Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-15, 10:20 AM  
BunnyHop

Honestly? Discussing the contents of the box with someone other than the named recipient just strikes me as wrong.

Your new neighbor has boundary issues.
Old 09-11-15, 10:51 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I opened an Amazon box once. I was so excited it came I didn't read the label.....I would not cast dark motives and evil intentions on someone opening a box, as I did it quite innocently and then was terrified at what I had done.
This happened to me recently. We order tons from Amazon, a box showed up on our doorstep, I opened it and assumed DH must have ordered the book inside. It was only when I glanced at the packing slip that I realized my error (our address ends in 3, the neighbor's in 9, so I think the UPS guy misread the label and made an honest mistake as well). I re-taped the box and dropped it on my neighbor's porch with an apology note.

I agree that your neighbor mentioning the contents is a little odd, but maybe he just felt awkward about the whole thing. I'd write it off as an honest mistake.
Old 09-11-15, 10:58 AM  
Judy W.

I ordered a book from Amazon a number of years ago. After a number of days it hadn't arrived, so I went to Amazon to track the package. It was noted as having been 'Delivered' a number of days before! I looked into it further and found that it had been delivered to an address 3 streets away from me which had my same house number! And of course, I didn't know the folks.

So I went on over and knocked on the door of this place with the same house number. I explained the situation, and the person said "Oh, yes, we got it." Went in and gathered up the open package and handed it to me without so much as an apology. I was shocked, and rendered uncharacteristically mute, so I just said "Thank you" and left.

Putting the best light on it, I figured maybe one of the kids in the home opened it, and the people were too embarrassed to take the trouble to bring me the package. I would hope so! It was an out-of-print book I had loved as a child, so I'm quite sure it wasn't of any use to them. Still, they handled it poorly.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 11:13 AM  
mtngoat

A few years ago I was expecting several packages from ebay.

One day I received a small package. I excitedly tore it open to find a small glittered formal purse. What???? I looked at the remains of the wrapping and was horrified that it was addressed to someone with the same house number, one block over.

I re-wrapped it as well as I could, wrote a short note, and took it to the rightful owner's home. I knocked on the door, but he wasn't home, so I left the note. I felt really bad.

I never heard back from the owner, but always hoped he didn't harbour any conspiracy theories about someone opening his package. A year or so later I heard his name on the news - he had been murdered. The yellow police tape surrounded his house, so I knew it was the same person.

Long story short- it can happen as pure accident, and the person may feel bad.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 11:19 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
Putting the best light on it, I figured maybe one of the kids in the home opened it, and the people were too embarrassed to take the trouble to bring me the package. I would hope so! It was an out-of-print book I had loved as a child, so I'm quite sure it wasn't of any use to them. Still, they handled it poorly.
Wow, I agree that wasn't handled well at all. If you hadn't gone over there, I wonder what they would have done with the book?

About a year ago I came home from work and found a HUGE box on the side of my house. The box was in poor condition and was partially ripped open and I could see that it was a bed frame and a headboard. I contacted the person it was supposed to go to who lived down the street and explained someone had dumped their furniture delivery in my yard. Later that night, someone picked it up. I have no idea why it was delivered to my house and just dumped there. It wasn't my name or address on the label.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 01:44 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

On a note about partners, we open each other's mail sometimes. And sometimes not, in fact, my husband dumped junk mail addressed to me on my desk- why didn't he throw it away?

Some people look through each other's phones too, something I am not comfortable with, but some people don't care. I actually wouldn't particularly care if my husband read my email- but not my texts. I keep my texts cleaned off my phone and don't understand why my husband and daughter don't. I hate the clutter. I actually have some pretty personal conversations with my sister over text. Funny enough, my husband feels free to do whatever with my phone (use if for maps or google, not to look at my texts or email) but doesn't love me on his, hhhhhhmmmm. His phone is so freaking slow, I can't stand to use it so pretty much don't.

I guess my point is, be sure to set your comfort boundaries on stuff like that. Some people get used to sharing everything and young kids in particular seem to go through their bf's and gf's phones. (not that I approve of that, because I feel like that is kind of creepy.) They may not give a second thought to something you find intrusive, so speak up.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 01:52 PM  
cfwb

I've accidentally opened mis-delivered mail a time or two. Honest mistakes happen, and hopefully that's what it was in this case. However, I think the appropriate response when you do this is to apologize for opening the item and to pretend you never saw the contents.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 03:35 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Always check the address, my unfortunate story

I once accidentally opened a letter addressed to my neighbors that contained a threat to them. I didn't know what to do. I finally printed up a new envelope and resent it to them. I also phoned a police number (not from my phone) where you could report things anonymously because I could not have lived with myself if I hadn't. They moved about a year later. Nothing ever happened to them as far as I know.

It taught me a valuable lesson about checking the address before opening anything. Sometimes there are things you wish you'd never found out. I still shiver just thinking about it.
Old 09-11-15, 04:30 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post

Some people look through each other's phones too, something I am not comfortable with, but some people don't care. I actually wouldn't particularly care if my husband read my email- but not my texts. I keep my texts cleaned off my phone and don't understand why my husband and daughter don't. I hate the clutter. I actually have some pretty personal conversations with my sister over text. Funny enough, my husband feels free to do whatever with my phone (use if for maps or google, not to look at my texts or email) but doesn't love me on his, hhhhhhmmmm. His phone is so freaking slow, I can't stand to use it so pretty much don't.
Guilty! I totally go through my husband's text messages. He doesn't really care for it, but he lets me do it anyway. I will say, "what was so-and-so talking about [in this text]?" And he will reply, "what are you doing going through my texts?" LOL

I'm just curious what's going on in his world when I'm not with him. I don't do it often...probably once a month.

He never looks through my phone or texts, though. I guess he's not that interested in my text conversations. On the flip side, however, he is an I.T. professional and he has something flagged in my settings on my iPhone to where he can track it at any time. It's not "Find My Phone" and it's not the family sharing thing either. He will sometimes call or text and say, "what are you doing at Target?" [or wherever I'm at.] I pretend like I want to disable his access, but I really don't mind.

ETA: Jane P - How frightening!
Old 09-11-15, 04:43 PM  
mtnmom

Several years ago, I used to order clothing from an online source (now, no longer in business). One order never showed up and I had them look into it. I got a call back and they asked if I knew a Diana CraXXXXX on my street. I did. My name is Diane CraXXX - very similar.

Apparently they received an irate call from Diana because an item was delivered to her that she didn't order (she said she had never heard of the store and didn't know why they were sending her anything). She was very upset and wanted to be sure her credit card wasn't being charged. They made note of the call, but didn't put 2 and 2 together until I called.

So they suggested I ask her about it.

I went over to her house and she said that this top was delivered to her and it certainly wouldn't fit her so she threw it away. She said it was addressed to her (I highly doubt that) and she was scared that her credit card was charged for it. I told her I didn't think so because my card was charged.

She didn't apologize at all.

The company credited me back for the charge. But I sure viewed my neighbor differently after that.

Tags
neighbor opened box