Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-12, 08:27 AM  
blessed_mom_to_3

At what point do you give up on workouts that are too difficult/have AMAZING dread??

I ask because I have been pondering for a couple weeks...

I am a solid intermediate exerciser and have no desire to be the fittest person on the block or to work out until I can't carry out my daily duties. I love Cathe's personality. I love how her workouts look when I preview them. But for some reason, every Cathe I own has such amazing dread for me.

It could be because:
1. She uses 14 pieces of equipment in EVERY workout.
2. Her workouts are all three hours long. So from the get go I feel like a loser for not doing the entire thing, lol.
3. She loves plyometrics in 90% of her workouts and while I can do them to a certain extent, I don't care to tear up my knees at 35.
4. See reasons #1-3.

What is so painful is that:
1. I love her personality! Cathe is adorable!
2. I love her businesslike manner.
3. I love that her followers are called Cathletes (how cool is that?).
4. I am SURE her workouts would whip me into shape, if I weren't busy dreading them.

At what point do you give up? Do you put them up and revisit them in a few months, or just scrap it all?

Thanks for your input. I just thought this might be an interesting discussion.
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 08:42 AM  
Vee

If it were any other instructor, I would say, scrap....but not Cathe. There is something special about her. It is worth keeping a few Cathe workouts just in case you feel more invincible on some days.

Not all Cathe workouts are equipment intensive or super intense. I can do many of her older weight training workouts (pre sash series) with a step and a few dumbbells and perhaps a band. Many of her cardio workouts are very doable on intensity and not very high impact, like shock cardio MMAs or her earlier kickboxing and step. Her early circuit workouts are also very doable. She also usually provides great shorter premixes.

I no longer buy new Cathe though. I don't do intense workouts often enough to keep collecting her workouts, but I will hold on to the ones I have and I am sure to enjoy them even if infrequently.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 08:44 AM  
PhyllisG

I loved Cathe for so long and then it was over--after STS 2X. I just was no longer interested in all that equipment, the endless reps, the abs that went on forever (IMO) and how my clothes were fitting. That was over 2 years ago and I have since sold or traded 95% of the workouts. I have never looked back. There are so many others to enjoy. If you are looking at them with dread and not enjoying even thinking about doing them move on to something you will actually DO. That is really the important part. Don't even think about feeling guilty. Cathe is not the only instructor out there or even the only effective one. Good luck and enjoy!
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 08:45 AM  
daisyfit

I love Cathe workouts and I think they are adaptable. I get a bit intimidated by the length of Body Max 2 so I just do a short premix and adapt as needed and take a few breaks. When I'm finding Cathe's workout tough, I do her Stretch Max and this flexibility workout helps me do her other workouts.
daisyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 08:58 AM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Thank you for the replies so far. I need to learn to think of the premixes as individual workouts rather than thinking of each dvd as a single workout.

I do have one Cathe I don't dread, and that's Travel Fit. Simple. One piece of equipment. Solid intermediate. Less than an hour. Why can't Cathe make more like this one?
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 09:04 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm another one who has stopped buying high impact Cathe, but I have kept most of what I already own. I like her weight workouts as I can adjust them. I also modify the impact quite a bit.

I actually like Tracie Long better as an instructor, but her workouts don't seem to do much for my body, so I return to Cathe often.
Old 05-14-12, 09:16 AM  
mle777

It's interesting to see this thread because I just posted the following over on the Tone It Up/Beach Babe thread. I think it applies here pretty well

Quote:
I've been all about fun workouts lately. I recently decided that when it comes to my health, I'm doing what makes me happy. No more dieting rules. Balance, variety, and moderation are my new focus when it comes to food. With exercise, if there's any dread factor with a workout, I'm not doing it. I'm not going to waste time in life doing something that makes me unhappy. The results aren't worth it to me if I didn't enjoy the process. So, I'm reaching for fun workouts that I enjoy. I made the changes because I was tired of "doing what I'm suppose to do" I wanted to enjoy my healthy lifestyle, not dread it. Since making the changes, I've lost about five pounds without even trying (and I'm within 6 pounds of my preferred weight). These workouts fit in perfectly with my new outlook. No they aren't Cathe's, but they make me smile (except for that darn HIIT one, lol) and that's what matters

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 09:18 AM  
ktlc
VF Supporter

There was a time when all I did was Cathe. I loved all her workouts. But that ended for me around the Intensity Series primarily for the reasons you mentioned; equipment, impact and length. I don't have anything against Cathe, but her workouts just aren't for me anymore. I listed them for sale on Amazon and sold a few, but most are still out there.

There are so many great workouts out there, I wouldn't spend anymore time on something I dread.

"The body achieves what the mind believes" - Unknown
ktlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 09:35 AM  
furmomof6

Hi BlessedMom! I usually shelve workouts when they give me dread like you described and then re-visit them when the mood strikes. Since you really like Cathe though, why not make a list of all her workouts you have the use the least amount of equipment and are under 3 hours? Just kidding, but seriously, at least the ones that are 60 min and under (if that exists)? The premix idea is a good one too! If you didn't adore her so much I'd say shelve them for now, but maybe trying this list might help? I understand not wanting to do plyo everyday either. Maybe you can also alternate the intensity with her lower impact ones?

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 09:38 AM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
It's interesting to see this thread because I just posted the following over on the Tone It Up/Beach Babe thread. I think it applies here pretty well
I like your quote from the other thread! Sounds like a great philosophy!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, dread factor