Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-12, 12:24 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
Hi BlessedMom! I usually shelve workouts when they give me dread like you described and then re-visit them when the mood strikes. Since you really like Cathe though, why not make a list of all her workouts you have the use the least amount of equipment and are under 3 hours? Just kidding, but seriously, at least the ones that are 60 min and under (if that exists)? The premix idea is a good one too! If you didn't adore her so much I'd say shelve them for now, but maybe trying this list might help? I understand not wanting to do plyo everyday either. Maybe you can also alternate the intensity with her lower impact ones?
Yeah, I'm gonna have to seriously decide which are worth modifying. Travel Fit is a definite keeper. I just don't own a barbell or stability ball anymore (space considerations) so it's aggravating to have workouts that make me go, gee, wish I still had that piece of equipment. But I am sure I could sub in dumbbells for most of the barbell stuff. I need to get creative and just have a couple "Cathe weeks" where I really dive in and try these and see if I fall deeper in love or realize it's time to part ways. (Or if I'm still on the fence, I'll put them up for a couple months and possibly try again later.)
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 12:42 PM  
bearcatfan

I recently did a major purge of my workouts and 99 percent of what is left is Cathe, from Four Day Split working back.

She lost me at STS, completely. But i still enjoy her older workouts, and I often just do parts of them (the upper body portion of the Body Maxes slay me every time). I'm okay only working out 30-40 minutes every day, and there's usually a premix or section that works in that time frame.

I think if an entire Cathe dvd fills you with dread, instead look at it as several workouts on one dvd. You might get more use out of the dvds, and they will be fresher. It's worth a try.

In terms of strength equipment, I only have dumbbells/kettlebells, some bands and sliders. Most Cathe workouts are doable with dumbbells and a band. I have a unique situation in that my tv and workout area are near steps. so I do step ups on my stairs instead of a high step. Even so, I work out in my living room and only have 2-3 things out at one time doing Cathe.
Old 05-14-12, 01:13 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

As soon as I opened this thread I wondered if it was about Cathe's workouts because I have the exact same reaction to most of them (save Travel Fit and a few of the LIS). For some reason, I have a hard time with most of her workouts. As I commented on another thread: "I have never seen someone so cheerful while inflicting so much pain."

Like many here have said, go to the workouts you will actually do. I find KCM more to my liking and my level as well as many others. You will find a perfect niche for yourself.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 01:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i have what i would consider "the least intense and 'short' cathe's" in my collection.

i remember the first cathe i tried - BodyMax (the first one on VHS). i thought i was going to die. i couldn't even get through the warm up! i owned and traded away MIS. at this time, i realized i wasn't interested in her step videos since "less intense" step videos from other instructors worked best for me. there's a lot of threads about people who gave up on cathe despite her being a doll of an instructor. so that made me feel less of a failure - at least i wasn't alone!

then i avoided cathe for many years until maybe when she started offering pre-mixes on her workouts. i'd say maybe when she came out with low impact step, low impact challenge, basic step, low impact circuit was when i started coming back to cathe. i then acquired her timesaver DVD from body blast. i didn't want the whole series.

i have push-pull, pyraminds, slow and heavy, pure strength. i make use of any premixes, and i have found ways to modify it to my level, with the least amount of equipment, and and within the time constraints that fit my schedule. i don't lift as heavy as she does - i lift what makes me feel comfortable.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 02:12 PM  
TinaS

Wink Ditto on beat up and tired!

Ditto on beat up and tired I love Cathe's personality and style and have worked out with her since PowerMax and Step Jam. Lately, I find that I don't want to spend a lot of time setting up and breaking down a lot of equipment. If you dread them, move on. There's a lot more out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
Funny you should ask.

I am an advanced exerciser who realized not too long ago that I was tired. Beat. Beat up, even. So I decided to try a month of Tracie Long. Shorter, intermediate to intermediate/advanced workouts. I'm loving it so far. (But in the interest of full disclosure, I'm only 3 days into it.)

FWIW, I've never quite clicked with Cathe. I workout because it makes me happy, and I find no joy when I train with her. It's your time, and if it's not working for you, I give you permission to shelve your Cathe DVDs. If you don't pull them out or want to pull them out within the next 60 days, trade 'em.
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 02:18 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
Any time I put a dvd in and:
1) I start screaming almost immediately
(usually along the lines of I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU or THIS IS STUPID STUPID STUPID AND YOU NEED TO SHUT UP)

2) I lie down on the floor and refuse to move

3) I stand there snorting with my arms crossed

the writing is on the wall. It is over.
LOL! This has been my reaction almost every time I've tried barre.
Old 05-14-12, 02:23 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
As soon as I opened this thread I wondered if it was about Cathe's workouts because I have the exact same reaction to most of them (save Travel Fit and a few of the LIS). For some reason, I have a hard time with most of her workouts. As I commented on another thread: "I have never seen someone so cheerful while inflicting so much pain."

Like many here have said, go to the workouts you will actually do. I find KCM more to my liking and my level as well as many others. You will find a perfect niche for yourself.
I was thinking, wouldn't it be dreamy if Cathe would come out with a 30 Minutes to Fitness series??!?! OH MY....

<snapping out of it>
YEAH RIGHT. About as likely as her doing a Powerfit series. (Which would be equally, if not more, dreamy...can you imagine having to double up on Cathe dvds to get a full workout?)

Old 05-14-12, 02:26 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i have what i would consider "the least intense and 'short' cathe's" in my collection.

i remember the first cathe i tried - BodyMax (the first one on VHS). i thought i was going to die. i couldn't even get through the warm up! i owned and traded away MIS. at this time, i realized i wasn't interested in her step videos since "less intense" step videos from other instructors worked best for me. there's a lot of threads about people who gave up on cathe despite her being a doll of an instructor. so that made me feel less of a failure - at least i wasn't alone!

then i avoided cathe for many years until maybe when she started offering pre-mixes on her workouts. i'd say maybe when she came out with low impact step, low impact challenge, basic step, low impact circuit was when i started coming back to cathe. i then acquired her timesaver DVD from body blast. i didn't want the whole series.

i have push-pull, pyraminds, slow and heavy, pure strength. i make use of any premixes, and i have found ways to modify it to my level, with the least amount of equipment, and and within the time constraints that fit my schedule. i don't lift as heavy as she does - i lift what makes me feel comfortable.
Would you say Low Impact Circuit is less intense than, say, Body Max 2? I don't have LIC but have had it on my wishlist for a while.

I also just traded for High Step Circuit, which I saw referred to as "beginner-ish", to which I replied, YES! Sign me up! So maybe there's hope for me and Cathe's friendship yet....
Old 05-14-12, 02:29 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
<snip>

I think if an entire Cathe dvd fills you with dread, instead look at it as several workouts on one dvd. You might get more use out of the dvds, and they will be fresher. It's worth a try.
<snip>
This is the point of view I'm taking on, I think. Thank you for the reply!
Old 05-14-12, 02:38 PM  
Poogle

I have mostly Cathe workouts, and love them, however, I think the only ones I have done in their entirety are STS, High Reps, and Athletic training, I look at them as multiple workouts on one dvd, and only do premixes I can't imagine doing a 70 min Cathe cardio video.

Interestingly enough, one reason I havent added many other instructors to my collection is that they don't have premixes, I feel like I get a better value with a Cathe dvd
Poogle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, dread factor