Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-14, 04:11 PM  
Hej

Activity Tracker for Christmas?

Did anyone get an activity tracker for Christmas? Fitbit, Garmin, Polar, Mio, Basis, Jawbone, something else? Do you know someone else who did? I recently got a Garmin Vivosmart and I'm looking to connect with people who've also got a new device. Thanks in advance.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-14, 09:42 PM  
killoffsonny

I got a samsung. Not sure what to say about it because I'm still figuring it out. I will see how it tracks my sleep when I go to bed tonight. I mainly wanted it to track my steps and give my heart rate. It's synced with my samsung galaxy phone so when I get a text, email or phone call it notifies me. Kind of cool.
Old 12-26-14, 07:26 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Yesterday I broke in my new Garmin Vivofit with heart rate monitor by doing KCM's Trim Down Boxing Premix.

I have to admit that I absolutely love my FitBit Ultra (and I wore it too!), but I desperately miss my Force. I am a bit hesitant to purchase the Surge since the Charge is reportedly having the same issues as the Force. The Vivofit is my current 'substitute'. We'll see how things go but I'm not crossing the Surge off of my list - yet!

I do have to admit it is nice to see my heart rate on the chart.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-14, 09:06 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
Yesterday I broke in my new Garmin Vivofit with heart rate monitor by doing KCM's Trim Down Boxing Premix.

I have to admit that I absolutely love my FitBit Ultra (and I wore it too!), but I desperately miss my Force. I am a bit hesitant to purchase the Surge since the Charge is reportedly having the same issues as the Force. The Vivofit is my current 'substitute'. We'll see how things go but I'm not crossing the Surge off of my list - yet!

I do have to admit it is nice to see my heart rate on the chart.

Do you think the heart rate monitor gave you a more true count of calories burned? I am thinking of getting a Vivofit w/heart rate monitor. Let me know what you think.

Denise

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-14, 06:03 PM  
warriorprincess

I'm holding out for the Apple Watch!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-14, 07:27 PM  
Cher

I got the Garmin Vivofit too. I have a Fitbit One which I love and wasn't really looking for anything new but I got the Garmin one anyway. I was debating whether I should keep it or not.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-14, 11:20 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Not sure yet on the Vivofit as I'm still experimenting with it.
I haven't used a heart rate monitor in years. I had one years ago and lost the watch. I find it interesting to see my heart rate charted, however, and a couple of times I thought I had a higher heart rate than I did on the past couple of workouts this weekend. Interesting. Wish it had an altimeter to count stairs.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-14, 12:26 PM  
altinker

I had the Fitbit Force last year, and I used it for about 4 months until a close friend got a rash that wouldn't go away. It looked nasty enough that I put my Force into a drawer for a few months. I sent the Force in for a refund, and I got my $140 check. I turned around and bought a Fitbit Charge HR. It does tell me my heart rate, but I can't figure out how to see the heart rate charted out or mapped out. I am a lot more active when I wear a Fitbit because I want to meet my goal, and it forces me to get up and move.

If anybody has any ideas how to show me my heart rate graphed, that would be helpful.
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-14, 12:54 PM  
DrH

questions

Can someone tell me how these wrist bands are measuring HR? Is it infrared on the wrist? So its actually pulse rate? Or do some of them use a chest strap like a heart rate monitor?

If there is no chest strap and it uses pulse rate has anyone compared the readings to a heart rate monitor? I have heard that the infrared method is not reliable esp. during exercise when perspiration/movement etc. interferes? and that they can be out by up to 50%

I really want one but I'm hesitant. Any info would e great.

TIA
DrH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 12:56 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I bought a Garmin Vivofit last week. WORST fitness device ever!

The step count is way off and I can't figure out how to adjust it. Setting it up was a pain and instructions were basically "go to our website." But the worst part is that the website just doesn't work. It was down for most of the weekend and most of today. When I finally managed to sync about an hour ago, the step count for yesterday was off by a couple thousand. The report graph doesn't work and neither does syncing with My Fitness Pal. Lots of angry customers on their Facebook page.

The only reason to get one of these is to use as a HRM if you have an ANT+ chest strap. Otherwise, get a Fitbit - their site is much, much better.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activity tracker, fitbit, garmin, jawbone