Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-11, 11:36 AM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I was interested in Defining Lines but not so much anymore since I didn't love Leaning Out when others really did.

I agree that there is a learning curve with some of them - especially the warmups on the TLTs and b4. Actually, I haven't liked the warmups as much since then.

She has put out 12 workouts in what a year - and paid for piecemeal, costs more than any other the planned system out there.

I think a rotation (or a purpose) for using these would really help because they are all starting to look the same. (except Step Forward)
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 12:08 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Returned the DVD for a refund - left knee aches too!

I returned Defining Lines to Collage today. Thank goodness for their 30-day no hassle return policy.

I noticed the day after I did this workout that my left knee felt ache-y and wonky and I NEVER have knee pain, ever! That was a surprise. I did absolutely nothing different at work or home that day or the next to explain it other than Tracie's workout.

I guess it's possible that the quick switches/late cueing made me torque my knee, but I would have noticed that. I can't really explain it.

I guess this workout was just not my cup of tea.
Old 03-13-11, 09:20 AM  
lorajc

Okay, I just did this one and I really liked it (as much as I liked Leaning Out). Yes, I used lighter weights and counted it as a cardio day with a bit of functional fitness. Yes, there is a learning curve, but after I do it a few times, I'll be fine and able to follow. I LOVE the variety...but that being said, I've got ADD and appreciate LOTS of variety with moves and workouts. I loved the mix of med ball work and weights with a functional fitness/balance work vibe to it. Also, it is pretty low impact (which is important, since I work out around spinal injuries).

I really enjoyed it and will do this often. I appreciate that Tracie's workouts help my posture/balance, etc and are easy on my joints. I liked the ab work at the end also.

I felt worked, but not overly so after the workout.

I guess if you got the first set of TLT's that had that learning curve, you'd like these too! Just keep in mind that they are not weight lifting weights per se....a la Cathe, but more of a light cardio/functional fitness type of lighter weight circuit.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 02:15 PM  
cardiomama

Thanks for the reviews, Dawn & Lora. I'm waiting for my order to be delivered (did receive shipping e-mail), so won't be reviewing the new TLs until next week.
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:04 PM  
shelleyann

Huh...I'm totally surprised at this thread. I LOVE Tracie's new dvds as well as her older ones. I think they are so much fun and I think she cues just fine. The music is great and I feel them. I am quite fit and workout a lot, so I'm not sure I would say they are for beginners or people trying to get back into fitness. In fact, there is a lot of choreography for people not used to doing exercise dvds. That may be why some people don't like them if you are not used to choreography, which I happen to love. I love mixing toning, balance and cardio...to me it is a perfect-balanced mix. I think some people are more inclined toward strictly cardio or toning only dvds, or a certain discipline, which is fine, but if a workout has a mix of components that doesn't make it not worthwhile.

I guess that is why there are so many types of dvds out there to meet everyone's needs/likes. I like to have lots of different kinds of workouts to keep things interesting & these fit in well. I think just because something isn't my cup of tea (like some workouts out there) doesn't mean it isn't a good workout, just not my thing.

I think Tracy seems really nice and is very creative. I sure do hope she continues to come out with more dvds and she doesn't receive too much negative feedback which might keep her from producing more.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 01:26 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyann View Post
I think Tracy seems really nice and is very creative. I sure do hope she continues to come out with more dvds and she doesn't receive too much negative feedback which might keep her from producing more.
<gasp> Oh, Tracy MUST make more videos. Honestly, her workouts are the only one's I've made a point to acquire in the last year. I have all of her workouts from when she was a Firm instructor to FitPrime to TLT, TLP, and today. I only missed out on the Yorktowns and am kicking myself that those are no longer available. (DRAT!)

I've been sick along with having other health issues for my son so I haven't been able to do the last two new ones, Weightless and Defined Lines. I did preview Weightless and it looks great to me. Will know more once I actually get to do them, but I love all the new workouts - even Backup and all the ones with sound issues.

So, Tracy, if you're reading this - make more, please.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 04:38 AM  
sundari

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalina View Post
I found this to be true as well. It took me awhile to learn how to do the TLPs/TLTs but it was so worth the effort!! They weren't the typical pick up a dumbbell - do a bicep curl - etc. It's engaging all those supporting muscles that I wasn't used to concentrating on.

I can't even begin to express how incredibly disappointed I was with the first set of Longevity workouts and the sound issues. I need to be 'in the zone' when I exercise and the fluctuating sound issues pull me out every time I try to do one of them. I was so thrilled that everything was fine with Leaning Out and hope that since no one has mentioned sound issues with Defined Lines that that one is okay too. I know my body responds to Tracie's workouts like no other!!

Kathy

There are no sound issues with Defined Lines. I like this workout because of the functional aspect of it. I think its good to mix in functional work and not strictly do traditional all the time. I feel doing functional work hits areas that traditional doesn't.
Old 03-21-11, 05:18 AM  
momof10

I totally agree with Shelley!!! I absolutely love Tracie's workouts, old and new. She comes up with such a variety of moves, it amazes me. I would classify myself as an advanced exerciser. I have been working out for 38 years almost daily. I started doing DVDs in 1995, with Cathe. I have every DVD Cathe has ever made, except for her Step in Motion. So, I wouldn't consider Tracie's workouts to be just for people over 40, who haven't worked out in a while. Tracie has such good functional moves. I have done her latest two workouts and I loved them.

I am sure Tracie's DVDs aren't for everyone by any means. That's where the saying "different strokes for different strokes." I hope she continues to produce DVDs for a long time to come.

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 05:05 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

This thread has enabled me! I like structured workouts so that I can track my progress and use heavier weights over time. Other times - I love a workout full of variety, ones that I do for the sheer joy of movement. Defined Lines sounds like it will be perfect for the latter.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 05:13 PM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundari View Post
There are no sound issues with Defined Lines. I like this workout because of the functional aspect of it. I think its good to mix in functional work and not strictly do traditional all the time. I feel doing functional work hits areas that traditional doesn't.
sundari, I'm glad to hear there are no sound issues with Defined Lines. Thanks!

I love Leaning Out and this one looks terrific!!
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defined lines, defining lines, defining shape, focus series, leaning out, longevity, tlt, tracie long, tracie long training