Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-15, 12:01 PM  
Aunt Famous

Faith:

I like Total Core Pilates by Jules Benson, Quick Cut Pilates by Molly Tittle, and the two Andrea Speir disks. Pilates for Men is also great.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-15, 12:58 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey Mary, I know what you mean about the dread factor with CS -- I sort of have it, too. I think if they really do make you feel better/help you, you should just try to view them as vegetables and try to figure out the minimum you can do per week to still get enough benefit. Then, just make yourself do it -- for that kind of thing I always do that workout first, get it done, and then do my "fun" workout. Good luck!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-15, 01:49 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith458 View Post
Jane P. thank you for the recommendations. I have been taking Pilates reformer classes for the last 5 weeks. There is no dread factor!

Faith
the Classical Pilates organization has made a Reformer dvd that's very good, but you'd have to take it with you or have a reformer at home.
Old 08-13-15, 03:09 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
for me, with Miranda, I just didn't like her voice and style, and the ocean looked so grey. I live in Hawaii, and I want my oceans to be BLUE!
LOL, Jeannine! Now that you mention it, I guess those waves aren't quite as blue as they could be.

I actually like Miranda's personality. But--I TRIED to do CS this morning and I.Just.Couldn't. I really don't understand what the hangup is. I sure do have one, though, and it's BIG. I wonder if perhaps I just prefer nice, slow-mo, static stretching. Think I'll revert to hatha yoga for my tight hips.

(Bee--I actually love veggies. They're my favorite food group! I guess I'd have to think of CS as fruit. I don't hate fruit, yet I have to force myself to eat it. I might try to do my CS workout in small segments, as Cybersparkle suggested.)
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-15, 07:27 PM  
faith458

I tried CS and just couldn't get into them. Unfortunately, I fall in and out of exercising. I'll do really well for a good while and then I'll get sick or busy and fall off the wagon. I need videos that I enjoy. A PA recommended pilates when an X-ray showed small bone spurs in my lower spine. I loved Fix 21 videos, but they aggravated the plantar fasciitis that I hadn't had for 5 years. I love my reformer class. Pilates is helping my foot, so I figure that I would do mat work on other days.

Aunt Famous thank you for the suggestions. I actually did the Molly Tittles workout this afternoon. l forgot how much I liked it. I hated the Ana Caban video that I did the other day. That one has major dread for me. Ironically, I ordered the 2 Andrea Spears videos last night. I also order 2 Lisa Hubbard workouts.

Jane P: I would love a reformer. Now if I could just find the $3000+ I would need to buy one.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-15, 10:38 PM  
angie_nrs

If you know what works for you body, perhaps you can find what you need without the dread? There are tons of choices out there now and I think that is what the majority of us struggle with on this forum. My question is always; what combo can I put together to get MY best results? That's why it's so easy to be enabled on this forum. Sometimes it works.....sometimes it doesn't.

I think you are lucky in knowing that you are getting good results with a particular segment of workouts. Your question should be; what is most like the workouts that are working for me that aren't those exact workouts? And the enabling begins.....

As far as dread.....I can take any amount for a short time. I break my schedule down into rotations so that I put myself out of my comfort zone for at least a couple of months. Then, I examine how effective the workouts were to achieving my goal and consider how I felt doing them. Sometimes the trade off just isn't worth it. Then again, sometimes I find a diamond in the ruff b/c I extended myself beyond what I typically do and got results. And, sometimes I actually grow to like something I hated before.....although not very often. So, I don't necessarily think dread is a bad thing if you can learn something from it. Although personally, I don't do dread on a constant basis.
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-15, 02:14 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
If you know what works for you body, perhaps you can find what you need without the dread? There are tons of choices out there now and I think that is what the majority of us struggle with on this forum. My question is always; what combo can I put together to get MY best results? That's why it's so easy to be enabled on this forum. Sometimes it works.....sometimes it doesn't.

I think you are lucky in knowing that you are getting good results with a particular segment of workouts. Your question should be; what is most like the workouts that are working for me that aren't those exact workouts? And the enabling begins.....

As far as dread.....I can take any amount for a short time. I break my schedule down into rotations so that I put myself out of my comfort zone for at least a couple of months. Then, I examine how effective the workouts were to achieving my goal and consider how I felt doing them. Sometimes the trade off just isn't worth it. Then again, sometimes I find a diamond in the ruff b/c I extended myself beyond what I typically do and got results. And, sometimes I actually grow to like something I hated before.....although not very often. So, I don't necessarily think dread is a bad thing if you can learn something from it. Although personally, I don't do dread on a constant basis.
Good points, Angie! And so true about the enabling!!!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dread factor