Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-11, 10:30 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Am I the only one who can't stand to do a DVD more than once?

Been with the same man 24 years; same kids 19 and 12, respectively; same house for 20; same bank for 38; same cellular provider for 18; and same job for 26.5. I seem to demonstrate a fondness for sameness so why can't I do a DVD twice?
This wasn't a problem a few years back when I did the same two Leslies for a year and then added Turbo Jam just for something different/exotic.

Now even if I lurve a workout/instructor, I.just.can't.do.it.

So I have been walking on the TM and through the neighborhood a lot.

Any help out there?

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 10:35 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

That was an amusing post. I'm sure your DH and kids are happy your ennui doesn't include them.

I was thinking your fitness regimen must be terribly expensive if you can only do a dvd once.

I can do dvds more than once, but not all of them. I have a terribly expensive collection because there are dvds I'll do once and never do again. It's not that they're bad, I just don't feel like pulling them out. I do like variety. But there are others that I can do a lot.

Maybe classes at a gym?
Old 05-06-11, 10:37 AM  
Sissy B

Since I started working out on my Wii a couple of years ago I can hardly stand to do a DVD at all - but I keep buying them.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 10:47 AM  
Carb8985

I think I'm the opposite. Once I love a DVD, I can't stop doing it and other things I try do not live up. This happened with Bar Method Dancer's Body. I loved it immediately, used it for 3 months, and other things I tried just weren't as good or effective for me. It's happening again now with P57. I just love the workouts. Can't stop using them. I recently tried the new Bar Methods and they are good, but I can't seem to shake my desire to keep doing P57.

I do like variety, for sure, but there's something about consistency that I like too.

Maybe you just haven't found a DVD that you truly love If you have enough DVDs, maybe you can just rotate through them all once and then start from the beginning again. If you have enough, I bet each time you do one again it'll feel totally new

ETA: Also maybe you have paralysis by analysis. You have so much choice now that it's hard to choose and feel satisfied with your choice. Back in the day, with just a couple of DVDs, there was no choice involved. You just did what you had and got it done.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:00 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

My problem is that I have a ton of workouts that I have bought thinking I wanted them, and only did most of them once or twice. I keep going back to my Firm's, most of which I have done, like a zillion times. Especially, the BSS1/Transfirmer series. I don't know if it is because I started with these way back when or what. I am happy to say, I have been buying less. I should not be buying anything at all. I really don't get my money's worth out of most of them

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:03 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
I think I'm the opposite. Once I love a DVD, I can't stop doing it and other things I try do not live up. This happened with Bar Method Dancer's Body. I loved it immediately, used it for 3 months, and other things I tried just weren't as good or effective for me. It's happening again now with P57. I just love the workouts. Can't stop using them. I recently tried the new Bar Methods and they are good, but I can't seem to shake my desire to keep doing P57.

I do like variety, for sure, but there's something about consistency that I like too.

Maybe you just haven't found a DVD that you truly love If you have enough DVDs, maybe you can just rotate through them all once and then start from the beginning again. If you have enough, I bet each time you do one again it'll feel totally new

ETA: Also maybe you have paralysis by analysis. You have so much choice now that it's hard to choose and feel satisfied with your choice. Back in the day, with just a couple of DVDs, there was no choice involved. You just did what you had and got it done.
I love that! Paralysis by Analysis! I hope you don't mind, but I am going to borrow that, lol! Seriously, sometimes I just spend so much time trying to decide which workout to do, it is stupid! I do believe you have hit it dead on!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:06 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Not to take away from Carb's terrific post, Sherry, but "paralysis by analysis" has been in common use here (and elsewhere) for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
Back in the day, with just a couple of DVDs, there was no choice involved. You just did what you had and got it done.
Bingo!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:07 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I have definitely had analysis paralysis, but I have moved on in peculiarities.

I find myself putting in a fave (it says so right there on the notecard I have attached to it, along with why I loved it and when I loved it first) and after a few minutes I start fantasizing about a large bonfire fed by DVDs and VHSes, maybe started with a Fitness or Self magazine.

On one of my check-ins I called it a bizarre journey. One day I put in about seven and Joni O'ed them all. Then went to the TM.

Classes was a thought, but my schedule doesn't mesh well with any classes I have available to me, and those do get expensive.

DD, it is not expensive in that I have about 400 on VHSes and DVDs. While if I really want something, I will pay retail for it, I would say about 90 percent of my collection is from thrift stores and garage sales. I don't do band wagons, unless they are cheap. I have a VF friend who has generously given me more than a couple of workouts.
I have "good" stuff, too, so I am not just doing "Mary Jane lost 10 pounds by lifting progressively larger sizes of bean cans, and you can, too" stuff filmed in a basement workout room.

Maybe it is just that special time of a woman's life, you know, where she reassesses everything and it is all lacking (except the chocolate), and nothing seems to "fit."

Sissy, I can't even make myself visit my friends on the island, so you know it is bad. But I will say I have spent more time on the Wii lately than on the DVD/VCR. I picked up one from Amazon, Active Explorer, that I am hoping will get me back in the game.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:12 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
I love that! Paralysis by Analysis! I hope you don't mind, but I am going to borrow that, lol! Seriously, sometimes I just spend so much time trying to decide which workout to do, it is stupid! I do believe you have hit it dead on!

Sherry
I can't take credit for that phrase. My mom (also a vidiot) uses it all the time! She also suffers from it...haha. Having too many DVDs really makes you overthink your workout. Variety is definitely a double-edged sword! FWIW, I find that writing my workouts in a calendar on Sundays really makes me stick with my choices and not "overthink" it each morning!

On the other hand, I do love thinking about my workouts and planning and choosing and reading VF. So I don't think it's stupid to spend all that time thinking about it. It only becomes a problem when all the "analysis" actually makes you throw your hands up in the air and say "forget the workout!" and head to the couch...LOL!
Old 05-06-11, 11:18 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Not to take away from Carb's terrific post, Sherry, but "paralysis by analysis" has been in common use here (and elsewhere) for years.
VF is probably where my mom got it from! Definitely a common phenomenon around here

Tags
dread factor, fickle, stagnation, vidiocy