Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-10, 12:21 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thumbs down Turkish Get-ups: The Okra of Kettlebell Exercises

I was a kettlebell nut a few years ago. I did them exclusively for six months. I had tried get-ups and just didn't enjoy any aspect of the move. Then, I did another, non-kettlebell workout and injured my hip. After that, doing swings would hurt my hip. I would try them again every six months or so. I did some the other day and my hip is not too sore. My thut and inner thighs are still very sore. I'm thrilled that I can (hopefully) get back to more k-bell work. If my hip starts hurting, I'll have to quit again for good.

I thought I would try out Enter The Kettlebell as a follow-up to STS. I have Pavel's ETK book, the ETK DVD and Anthony's workbook.

Love vegetables. Hate okra. Love swings. Hate get-ups. I know they are an outstanding exercise for many reasons. But - yuck! My knees don't like them either.

I wanted a fun program after the three-month non-fun of STS. I have a collection of k-bell DVDs, so I don't have to endure TGUs.

(No offense to okra lovers and/or TGU lovers around the world).

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 12:36 PM  
counterclockwise

No offense taken from an okra/TGU-lover. I am not a swing lover. I mean, I like them in short doses and I love the glute/ham activation and no-impact cardio factor and all. But this week the ETK workbook wants me to do 50 swings in a row. I'm pretty sure Anthony is crazy.

Glad to hear the hip is doing well so far!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 01:27 PM  
sciencelady

I respect TGUs - they're darn hard, they're humbling, they do take discipline to do correctly, but once you get it down, what a feeling of accomplishment! I'm as proud of my first heavy TGU (16 kg) as I am of my first chinup! Both were equally impossible at first.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 01:35 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
I respect TGUs - they're darn hard, they're humbling, they do take discipline to do correctly, but once you get it down, what a feeling of accomplishment! I'm as proud of my first heavy TGU (16 kg) as I am of my first chinup! Both were equally impossible at first.
I have to agree with this..I can't say I LOVE them either--but respect them. I'm off to lift my husband up in a few to see if that offers more of a challenge NOT

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 02:07 PM  
KathAL79

Alta, you know how to word things! And you can keep preaching to this choir with your okra bashing.
In all seriousness, I hope your hip does cooperate with your efforts to resume kettlebells.

Can I use "love" in reference to TGUs to say that they are a love to hate type of exercise?
Well, I don't feel quite that strongly, but I like to dislike them. I will do them, as they are good for me, and I can do them without pain, unlike some other exercises (*cough* triceps push-ups), and without feeling utter misery (*cough* burpees and mountain climbers).

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 05:07 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I love swings, but I hardly ever make myself do TGUs. I wouldn't sweat it. How often do you make yourself eat okra?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 06:04 PM  
Alan

I don't love them, but I respect them!

TGUs can bother my knee as well when I do them as Anthony instructs, so I do them more like how Pavel does it in the ETK video and that seems to help.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 06:35 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Love okra. Don't like brussels sprouts. TGUs are like brussels sprouts. Pssst, I skip them most of the time.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 07:49 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
Pssst, I skip them most of the time.
LOL! The truth comes out ...

I'm in the "respect" league, & avoid doing them.
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 09:21 PM  
jlar

I love all the exercises in Lauren Brooks "Grind" workout but never do it because I hate the TGU and for some reason I can't skip parts in a workout routine - I feel like a cheater/failure, therefore I don't do the workout at all

jlar
jlar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enter the kettlebell, etk, getups, okra, tgus, turkish get-ups