Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-16, 01:08 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
My DH says our BS deflectors wear out, lol.
All the best Alta, more (((hugs))).
Lol, ain't that the truth! I find myself being much more frank with people than I've ever been and caring less what they think of me!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 01:17 PM  
BunnyHop

Oooh, a walking trail! That sounds very nice.

I'm sorry you're going through so much lately, but I'm glad you talked about it here, because it seems to have inspired me to some better self care.

Insomnia is one of my biggest issues, and last night I did a short yoga nidra practice (with 'I fall asleep easily, I stay asleep soundly, and I wake feeling rested' as my sankalpa), got out of bed and did the insomnia segment on Yoga for Stress Relief, then got back in bed and read the universal loving-kindness recitations from Mindfulness in Plain English. (online here: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe9.html )

I'm guessing it all helped because I really don't remember much tossing and turning after that, I woke up feeling rested and I'm feeling pretty good today.
Did the shorter morning routine from Yoga for Stress Relief this AM, but it made me feel slower and stiffer than I'd thought I would, so I did one of my favorite CS routines (season 8, Lose a Pant Size) as a followup, then actually made time for actual meditation after that.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 05-31-16, 02:24 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Wow, thanks so much for the kind and thoughtful replies and advice! Lots to think about.

Julie, Bebop and Debbie, I, too, am sorry about your losses. Loss is part of life that never gets easier to bear.

I often advocate meditation to others and it has helped me before, but I need to do it instead of talking about it! I do like Nirvair. I have several of his videos and should get the "Back Care" one.

We are out in the sticks and actually have a half mile hiking trail. DH needs to smooth it out with the tractor so we can walk outdoors. He should be getting to that this week.

It's so true that getting older brings unexpected challenges. Not just physical ones, either. I have to say I now understand why some seniors are cranky. You get to an age where you just don't have time for the BS.

One of the best things about VF is the inspiration of so many great folks who continue on trying to practice fitness and self-care despite many mental, physical and emotional hardships. Including the dreaded insomnia, which makes everything worse.

Thanks for the many hugs. You can't know how much they help!

Alta, you have always been a bright spot here, and we have had so many laughs together over the years. Those are the memories that I cherish so much. So thank you, for being you.

Boy, what I highlighted really has been my saving grace. I'm so grateful that I have had the trails across the street to run with my dogs. Walking outdoors is Mother Nature's Prozac. Seriously, they are the reason why I get outdoors on a daily basis. This morning as I was trudging through the overgrown grass, blackberry vines, etc., I thought how sad that my walks out here might be coming to an end. The upkeep is tough and I'm the only one who has been doing it yearly, and I just have not had to drive to beat my body this year. We do have a Bobcat with a mower attachment and I asked my DH over the weekend if he could use it to mow it down. I never ask for help, because his unwillingness to do something as a "honey do" doesn't come easy. So well see.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 02:37 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Alta, you have always been a bright spot here, and we have had so many laughs together over the years. Those are the memories that I cherish so much. So thank you, for being you.

Boy, what I highlighted really has been my saving grace. I'm so grateful that I have had the trails across the street to run with my dogs. Walking outdoors is Mother Nature's Prozac. Seriously, they are the reason why I get outdoors on a daily basis. This morning as I was trudging through the overgrown grass, blackberry vines, etc., I thought how sad that my walks out here might be coming to an end. The upkeep is tough and I'm the only one who has been doing it yearly, and I just have not had to drive to beat my body this year. We do have a Bobcat with a mower attachment and I asked my DH over the weekend if he could use it to mow it down. I never ask for help, because his unwillingness to do something as a "honey do" doesn't come easy. So well see.
Debbie!

Have you tried pulling your shirt up over your head when asking the DH for a favor? It sweetens the "honey do" and often brightens everyone's day.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 02:50 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry to hear it VV. You got a lot of great advice. I fell into what I called The Black Hole over the winter over my own issues and senses of loss. I'm struggling with this unreasonable - or maybe it's reasonable - fear of being old and incapacitated and helpless. It's like a monster under the bed.

I decided to just post something every day on the "Just the Workouts" monthly check-in. Even if it was a five minute walk. The walking is my base and workouts that I enjoy are helping. As you posted, I needed to "do it." Nirvair's
Heal Your Back Now was a gift to me from me, and a VF friend gifted me with some other Nirvair videos. Those were a huge help in clearing my mind. Nirvair made me like myself again. I'm exploring more happy, feel good workouts.

I also eliminated a source of stress that I was fortunately able to eliminate - my second job in retail. The extra bucks were nice and I liked the people I worked with, but it was too much of a strain so I made the sacrifice to quit it and focus on my full-time job only. Is there a source of strain in your life that you can eliminate?

I second Judith's suggestion to find a beautiful spot, a happy place.

{{{HUGS}}} to you - be well.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 03:28 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
(((Alta))) I'm so sorry for your losses.

I really had to dig dip after the loss of my mom and brother back in Sept. It's still really hard, emotionally, and even typing this is making me boo hooey.

What I did is something completely out of my comfort zone. I signed up for Ashley Horner's 10 week Transform challenge in hopes that it would keep me totally focused on a zone. I'm completing my 3rd in a week. I also recently signed up for two virtual charity runs. I always wanted to run a 5k, but the thought of driving to one, and running with a bunch of people with the end result a medal, never appealed to me, but running where I wanted to and on my time, and running or competing for a cause really enticed me. I finished my first, which was a 5k and the proceeds going toward battered women and children. The second, which I did this morning, was the Murph Challenge. The proceeds go towards paying the college tuitions for the children of fallen service men and women.

I have to say that the accomplishments that I've achieved since I committed these challenges to myself have helped so much. It is slowly tearing away the emotional pain, not only from my losses, but from life in general, and is helping build up my self esteem
I am so sorry for your losses. (((((Hugs))))) I love reading your posts and think you are amazing!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 04:52 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Debbie!

Have you tried pulling your shirt up over your head when asking the DH for a favor? It sweetens the "honey do" and often brightens everyone's day.
Alta, this is why we love you at VF!!

Sending hugs your way. I'm sorry for your losses. My father also passed away in January. After that, I was sick for about two to three months. I wasn't totally over my cough when allergy season has hit. I guess such is life. I hope you'll be able to go on your walks soon. I think walks and sunshine really do help.

Hugs to everyone else who have lost loved ones or going through a difficult time.
Old 05-31-16, 05:09 PM  
J'Ann

I'm pulling out of a slump also, due to family illnesses, my injuries, broken equipment, etc.

The one DVD that always makes me smile is Ellen Barrett's Crunch Fat Burning Pilates. It is impossible not to be encouraged watching Ravi the drummer. It's under $5 at Amazon right now.

J'Ann
J'Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 05:56 PM  
kalliope999

You've already received excellent advice and responses, but I just wanted to add my condolences. I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time and have suffered the loss of friends.

I'm with those who think you should just try to be kind to yourself. Walking in nature, meditating, reading thoughtful or supportive books, finding someone to talk to, and taking indulgent baths all sound appropriate. I wouldn't worry about not doing your normal workouts, or about trying to do a certain amount that you feel you should. Mental and emotional stresses are rough on the body as well as the mind and you could use some more down time and recovery. Simple outdoor walking will keep you moving and help your mood. Eventually you will reach a point in your healing at which you feel bored or crave more structured movement, and you can do more then. For now, just take care of yourself.
Old 05-31-16, 06:09 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Oh my, I'm so sorry for the losses so many VFers have had lately.

One thing I noticed when my beloved dog died, how physically tired it made me. I have no answers or suggestions to this, but that can make fitness difficult beyond the mental stress. It did get me going to the gym mid morning. Something I really like when I can work it into my work schedule. For me it is a higher energy time. ymmv
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grief, loss, slump