Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 04-19-09, 03:51 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

Garmin 405CX

Hi all,

Does anyone run with the 405CX? If so, how does the bezel work? I keep reading reviews that are negative in regards to the user friendliness of the bezel.

I am torn between the 305 and the 405 - I like the smaller unit but don't want to deal with the bezel if it's a pain.

Thanks -
Jo
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 06:17 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

DH has a 305 and LOVES it. He isn't interested in the 405 because of the bezel. Best Buy has the 305 in their ad today for $159.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 08:09 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

Thanks Marie! I was just about to order from amazon for $173.00. I think the bezel will be annoying so I am going to more than likely buy the rather clunky 305.
Old 04-20-09, 09:30 AM  
Kimberly33

I found the 305 was a bit big for my wrist when I got it. I got the "quick release strap" (I can't remember if it only comes with a bike mount or not), and it is WAY more comfortable than the original strap (it would knock my wrist bone and I would get a bruise after a run). I really love the info it gives, and highly recommend it, but know that if the original strap doesn't work for you, there are other options. Even a velcro replacement strap might work better for smaller wrists (the quick release set up lets me move it from my wrist to my bike very easily).

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 11:31 AM  
azelizabeth

I love the 305... can't run without it. It is bulky but the one thing I love about it is that I can actually see the numbers when I am runing. I have it set up to show me min per mile, length of time, distance and heart rate.

Love it.

Elizabeth
azelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 12:10 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by azelizabeth
I love the 305... can't run without it. It is bulky but the one thing I love about it is that I can actually see the numbers when I am runing. I have it set up to show me min per mile, length of time, distance and heart rate.

Love it.

Elizabeth
Ita with Elizabeth. I have the 205 (the same as the 305 but without the HR monitor) and love it. It has a larger display so you can see the numbers very easily. I have mine in the 3 window mode showing the overall time at the top, last lap and total distance. The time on the top takes up half the window so those numbers are huge. It allows you to not have to bring your arm in close to have to see it.

The 205 is good if the hr monitor isn't something you need. It's only about $125 now so a great buy, too.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 05:13 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

Thanks again Marie for the Best Buy tip - I am ordering the 305. The 405 is just too pricey and, even though it is smaller, I just think the bezel will annoy me. And, to be honest, I don't race, or get paid to run, so the 305 will be perfect.

Anything is better than the 301 I have been using which seems like a desktop on my wrist.

Thanks all!
Old 04-20-09, 05:59 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

That is a great price! The tip to get the different band is a good one. Compared to the 301 it will feel much smaller. That one is huge but cutting edge when it came out a few years ago.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 02:40 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly33
I found the 305 was a bit big for my wrist when I got it. I got the "quick release strap" (I can't remember if it only comes with a bike mount or not), and it is WAY more comfortable than the original strap (it would knock my wrist bone and I would get a bruise after a run). I really love the info it gives, and highly recommend it, but know that if the original strap doesn't work for you, there are other options. Even a velcro replacement strap might work better for smaller wrists (the quick release set up lets me move it from my wrist to my bike very easily).
Kimberly, where did you find this alternative strap? I have the same problem with my 305 -- I either have to make it uncomfortably tight or have it knocking against my wrist bones with every step.
Old 04-21-09, 03:35 PM  
cheval

I use this strap with my 305. Can't stand using the band that it came with.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-0101071...0346098&sr=8-1

April
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, gadgets, garmin, gps