerBar Training. They seem to have a good leg section in the beginning. It's CIA something or other.

Weights First: Falls in the "just wierd" category (for me!), but ayayayayaya does my butt and legs hurt the day after doing it!

Just some off the top of my exhausted, tired brain. Will post more as they come back to me.

Cleda

PS.... Can't believe I'm going to say this, BUT: Pilates does alot of floor work and really can slim the thighs and focus on the butt area. Pick Your Spot Pilates..... Crunch video that's only 30 minutes long with 3 sections. Not too new-agey... might do the trick.
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-02, 12:45 AM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

Probably not for you

From what you've said about your preferences, it sounds like you just don't like Firm tapes, so I wouldn't recommend that you try Lower Body Split. Super Sculpting is a fantastic tape and if you already have it and like it maybe you should just keep it and heavy up if you can. Heavying up can be tricky with Firm tapes though, because they move much faster than other workouts and you can sacrifice form if you aren't accustomed to the speed. Generally speaking though, if you don't care for Firm tapes, then I wouldn't force yourself. IMHO, they are the best workouts out there, but they aren't for everyone.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-02, 01:39 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Lower Body Split is a good compilation tape. I think it's better designed than Standing Legs. It starts with standing work and then goes to floorwork, and works one leg first and then the other so it really brings on muscle fatigue.

Yes, it has Firm quirks, but in my opinion this is one workout that's worth putting up with them.

It's also available on DVD so you can customize the workout if there's particular part that gets on your nerves.

The only other person that does good lower body tapes, not previously mentioned, is Joyce Vedral. I have her old Bottoms Up Lower Body tape and it's great. It's out of print, and I haven't seen her more recent stuff so I can't recommend anything, but
you can always try the exchange or ebay.
Old 12-01-02, 07:03 AM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

Legwork

Assuming the video version of Lower Body Split is the same as the DVD version, the exercises are listed for the DVD under the Combinations, Rotations, and Modifications section. Do a search there for Lower Body* Split for the last 6 months .

Cory Everson’s Basic Sculpting System for Lower Body has 2 sets of 15 reps for squats, leg extensions, dips, leg curls, sissy squats, leg presses , calf raises, and good mornings. I added a set to each exercise. She has 2 background exercisers showing a different version of the same exercises, at least one using a weight machine.

Joyce’s Bottoms Up for the lower body has about 7 super (twin) sets of 15 reps for each exercise. They include squats, alternating lunges, plie squats, and quarter dead lifts for which heavy weights can be used, and other leg exercises using light to no weight. The video is about 40 minutes long. I did both of these routines in a rotation last winter as a change from the Cathe’s.

I have also used the legwork in the Firm’s Super Sculpting with Cathe’s PS BBA for a total body workout, thanks to a fellow vfer. I alternated back, legs, biceps, legs, abs. I liked that routine.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote