Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-15, 10:51 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Coo-coo....crazy! I don't do any of Ellen's workouts and after that nonsense, I'm going to continue not doing them, lol.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 11:04 AM  
Calistro

I have a few of Ellen's workouts which I use from time to time and I don't mean to be offensive to Ellen but I sometimes think her background exercisers have better form and posture than she does.
I am not sure what it is, but something about her form during the workouts do not sit well with me but I try to ignore it.

Though I must say when I bought Natalie Spadaccino's dvds I tried one and it was great! I thought to myself that Natalie's workout is what Ellen's should have been as she has better form.

Also If I really paid attention to Ellen's theories on weight training, I would be out of a job.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 11:18 AM  
Sara1000

There is some wisdom in the article: be careful of your ligaments because IF you injure one it will take a long time to heal and can cause pain for years to come. I have had this experience from lifting too heavy, that is, I increased my weights faster than I should have.

Probably when she recommends a five pound limit she is thinking of her own workouts, which contain mostly shoulder work done pretty fast.

Anyway, be careful of your joints and ligaments.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 11:41 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
My cat weighs at least 10 lbs and she does get shoulder pressed from time to time. If you weigh 100 lbs and do push-ups, you are lifting at least a quarter of your body weight. That's definitely more than using 5 lb weights.
Exactly! Why do those who are SO set against lifting weights not understand the concept that when you lift your own body weight you are still "lifting heavy". For goodness sake, unless you weigh next to nothing, body weight exercises are putting the same (or MORE) resistance on your muscles, joints and tendons then lifting a dumbbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I'm no Ellen fan but, to be fair, she does warn against "repeatedly" lifting heavy weight. Lifting kids and grocery bags and handbags probably aren't considered as weight lifting, as in repeatedly lifting weights for several reps/sets.
Yes but therein lies the problem with her theories. Strengthening your muscles actually protects your joints, ligaments and tendons. If you build a base of muscle strength you will be much less likely to rupture or tear a tendon or ligament when you DO go to lift your kids, grocery bags or 20 lb cat. The force and pressure is absorbed into your muscle, not your joints. Hence you are protecting your future self from injury. I know so many women who hurt their backs, shoulders, rotator cuffs, knees etc because they went to do something that should be relatively simple (like lifting their kid) but since they didn't have the muscle strength all that weight they were lifting strained some other connective tissue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I think it's rich that she is claiming to be so concerned about muscle balance. What I remember of her DVDs, they were very imbalanced. No posterior chain work at all. It is my impression that that is the biggest cause of injury from muscle imbalances. Maybe any physical therapists here can chime in?
Exactly. It isn't easy to build any serious strength in the posterior chain using body weight only exercise. Unless you have a pull up bar or suspension trainer, which many people don't have. It certainly doesn't exist in Ellen's workouts.

One thing I find hilarious about Ellen...well two things, is that:

1. She doesn't allow any comments on her blog. It's easy to spout nonsense you can't back up if you are talking into a vacuum and not allowing any response to your statements.

2. She doesn't bother to support her claims with a SINGLE link to any supporting research. Anyone can say anything. I can say the grass is blue and the sky is green if I want to, but that doesn't make it true. If you are going to make such a bold and absolutist statement, you better be prepared to back it up with some valid research articles and links.

Speaking of, how about these:

http://stretchcoach.com/articles/strength-training/

http://www.uihealthcare.org/content.aspx?id=22991

http://www.muscleforlife.com/weightl...oint-problems/

https://www.acsm.org/docs/current-comments/rtandip.pdf

Old 09-15-15, 11:44 AM  
little bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
There is some wisdom in the article: be careful of your ligaments because IF you injure one it will take a long time to heal and can cause pain for years to come. I have had this experience from lifting too heavy, that is, I increased my weights faster than I should have.
Probably when she recommends a five pound limit she is thinking of her own workouts, which contain mostly shoulder work done pretty fast.

I did this too, advancing weights too rapidly with the Firm. It took several years for it to heal completely. I just realized about a month ago that it didn't bother me anymore.
Old 09-15-15, 12:00 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Some funny comments in this thread!

I tried a few of Ellen's workouts and didn't like them.

Some instructors need to shut up and just do the workouts.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 12:18 PM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Isn't this a Tracy Anderson axiom as well, except that she recommends no more than 3 lbs?
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 12:44 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post

This is the reason that Classical Stretch / Essentrics does not implement even light weights with their routines. Lots of joint work and they don't want you loading / adding stress to the joint.
Old 09-15-15, 12:45 PM  
TinierTina

I am in no condition to be lifting weights of any seriousness.
But quite a few dancer/instructors swear by them. And I follow those ...

http://www.dancefitnesswithjessica.c...f21fee13b44b46

To be sure, it's those circuit-training-inspired light numbers, but it's still (to me) serious weights ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 01:53 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Well there is the lady that was doing 3 hours of just cardio a day then upped it to 4 hours a day 4 days a week, two hours a day on Friday, two hours a day on Saturday and one hour a day on sunday and was trying to figure out how to break out of that size 16 dress and get to the Promised Land dress size of 14. After 7 months of just cardio, she was still a size 16, just a smaller one but still a size 16 nonetheless. Then she got up to a size 18 due to depression of thinking she was never going to get there then she started lifting weights and in 5 months was a size 12 from a size 18! She got to the Promised Land plus some! Who was that anyway? Oh wait! That was me. Then there is the nearly 70 year old lady that got taken off of her osteoporosis medication because she started lifting weights. She got up to 10 lbs dumb bells then 15 and her doctor said your bones are strong enough. No more medicine and this is years after being a slave to those pills. Just sayin'.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ellen barret, ellen barrett, heavy weights, instructor behaving badly, tennis elbow