Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-12, 05:03 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
I'm not versed much in Kundalini, but I think it's not a strong practice in purely physical terms; you may want to have a look at power yoga or ashtanga. The Ultimate Yogi works for me!
I am versed in kundalini, and I very much agree with Herya. Kundalini yoga simply is not enough for me on a physical level. Some of the kriyas are quite tough, no question, but I do a lot of other physical activity aside from kundalini yoga.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 05:33 PM  
Aurora C.

Agreed, I do not rely on kundalini yoga for physical fitness...but for my sanity & sense of mental/emotional balance it's my secret weapon! ;-) ...but with only so many hours in a day, I have to keep my workouts succinct & although doing exclusively KY & Ashtanga yoga may be a viable option, it somehow seems like overkill...I may try it at some point though.
Aurora C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 07:13 AM  
mommyofjoeyp

I would suggest Leah's Ballet Body. I prefer the downloads but her dvd's give a good taste of what the downloads are like (and are cheaper if you just want to try Ballet Body). I bulk up in my upper body very easily and am very happy with my upper body after doing Ballet Body.
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 08:13 AM  
Holly123

I'm starting to sound like a shill but....

I began Venus Index Phase 2 a month ago and love it since I was getting that dreaded "rectangular" look from doing too many of the wrong exercises with heavy weight. VI is designed to enhance an hourglass figure for those of us who want to look strong but feminine. You might be interested in this type of program since it sounds as though it might be a solution to some of your concerns? Below is the link which explains in much greater detail the philosphy of the program. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
http://www.venusindex.com/
Holly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 12:22 PM  
Aurora C.

Thanks for all the input so far! I have the Ballet Body set, & although I found them okay, I somehow didn't find them all that inspiring...perhaps it's the length of them for use as add-ons, the dark background or Leah's more athletic than ballerina-like build (not that she doesn't look fit, strong, healthy & great, she does! But I've already got athletic, I'm going for something else now)...I'll revisit them again, but initially they just didn't grab me in a way that made me look forward to doing them.

I'm intrigued by the Venus Index! This is the first I've heard of it...are there clips of it anywhere?
Old 06-26-12, 12:25 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora C. View Post
Thanks for all the input so far! I have the Ballet Body set, & although I found them okay, I somehow didn't find them all that inspiring...perhaps it's the length of them for use as add-ons, the dark background or Leah's more athletic than ballerina-like build...I'll revisit them again, but initially they just didn't grab me in a way that made me look forward to doing them.

I'm intrigued by the Venus Index! This is the first I've heard of it...are there clips of it anywhere?
They're paper workouts. there aren't DVDs or clips. I believe you can click on the name of the exercises once you buy the program and there's a breakdown of the move, but as far as I know, that's the only "clip"

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 12:29 PM  
Aurora C.

Oh, wo...thanks Shammy! I'm not sure I've got the patience or discipline for that, it may be worth checking out but it also may really frustrate me not to simply pop in a DVD & press play. What a shame, I bet they're losing a big chunk of their market because of that.
Old 06-26-12, 02:05 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think Pilates works well, and there are several Pilates dvds that contain short segments. The Mari Winsor Lower Body Pilates dvd has three 20 minute segments on it, and they are challenging.
Old 06-26-12, 02:13 PM  
Aurora C.

Thanks, I haven't had any dramatic results with Pilates, never really felt challenged enough, even with years of apparatus training...felt too much like I was just killing time so I finally gave up on it. Even though I still do have some Winsor DVDs, I never use them.
Old 06-26-12, 03:29 PM  
alisoncooks

What about Valerie Waters Action Hero Babe? I think Waters is good for strong, yet feminine, body shaping...
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dancer's body, lean, leaning out, lengthened, stretched