Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-16, 11:38 PM  
lorajc

Best For Muscle Spasms/Fascia Pain?

Elaine Petrone Balls
Jill Miller Tune Up Balls
Regular Foam Roller or Foam Roller with Fingers/Nubbies
Yamuna Balls (spelling?)

Melt Method Balls (I don't own these and have only heard that they are various sized balls)

Is there something I don't know about that is good for muscle spasms/fascia pain?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 12:06 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have to say it....Classical Stretch/Essentrics. Great for pain relief and Miranda talks specifically about fascia.

I don't know what your needs are or your fitness level is, but I would suggest looking at the new Aging Backwards dvds. There's a chapter for Pain Relief. Both dvds have a great intro/tutorial about the technique and Miranda does great instruction.

From time to time, I use Jill Miller's "On Demand Pain Relief". Some people can't handle the balls on their tissue; it can be painful. I didn't get much benefit from the MELT program; in fact I sold it. Yamuna, to me, is very similar to Jill Miller's programs.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 08:33 AM  
bubbles76

I don't have muscle spasms or fascia pain, but it doesn't sound very good. I would not do the Tune Up Balls yet, as they are harder than the pinkie balls. If it's actual pain and not soreness I would start off with the softer Petrone Balls.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 05:29 PM  
lorajc

Nobody else?
Old 01-20-16, 08:37 PM  
ncl

I use a spiky ball

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s02

and also this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

My massage therapist says the spiky ball is good for fascia and the other more for muscle. I don't know if that is true, but I like these and use them regularly. Of course, seeing my massage therapist is better and I have a PT who will do manual therapy with massage and dry needling and that works really well, too.

HTH. I tend to have lots of trigger points and fascia issues.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 11:28 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
I use a spiky ball

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s02

and also this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

My massage therapist says the spiky ball is good for fascia and the other more for muscle. I don't know if that is true, but I like these and use them regularly. Of course, seeing my massage therapist is better and I have a PT who will do manual therapy with massage and dry needling and that works really well, too.

HTH. I tend to have lots of trigger points and fascia issues.
Hi - Do you think the little nubbies on that one ball - the Stress Buster Ball - make it "much" better than the plain rubber balls without the nubbies? I have the Yoga Tune Up balls and don't want to get the Stress Buster one unless it REALLY is different. Yes, I have lot's of spasms and MANY trigger points as well. My entire back, neck & shoulders are like cement.
Old 01-21-16, 12:34 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Nobody else?
I've just started using a product called the Fascia Blaster by Ashley Black. It is $90 and it looks like a stick with lots of fingers mounted on it. Feels really good. I can see myself using it more than the various size balls I currently have. I'm really intrigued by her migraine relief videos using the Fascia Blaster and I tried it during my last migraine and it seemed to help calm down the severity of the migraine.
Old 01-21-16, 12:23 PM  
lorajc

Yes, I think I have that one too....I got it and it was called ...."The Stick". I can't reach my back, upper back and shoulders where most of my spasms are....so the stick....is good for legs...though! and I never thought of using in on my Migraines! I'll have to check that out. I guess that's it then?

I have everything I listed.....and also have a stick that has 2 balls on it that you line up with your head or shoulders and can squeeze the balls, per se, and get a sort of trigger point massage on those areas....but again, it doesn't target the upper back! I guess the Yamuna balls will have to do?

I'm afraid to get on my Rumble Roller yet....cuz when I got in my car accident on Halloween, they told me I had chipped 2 vertebra....and from what I read ...they take about 3 months to heal...so I'm going to give it a good 6 months before I Rumble Roll my upper back like it's used to....heck....for all I know I chipped my own vertebra Rumble Rolling!! No....I'm just kidding!! although...that' thing does get my cement like back!! I miss it!

I'm curious if I should order this Stress Buster Ball or if my Jill Miller Tune Up Balls are good enough?
Old 01-21-16, 12:26 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't have muscle spasms or fascia pain, but it doesn't sound very good. I would not do the Tune Up Balls yet, as they are harder than the pinkie balls. If it's actual pain and not soreness I would start off with the softer Petrone Balls.

Bubbles - you are always so kind to me!! I've always felt a special connection to you. Thanks for always being there for me. Just wanted to say that my spasms are mainly secondary to my disc herniations in my back and I have fibromyalgia too, for what it's worth.....not sure if that's a diagnosis these days? Back when I was diagnosed, it was very controversial.
Old 01-21-16, 12:49 PM  
gladgirl

My husband suffered from back spasms...to the point where he just curled over in pain/discomfort.
What helped him are two things...orthotic shoe inserts from GoodFeet and foot reflexology which I would perform on him. (No I am not certified or anything, just read about it and asked if he wanted to try it). We started with daily 10min each foot massages in the beginning.
He is doing, in my opinion, miraculously! He wears his shoe inserts daily and only when he overdoes it, do I give him a foot massage.
It is my understanding you can do the reflexology on your hand instead of your feet, but I never tried that.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote