Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-11, 09:57 PM  
ncl

I would say, if you can manage, get them both. These are my favorites in then new workouts...love them! I like the Longevity Series more than any other Tracie workouts (and I have them all). Love these!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 11:36 PM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I did Leaning Out again (2nd time) and liked it MUCH better this time. I did the warm-up, then hit next until the cardio (6 minutes), then went back and picked it up after the warm up and did the DVD straight through.

What weights are you all using for LO?

I forgot to mention, but ALL the earlier Longevity Releases have sound variation problems; so Leaning Out has that corrected.
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 11:58 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Barb, what were your thoughts when you did the Leaning Out the first time? I'm really struggling with this dvd, and I'm not exactly sure why...one insignificant thing (but not to me) is the platform she exercises on. I'm hating it. I must be a weirdo, but I'm almost worried she's going to fall off it and I can't relax and enjoy doing the workout like I do Defining Shape or Firm Maximum Body Shape.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:39 AM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Barb, what were your thoughts when you did the Leaning Out the first time? I'm really struggling with this dvd, and I'm not exactly sure why...one insignificant thing (but not to me) is the platform she exercises on. I'm hating it. I must be a weirdo, but I'm almost worried she's going to fall off it and I can't relax and enjoy doing the workout like I do Defining Shape or Firm Maximum Body Shape.
The first few times I tried Leaning Out, I couldn't get past the warm up. I HATED the repetitive music. I tried it 3 days in a row only to last a couple of minutes - then b4 my next attempt, I said I was going to finish the workout no matter what. So I got through the warm up and the music improved. I still didn't feel the lovefest that everyone else was feeling; I didn't understand the cardio...the floorwork - neither seemed enough to bother having. (I also felt this way about Defining Shape - to me it was a 30 minute workout - after that it is all fluff - not enough balance, floorwork)

Also, pushups on the dumbbells kill my hands - but not enough time when you need to lift the weight.

So when I did the workout last night and added in the other cardio, (even though it is so easy), I just liked the whole thing better - plus on the dumbbell pushups, I used padded dumbells - which even though were too light (5 lbs), helped with the pain.

On the leg part, lunge forward, lunge side, switch legs - lunge back, one leg squat - I still would mess up sometimes which leg had the wt on the squat - I guess it would even out though.

I like that she is on a platform - I move way more than that on the cardio. She's not going to fall off - I think the platform is there to show that the workout can be done in a small space.

I had been revisiting her older stuff (TLPS,TLTs,Yorktowns) and the earliest stuff (pre-TLT) used her best music and better cardio.

I wonder why she stopped doing the V overhead press.
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:52 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Thanks, Barb. I started this workout 3 different times, and have never finished it. I like Tracie's other dvds, but I'm not feeling the love or even like for this one. Maybe, like you, I should commit to finishing it and then see if I like it better.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 07:40 AM  
Dabbadooey

I did Leaning Out today for the first time. I did not care for it at all. It's just all over the place and seems unorganized. I doubt I will reach for it again.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 08:37 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

I've heard the word disorganized used to describe Tracie Long's workouts before. When I first got the Longevity workouts, I thought that too. But after doing them a few times, I think that they are actually much more well thought out than they appear at first glance.

Tracie puts together (dare I say 'choreographs') combinations using functional movements that hit everything well without overworking anything. Once she goes through a combination of compound exerices, she throws it away and moves to the next combination. It's never a standard sort of weight workout where "we're working triceps now" and "now biceps". It's an overall approach to working the body.

I enjoy the way the workouts are put together. It staves off boredom for me. With her workouts, I've been able to maintain functional strength, flexibitiliy, core strength without feeling wiped out or getting injured. But I can see where they wouldn't be for everyone.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-13, 08:59 AM  
Tish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I did Leaning Out today for the first time. I did not care for it at all. It's just all over the place and seems unorganized. I doubt I will reach for it again.
I'm sorry you didn't click with it and I can see why you would feel that way. Your main complaint is what I like about the workout. I have a short attention span when it comes to non-yoga or pilates workouts and the busyness of the workout keeps me engaged.
Old 02-02-13, 07:00 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I have only done Leaning Out once, but I really liked it.

While I seem to be on a Tracie kick right now, I get why some don't quite click with her workouts, as I have been hit or miss with them myself. I appreciate the fact that she does an exercise then moves on to the next thing, like the Firm does. I find as I get older I am more particular and don't really care for repetitive at all. I can see why some feel they are a bit scattered, I don't feel they are overly so.

I also liked Staying Power the first time I did it, the second time I didn't but that may have been my mood. I have since reacquired and we will give it another try.

I did Defining Shape once and wanted to like it but just didn't. The nearly 6 minute squat segment turned me off, was just too long.

So far I think Leaning Out is my favorite Tracie workout, I also like Defined Lines. I have been hit and miss with the other Longevities, but am trying some of them again. Tracie's workouts seem to be on the lines of the direction I am going fitness wise, and I appreciate their purpose.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 07:10 AM  
shannonleigh23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
I've heard the word disorganized used to describe Tracie Long's workouts before. When I first got the Longevity workouts, I thought that too. But after doing them a few times, I think that they are actually much more well thought out than they appear at first glance.

Tracie puts together (dare I say 'choreographs') combinations using functional movements that hit everything well without overworking anything. Once she goes through a combination of compound exerices, she throws it away and moves to the next combination. It's never a standard sort of weight workout where "we're working triceps now" and "now biceps". It's an overall approach to working the body.

I enjoy the way the workouts are put together. It staves off boredom for me. With her workouts, I've been able to maintain functional strength, flexibitiliy, core strength without feeling wiped out or getting injured. But I can see where they wouldn't be for everyone.
Perfectly put, Nat

In regards to the OP, I like Leaning Out better. It has a better overall cardio effect with the functional weights for me.

Tags
defining shape, leaning out, longevity, tracie long, tracie long training