Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-11, 02:24 PM  
mtnmom

There are workouts that you really seem to click with, and those you do because for some reason, you think you should. Earlier in the year I was really lacking my motivation. New workouts were coming in and I would fit them into my rotation (I use that term loosely). Once the workout was tried, I was demotivated yet again. There seemed to be more excuses for "rest days" and the pounds were creeping on.

So I got out my calendar from last year. I actually got to my goal weight (briefly) last year and was hoping that I had been doing something magic. No, it wasn't magic, they were workouts I really like doing. Not new workouts, things like Petra step and NYC and the original Ripped.

I don't know why I keep checking up on new workouts, it's the vidiot in me. Lots of what I did last year was KCM and I'm thrilled with her two new ones. So sometimes new workouts are a beautiful thing, but never dismiss the old!
Old 05-06-11, 02:30 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
I don't usually have that problem, but I will burn out on a workout after a while and shelve it.
Like Barb, I don't invest in expensive workouts or sets for that reason. Well, I should say I haven't done it yet...
Same here. Other than Leslie's walks and Ellen Barrett, I never really seem to get tired of either one.

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 03:48 PM  
Nairobinicole

I don't know where I fit into this. I have done Cardio Coach, volumes 5 and 7, so many times you would think I would be sick of them. No matter how many times I do them, I just love them more. Probably the only dvds that have inspired that level of fidelty from me are Jari Love's Get Ripped Slim and Lean and Ripped & Chiseled.

Everything else I am indifferent to. If for some reason I lost my entire exercise collection, as it is today, I don't think I would have to replace anything other than those items. I think the only reason I do some of them is because I spent good money on them and I refuse to waste it by not using them. Lol.
Nairobinicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 04:31 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I'm quite similar. I have some videos I do over and over, and many that I do once and then - even if I really liked it - never again. I don't know why for sure, but having too many videos doesn't help.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 05:28 PM  
dmlarue1

I burn myself out on some dvds too...i did 6 weeks of APY60 rotation and then I just don't want to do them anymore. THey are good dvds but I just need a break. I have a tons of dvds but tend to reach for the same ones all the time, but keep buying more and more!!
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 05:36 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I have some videos I do over and over, and many that I do once and then - even if I really liked it - never again. I don't know why for sure, but having too many videos doesn't help.
I relate to this, too.

I realized that I have conflicting needs for structure and for variety. I'm OK with doing the same thing over and over if it's in my rotation, and yet I need to have options for what to stick in those rotations. I always leave something open for choice in my rotation, however, rather than making it very rigid.
I've also realized there's something about that first time experience that appeals to me so much more than the second and third time. I'm not totally sure what, but at least I've identified that it's there. That explains to some extent why I like DVDs with multiple workouts (although for some reason I'm not a big premix person ).
There are people who give videos so many tries before they get rid of them, but I've had very little trader's remorse when I've gotten rid of something I've only tried once. Some of them I even rather liked, but for whatever reason I didn't see myself doing them again.

Renting DVDs from some place like KineticFlix, recording exercise shows off of Discovery Health (formerly known as FitTV) / OWN (if you can find them anymore), looking for free workouts online or on apps (ExerciseTV offers these), and trading (permanently or temporarily) are inexpensive ways to go through a different workout everyday without too much guilt.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 07:51 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
There are workouts that you really seem to click with, and those you do because for some reason, you think you should. Earlier in the year I was really lacking my motivation. New workouts were coming in and I would fit them into my rotation (I use that term loosely). Once the workout was tried, I was demotivated yet again. There seemed to be more excuses for "rest days" and the pounds were creeping on.
This very much describes where I am right now.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 01:55 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

If I like a workout, I like it - the 1st time, 2nd time, etc. Sometimes I do a new workout once, don't love it (usually because of terrible music), & put it aside for a while. It's fun trying a new workout, but I don't feel that I work as hard trying something new. I like having the choice of turning to an old, familiar workout, or something newer.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 09:50 AM  
missmomus

Even if I really love a dvd, I won't use it that often because I'm afraid I'll burn out on it...unless it has different premixes or segments that don't feel like a repeat. I don't really get sick of instructors I like, but I definitely get sick of music or hearing the same phrases repeated again & again.
missmomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 10:27 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Not to take away from Carb's terrific post, Sherry, but "paralysis by analysis" has been in common use here (and elsewhere) for years. Bingo!!
I honestly had not heard that before! I just love it!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dread factor, fickle, stagnation, vidiocy